Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Central Fastpass Station being tested at AK in the News & Rumors forums; Super excited to hear about this!!! I've been saying for years that they needed to try something like this! I sure hope they are testing still when we get down ...

Re: Central Fastpass Station being tested at AK

Super excited to hear about this!!! I've been saying for years that they needed to try something like this! I sure hope they are testing still when we get down there next month!

When and if this becomes a reality at all parks, they need to have more than one location within the parks where they have a central bank located as well as keeping the original machines outside of the attraction.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Hallelujah! Hope it works out. It is such a pain especially at AK and I have older kids that now can walk faster than me!

I did hold my breathe as the article mentioned, could this be a test for something bigger??? Six Flags is $$ for fast passes and WDW is in $$ mode lately. Begging that it is just a guest service improvement.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

ERich2010 is offline just cant get enough

i think this could work out well, especially at Animal Kingdom, since it's such a large park. They just need to improve the system a tad
    Eric

Yo Ho Yo Ho a Pirates Life for Me...

Bangarang Rufio

WVParkfan is offline B-Ticket Holder

The more I think about this, the LESS I like it.

What's next, FastPass stations at the Ticket and Transportation Center? How about at a kiosk at your resort? Perhaps you will be able to get an "app" to order one from your iphone.
    April, 1998 Coronado Springs
    April, 2001 Coronado Springs
    January, 2004 All-Star Sports
    July, 2005 Caribbean Beach Resort
    April, 2006 Pop Century
    December, 2006 All-Star Sports
    March, 2008 All-Star Movies
    April, 2009 All-Star Music
    August, 2010 Disney's Swan Resort

kat228 is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by tizzo View Post
    Just saw this on the Theme Park Rangers blog at the Orlando Sentinel's web site:

Disney's test of centralized FastPass distribution at Animal Kingdom

Apparently they're trying out a way to partially centralize FP distribution by setting up a location not at any particular attraction, with a few FP machines for each of a few attractions. So you can get a FP for an attraction without having to go all the way over to where that attraction is located.

The article includes a photo and a brief description of how they're doing it. Worth a read.

Seems to me that AK is the perfect place to try this, since it's so spread out.

Tony
    Thanks for posting this! I'm heading down for a short trip on Saturday for 3 days. I had heard rumors but didn't know exactly what was going on. This helps a lot. On such a short trip I didn't want to be standing around trying to figure out what was going on! Time is precious!

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    No, it doesn't work that way. All the same Fastpass rules still apply. You still can only get one at a time, and have to wait until the Next Fastpass time is reached. And it appears that these kiosks are not being used right at rope drop, but rather are delayed until after the initial rush of guests to the attractions.

All it is currently providing is another location you can get Fastpasses for certain attractions that is more centrally located so you don't have to cross the park back and forth.
    Thanks for clearing up the bit about rope drop. I think that makes sense. Otherwise I'm afraid you'd have a huge back-up first thing in the morning!

I'll report back on Tuesday how things went

Follow me on Twitter! --Live when I'm at the parks!
    Hey look! I started a blog! Disney updates 11/16!
    Drink Around the World in Epcot
    Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic.
    ~Sam Eagle

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by WVParkfan View Post
    The more I think about this, the LESS I like it.

What's next, FastPass stations at the Ticket and Transportation Center? How about at a kiosk at your resort? Perhaps you will be able to get an "app" to order one from your iphone.
    Disney already has patents on those ideas...
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

MagicMom is offline C-Ticket Holder

I really don't like this idea at all. It is going to be a mad house if there is only 1 machine per attraction. I remember the lines at the bank of machines at TSMM in DHS back in November. The lines were 20 people deep just after the rope drop, and they have about 10 machines back there.

A touch screen system would be good for this, since they are going to centralize some units. Each machine could dispense FPs for all attractions. A digital board above could display current return times for each attraction. Too much money, I guess. When your profits are down 26% I doubt spending money is at the top of the list.

I hope they don't make unlimited FP a ticket option like they did with the No Expiration. I really don't know if I would pay.
    Last edited by MagicMom; 08-06-2009 at 01:05 PM.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMom View Post
    I really don't like this idea at all. It is going to be a mad house if there is only 1 machine per attraction. I remember the lines at the bank of machines at TSMM in DHS back in November. The lines were 20 people deep just after the rope drop, and they have about 10 machines back there.

A touch screen system would be good for this, since they are going to centralize some units. Each machine could dispense FPs for all attractions. A digital board above could display current return times for each attraction. Too much money, I guess. When your profits are down 26% I doubt spending money is at the top of the list.

I hope they don't make unlimited FP a ticket option like they did with the No Expiration. I really don't know if I would pay.
    So far, as part of the test:

- There are two machines each for three attractions

- They are not available right at rope drop, so people still have to go to the attraction initially

- All indications are that this would not result in the removal of the machines at the attractions anyways

- This is only a test. A permanent system should include a number of improvements
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

WDWmemories is offline C-Ticket Holder

I am sure there will be kinks to work out, but this generally seems like a very good idea to me.
    I always wondered why you had to walk up to an attraction in order to get a FastPass for it. Why not be able to get a FastPass somewhere else, and then use some of your FastPass 'wait' time while traveling to the attraction itself.
    Actually, I think it would be a great idea to have a set of FastPass machines for all FastPass attractions at EACH FastPass location. That way, you exit off a FastPass attraction and then you pick up your FastPass for your next ride. You use some of your walk time getting to the next ride and already have your FastPass.
    Check out free high resolution Disney World Pictures and Disney Vacation information.

bety is offline Disney World Beast

I think this sounds like a great idea. I still don't mind hustling to my favorite ride to get a fastpass as soon as the park opens, but I would definitely use the central fastpass stations for the rest of the day. And as long as they keep the ones at the rides as well, I don't think it would cause too much of a crowding problem.
    July 1994- off site
    February 1999- Port Orleans Riverside
    March 2000- Caribbean Beach
    January 2004- off site
    February 2006- Pop Century
    April 2006- off site
    January 2007- Pop Century
    December 2007- Coronado Springs
    December 2008- Pop Century
    December 2009- Coronado Springs/All Star Sports
    Next trip: December 2010- All Star Music

Zipadeedooda is offline Fastpass Holder

Personally I think this is a really

bad idea
    Noah

Where Magic Lives

"its a glorious three hour finale I call A Tribute to all Nations but Mostly AMERICA!"

"Now approaching Tomorrowland's Space Mountain"

MagicMom is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by WDWmemories View Post
    Actually, I think it would be a great idea to have a set of FastPass machines for all FastPass attractions at EACH FastPass location. That way, you exit off a FastPass attraction and then you pick up your FastPass for your next ride. You use some of your walk time getting to the next ride and already have your FastPass.
    I think THAT is a really fantastic idea!
    Last edited by MagicMom; 08-16-2009 at 12:46 PM.

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle

Quote Originally Posted by Disnyfan83 View Post
    I think there are going to be a lot of extremely confused guest and some very frustrated Cast members!!
    My thoughts exactly. I still don't see why can't they just remove the pain that is FP all together and save everyone's sanity?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12