Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Deadly Monorail Crash in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by WDW4Ever I'm not trying to take away from the fact that someone died in this accident, but it was just that... an accident. Disney is not immune ...
    Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Re: Deadly Monorail Crash

Quote Originally Posted by WDW4Ever View Post
    I'm not trying to take away from the fact that someone died in this accident, but it was just that... an accident. Disney is not immune to accidents happening just because they're Disney. If you've ever seen the Modern Marvels show on WDW you'll know that on a standard operating day they run at 99.9% efficiency and on a bad day or week they run on 99.8%.

I agree, with Disney's safety record, this is a tragic accident, and only a tragic accident. While I suspect someone did not follow the rules, and somehow the safety guidelines were ignored, it is still an accident.

I feel bad for the guys family, and any affected guests and castmembers, but I am very concerned WHY the fed is sending the NTSB. Local trains and fairs harm more people then WDW, and the NTSB doesn't come there. I hope it is an easy to identify and fix issue BUT I would feel safe on a monorail right now.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

Nemoxoxo is offline C-Ticket Holder

trusting disney is an easy thing for me. theres going to be an accident every once in awhile, although it is very tragic. of course my prayers go to the family of the cast member killed.

trips:
    1995-june;polynesian 5 days
    '96-june;dixie landing 4 days
    '97-june;dixie landing 4 days
    '98-june;wilderness lodge 7 days
    '99-june;dixie landing 5 days
    '00-june;wilderness 8 days
    '01-june;wilderness 8 days-/christmas; polynesian 7 days
    '02-june; polynesian 6 days-/november; polynesian 4 days,
    '03-june;Yahct Club 9 days
    '04-june;Beach Club 9 days
    '05-june;Yacht Club 9 days
    '06-june;Yacht Club 9 days
    '07-june;off site 2 days
    '08-june;wilderness campground 9 days
    '09-june;wilderness campground 9days
    '10-january;off site 4 days--(for 5k Race)
    '11-Sept 8-13 w/ boyfriend

clion is offline Fastpass Holder

I really don't know why the NTSB is interested. This is unprecedented. Is Uncle Sam just trying to meddle in Disney or is there something else going on?
    "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are.
    Anything your heart desires will come to you ..."

Author of the DisneyDaddy blog | Writer for Celebrations Magazine
    D23 Charter Member | Annual Passholder | Named Disney's Biggest Fan (by Disney and United Vacations)

lizardlynn92 is offline D-Ticket Holder

Did anyone see the article about Disneyland and there monrail system? The headline was something like " Disneyland monorails run normally after crash". Now I know they checked their monorails for hazzards and such but come on, why wouldnt their monrails run normally? haha, they are all the way across the country. Just thought i'd share that funny moment with you.

Four Parks
    One World

There is just one moon
    and one Golden Sun
    And a smile means
    friendship to
    everyone

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by clion View Post
    I really don't know why the NTSB is interested. This is unprecedented. Is Uncle Sam just trying to meddle in Disney or is there something else going on?
    I think you are reading too much into it. The NTSB is generally responsible for investigating transportation related safety issues, very similar to OSHA on the job side of things. This CRASH is unprecedented.

Admittedly NTSB does not worry too much about private transportation systems on private land, but the monorail is pretty unique in its ridership numbers, so it may fall under the public purview of the NTSB. No one at Disney seems to be questioning their involvement that I've seen, only some media and people posting on forums.

Quote Originally Posted by lizardlynn92 View Post
    Did anyone see the article about Disneyland and there monrail system? The headline was something like " Disneyland monorails run normally after crash". Now I know they checked their monorails for hazzards and such but come on, why wouldnt their monrails run normally? haha, they are all the way across the country. Just thought i'd share that funny moment with you.
    Because the systems are related, it is often the case that a related system would be shut down especially if there is suspicion of functional or safety failure to inspect the related systems and be certain that procedures are up to date and being followed. Of course, the DL system operates differently anyways.

I'd be interested in knowing if they also suspended guests in the cockpit.

I do agree, the headline does get a curious smile though...
    Last edited by doconeill; 07-07-2009 at 11:18 PM.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

BusDriver is offline Fastpass Holder

There is some awesome video on the Orlando Sentinel website, taken by a family a week before the tragedy. It shows them, Grandparents and their grandson, in the Cabin with Austin. The video shows Austin really loved his job and was a great CM!

The Grandmother sent the video to the Sentinel along with a great e-mail.

CAUTION: This will likely make you cry as I did!

Disney World monorail crash: Family from cherishes memories of their recent monorail ride with pilot Austin Wuennenberg - OrlandoSentinel.com
    My Dream Job - WDW Bus Driver

1975 - First Visit; 1985 High School Band Trip; 1986 Grad Night; 1992 First Visit with two oldest daughters; 1997 First Visit with Son; 1998 Joined DVC; 2003 First Visit with Twins

Many visits staying at Old Key West, Grand Floridian, Boardwalk, Contemporary, Disney Institute & All Star Sports

AHHHH, that was really sweet and it did make me cry. What al ovely young guy. Thanks for the link.

Well, with WDW and Disney Corp in general, there does tend to be a lack of information and ALL incidents go away rather quickly. I suspect the NTSB is interested in knowing exactly what happened so that it can be taught, presented and prevented. I agree though, it IS unprecedented for NTSB to be involved, also the OSHA involvement is unusual.

Maybe the truth will be known and safety can be back to normal standards.

clion is offline Fastpass Holder

NTSB official preliminary report:
    Press Advisory
    "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are.
    Anything your heart desires will come to you ..."

Author of the DisneyDaddy blog | Writer for Celebrations Magazine
    D23 Charter Member | Annual Passholder | Named Disney's Biggest Fan (by Disney and United Vacations)

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

NTSB official preliminary report:
    Press Advisory

Thank you for posting this! I am glad they didn't wait weeks to give us an idea of what went wrong...looks like it was human error on the part of the person who was operating the track switch...so sad
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by DopeyDancer87 View Post
    ...looks like it was human error on the part of the person who was operating the track switch...so sad
    Well, we don't know really who was at fault yet, other than it was a human error. Did the shop worker say they threw the switch and not do it? Did the controller not verify that the switch was thrown before clearing the driver?

Three people have been suspended - a driver (the Pink driver, but that may be for emotional reasons), a shop worker, and a transportation manager. But the investigation is ongoing.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

dag0620 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Connecticut - Far from Disney - Close to Magic Meets

Well one thing for sure is the big speculation I herd about happens to be so far true. It didnt blaime who was at fault, but never the less, everything I herd and belived is true.
    -Dave

Summer 04' Beach Club and SOG - Summer 05' SOG and Port Orleans: French Quarter - Summer 06' Boardwalk -
    Summer 09' SOG

DisneyLand Vacations
    Summer 08' Off Property

dag0620 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Connecticut - Far from Disney - Close to Magic Meets

Im Iffy on thos one. On the one hand, I have to agree with Doc on this, on the other, Ive seen accidents where you think the NTSB would get involved and they haven't. This could go either way.

All we can do is wait and see.
    -Dave

Summer 04' Beach Club and SOG - Summer 05' SOG and Port Orleans: French Quarter - Summer 06' Boardwalk -
    Summer 09' SOG

DisneyLand Vacations
    Summer 08' Off Property

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456