Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Very Crowded at WDW this week in the News & Rumors forums; Apparently Disney was correct in expecting record crowds in the parks this week. LookingGlass is spending spring break / Easter there with her parents and her daughter. They were at ...
    BusDriver is offline Fastpass Holder

Very Crowded at WDW this week

Apparently Disney was correct in expecting record crowds in the parks this week. LookingGlass is spending spring break / Easter there with her parents and her daughter. They were at MK yesterday & DHS today, with large crowds both days.

She talked with some CM's today who told her it was the busiest they had ever seen. One of the counter service restaurants briefly ran out of food until more was quickly shipped in. They were only able to do about half the rides / shows because of the crowds and wait times, but through their ADR, did see Fantasmic for the first time and loved it!
    My Dream Job - WDW Bus Driver

1975 - First Visit; 1985 High School Band Trip; 1986 Grad Night; 1992 First Visit with two oldest daughters; 1997 First Visit with Son; 1998 Joined DVC; 2003 First Visit with Twins

Many visits staying at Old Key West, Grand Floridian, Boardwalk, Contemporary, Disney Institute & All Star Sports

Re: Very Crowded at WDW this week

It makes you wonder why they laid people off when it's that busy. I guess the recession isn't effecting them too much.

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

dsnyqwn1 is offline Fastpass Holder

Hopefully this is just because of Easter this weekend and that the crowds will thin out a little in the next 17 days. I dont mind it being busy but extremely busy is when my personal bubble gets invaded.

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...

Quote Originally Posted by lorilovestigger View Post
    It makes you wonder why they laid people off when it's that busy. I guess the recession isn't effecting them too much.
    Most people that were laid off were not in the parks, they were backstage.
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

Zipadeedooda is offline Fastpass Holder

thats y i like to go in August, when its not very busy because most Florida residents are back in school
    Noah

Where Magic Lives

"its a glorious three hour finale I call A Tribute to all Nations but Mostly AMERICA!"

"Now approaching Tomorrowland's Space Mountain"

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars

Quote Originally Posted by MayBWeRMnt2B View Post
    Most people that were laid off were not in the parks, they were backstage.
    Sadly this is not true. They did cut many from onstage positions. As Disney does, they worded it so that you would think they were all backstage.

And yes VERY busy in the parks these days.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by TrendyMagic View Post
    Sadly this is not true. They did cut many from onstage positions. As Disney does, they worded it so that you would think they were all backstage.

And yes VERY busy in the parks these days.
    Actually, I heard directly from a castmember on another forum that most of the cuts WERE backstage people - however, a lot of them were the support people for the "on-stage" CMs, like Castmember Services, which directly affects the CMs who work in the parks.

"Busy" is a subjective measurement. The parks can be busy and still be 10% less full. but one of the reported problems is not that there are less people at the moment, but there is less revenue because people are being more careful with their spending. That coupled with the expected drop in actual attendance could spell more layoffs.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

We previously saw a seasonal decrease in CMs during an unexpected increase in crowds. The attraction wait times were a little longer than expected, but the biggest change we saw was a decrease in service for CS meals, TS meals,package pick-ip, etc...

I have a picture of LookingGlass (aka Sherry), in front of Test Track this morning. Pretty big crowd behind her, and looks like a two hour wait in standby. I can't get the photo to upload, but will keep trying.

1975 - First Visit; 1985 High School Band Trip; 1986 Grad Night; 1992 First Visit with two oldest daughters; 1997 First Visit with Son; 1998 Joined DVC; 2003 First Visit with Twins

Many visits staying at Old Key West, Grand Floridian, Boardwalk, Contemporary, Disney Institute & All Star Sports

Here is the photo from Epcot. I also placed several more from her trip on Flickr.

Sherry at Test Track, April 7, 09 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

JRZDisneyGirl is offline A-Ticket holder

We were in EPCOT today, and it was insane. The only other time I can compare it to is New Year's Eve. Uncomfortably crowded is the nice way of describing it.

clion is offline Fastpass Holder

The Magic Kingdom was so crowded yesterday, it went to a phase 4 closing by late afternoon. That means no more guests were allowed into the park. I'd say that's pretty solid evidence of crowds.

This according to the Orlando Sentinel's Dwayne Bevil, who posted the info on Twitter.
    "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are.
    Anything your heart desires will come to you ..."

Author of the DisneyDaddy blog | Writer for Celebrations Magazine
    D23 Charter Member | Annual Passholder | Named Disney's Biggest Fan (by Disney and United Vacations)

GUNMETALSCION is offline B-Ticket Holder

being busy for a couple of days in the middle of most schools spring break is not going to pad their bank account enough to carry them the rest of the year if you looked at attendance on a line graph I'd bet you would have more valleys than peeks this year therefore you get layoffs

clion is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by GUNMETALSCION View Post
    being busy for a couple of days in the middle of most schools spring break is not going to pad their bank account enough to carry them the rest of the year if you looked at attendance on a line graph I'd bet you would have more valleys than peeks this year therefore you get layoffs
    Very good point. Let's hope (for Disney's sake) that park attendance is headed back up.
    "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are.
    Anything your heart desires will come to you ..."

Author of the DisneyDaddy blog | Writer for Celebrations Magazine
    D23 Charter Member | Annual Passholder | Named Disney's Biggest Fan (by Disney and United Vacations)

WDWmemories is offline C-Ticket Holder

I agree with the earlier point: crowds do not necessarily mean high revenues. While there are plenty of people, they are not spending as much and Disney chose to deal with that via layoffs.
    Check out free high resolution Disney World Pictures and Disney Vacation information.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast