Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Central Fastpass Station being tested at AK in the News & Rumors forums; Just saw this on the Theme Park Rangers blog at the Orlando Sentinel's web site: Disney's test of centralized FastPass distribution at Animal Kingdom Apparently they're trying out a way ...
    tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder

Central Fastpass Station being tested at AK

Just saw this on the Theme Park Rangers blog at the Orlando Sentinel's web site:

Disney's test of centralized FastPass distribution at Animal Kingdom

Apparently they're trying out a way to partially centralize FP distribution by setting up a location not at any particular attraction, with a few FP machines for each of a few attractions. So you can get a FP for an attraction without having to go all the way over to where that attraction is located.

The article includes a photo and a brief description of how they're doing it. Worth a read.

Seems to me that AK is the perfect place to try this, since it's so spread out.

Tony
    Last edited by tizzo; 07-24-2009 at 02:33 PM.

WVParkfan is offline B-Ticket Holder

Re: Central Fastpass Station being tested at AK

Boy, I don't like this at all. I can foresee standing in incredibly long lines. One of the advantages of the current system is that it spreads people out. If you want a FP for Big Thunder Mountain, then you physically have to walk over to TTMRR. If you want a FP for Space Mountain, then you have to go to that side of the park. It spreads things out. If there was one central station to get all of your FP's, it would be a nightmare!

I was thinking the same thing. From the way they set the test up, it didn't sound like it was going to be quite that bad. Possibly they'll add a couple of strategic locations into which they'll place machines for a couple of strategically chosen attractions.

Still, it seems to me that at least part of how FP benefits the park is like you said, by spreading people out. People who are walking from one end of the park to the other are (1) not waiting on line for something and (2) are being given more opportunities to stop in and buy stuff.

Beyond that, the author had a pretty good point about how, given the level of confusion that already surrounds FP, it would be even more confusing if you're in a kiosk with several machines each giving out FPs for different attractions.

Disnyfan83 is offline Fastpass Holder

I think there are going to be a lot of extremely confused guest and some very frustrated Cast members!!
    Leslie Henson
    leslieH@mei-travel.com
    affiliated w/ MEI & Mouse Fan Travel

Old Magic Kingdom Tour Guides never retire -- we still tell people where to go and what to do!

WVParkfan is offline B-Ticket Holder

I've seen many people ask the question before: "Would you be willing to pay extra for Fast Passes?"

Would I? Probably. Should they offer that? Absolutely NOT!

To be clear, I saw nothing here about imposing a fee for FPs, or limiting them to resort guests, or making them available from outside the parks, or any of the other disturbing things that have been discussed in the blogosphere (or implemented at other parks like Universal) before.

From what I can tell, this looks like nothing more than an effort to save guests a trip across the park to get their FP.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Scuttlebutt I've heard is this does NOT replace the kiosks at each location, but simply offers a centralized location.

At least for now.

I still haven't heard any first-hand accounts of this, or how they are actually handling it. If they are using the existing kiosks at ITTBAB, they'd probably have to dedicate one kiosk per FP attraction (since there is no way to provide selection). Imagine the line for EE and Safari blocking the way to get to EE...
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

eyeinthesky is offline C-Ticket Holder

Good point, can you imagine the lines!! But let's see the testing reveals...
    Creator, The Best of Walt Disney World
    www.bestwdw.com

britney05 is offline C-Ticket Holder

the lines at each attraction itself can be long enough, i can only imagine how long they'd be for multiple attractions...especially being near the front of the park too. :S

edwardsfire is offline C-Ticket Holder

i actually like this idea....
    it will be nice to get a fastpass for a ride that doesnt require one to actually have to walk to the ride. (i also understand that the kiosks WILL remain at the ride also).

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!

We'll check this out tomorrow and see how it goes.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

newdrama12 is offline D-Ticket Holder

The test looks to be fairly successful. There is one machine that is dedicated to each ride that offers the fast pass. You will see a little sign on top of the machine that has what attraction it is for. The only problem is that there is no was to know what the fast pass times are without actually getting one. Which could be a problem for some people.
    You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it requires people to make the dream a reality" - Walt Disney

marker is offline C-Ticket Holder

Not really sure I like this idea, but I'll be interested in hearing how it plays out. For me, the decision to get a fast pass is quite often based on the length of the standby time. If they were to remove the fast pass machines that are near the attraction, you would not be able to make that comparison. And, while it would seem convenient to have one central location near the front of the park, I can see that becoming a serious bottleneck with everyone flocking there when they first enter making it almost unusable first thing in the morning. Also, if I think of the times when I've grabbed a fast pass and then gotten in line for standby so I could use the fast pass for a second ride, I think this set up would alter that plan.

I think the effect will be quite a bit different depending on if the plan is to close the other kiosks, or to operate both locations.

It will be really interesting to see what happens. And that's why they call it a test, so they can see how it effects traffic and what guests think.
    Marker from MO
    ~ Unemployeed software developer looking for next opportunity
    ~ For more info see my home page
    ~ Friend of IASW's Happy Little Dolls (but don't hold that against me)

02/83 off site -- 11/83 off site -- 12/85 DLR --
    07/97 DL -- 08/00 ASMo -- 04/02 CBR --
    05/03 POFQ -- 06/04 DLR -- 07/06 Pop --
    03/07 POR -- 09/07 ASMu -- 04/08 ASSp --
    09/08 Pop -- 09/09 CSR -- 04/10 POR --
    05/10 SSR -- 10/10 CSR
    Next - 12/10 -2 nights SSR, 2 nights VBR (Vero Beach Resort)

Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder

I don't really like the sound of this..... it sounds like you go into the park, everyone rushes for the fp station and waits in line, goes and gets their fps for each ride and all the fastpasses are out for the people coming later in the day. I think it's better than people can get fastpasses one at a time, spaced out.
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by Disney2000 View Post
    I don't really like the sound of this..... it sounds like you go into the park, everyone rushes for the fp station and waits in line, goes and gets their fps for each ride and all the fastpasses are out for the people coming later in the day. I think it's better than people can get fastpasses one at a time, spaced out.
    No, it doesn't work that way. All the same Fastpass rules still apply. You still can only get one at a time, and have to wait until the Next Fastpass time is reached. And it appears that these kiosks are not being used right at rope drop, but rather are delayed until after the initial rush of guests to the attractions.

All it is currently providing is another location you can get Fastpasses for certain attractions that is more centrally located so you don't have to cross the park back and forth.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast