Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Marvel is Purchased by Disney in the News & Rumors forums; i bet all the marvel comic buffs are geeking out now (pun was definitely intended)...
    ERich2010 is offline just cant get enough

Re: Marvel is Purchased by Disney

i bet all the marvel comic buffs are geeking out now (pun was definitely intended)
    Eric

Yo Ho Yo Ho a Pirates Life for Me...

Bangarang Rufio

cholleman is offline A-Ticket holder

We need to give Disney some credit. Spider-man is not going to show up in Toon Town and the Incredible Hulk will never see the light of day at Cinderella's castle. Disney will handle the customer experience like they always do - knock it out of the park grand slam. Whatever they do - IT WILL BE AWESOME. Marvel has an incredible portfolio to work with. Who better to manage it than Disney?

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle

Quote Originally Posted by cholleman View Post
    Who better to manage it than Disney?
    I thought Universal did an outstanding job with Marvel, because it fits in well with Universal. As far as Disney is concerned, it could fit in the World of Disney, but knowing Disney, they would try to make the most out of this, have Marvel appeal to a much wider crowd and thus have a tamed down Marvel Super Hero cast of characters and adventures. And then there's the milking a franchise completely dry to the bone, and then some, to the point where we would be just sick and tired of seeing Spiderman and Hulk's image everywhere, on every little tacky souvenir, every other new parade float with their likenesses, their own animated show geared towards teaching little ones their ABC's. Ok, I may be overexaggerating, but who hasn't had those thoughts cross their minds when they first heard this news?

ERich2010 is offline just cant get enough

Quote Originally Posted by albino_pygmy View Post
    I thought Universal did an outstanding job with Marvel, because it fits in well with Universal. As far as Disney is concerned, it could fit in the World of Disney, but knowing Disney, they would try to make the most out of this, have Marvel appeal to a much wider crowd and thus have a tamed down Marvel Super Hero cast of characters and adventures. And then there's the milking a franchise completely dry to the bone, and then some, to the point where we would be just sick and tired of seeing Spiderman and Hulk's image everywhere, on every little tacky souvenir, every other new parade float with their likenesses, their own animated show geared towards teaching little ones their ABC's. Ok, I may be overexaggerating, but who hasn't had those thoughts cross their minds when they first heard this news?
    Universal wasn't too great with the franchise either though. I thought the marvel section in Universal Studios was a little too cartoony and childish, plus the "storyline" of the rides was a joke, which I think Disney could do much better with.
    Also, with the merchandise, do you remember that dreadful Itsy Bitsy Rockin Singin Spiderboy Toy Thingy (I dont really remember the name)? Worst toy in history. i think Disney would be smarter than to pull one of those again. And I doubt you would see the marvel characters any more than you see the Muppets or the Star Wars characters. They would do some special events but never mix them with the core characters
    Eric

Yo Ho Yo Ho a Pirates Life for Me...

Bangarang Rufio

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle

Quote Originally Posted by ERich2010 View Post
    Universal wasn't too great with the franchise either though. I thought the marvel section in Universal Studios was a little too cartoony and childish, plus the "storyline" of the rides was a joke, which I think Disney could do much better with.
    Also, with the merchandise, do you remember that dreadful Itsy Bitsy Rockin Singin Spiderboy Toy Thingy (I dont really remember the name)? Worst toy in history. i think Disney would be smarter than to pull one of those again. And I doubt you would see the marvel characters any more than you see the Muppets or the Star Wars characters. They would do some special events but never mix them with the core characters
    You didn't like Spiderman?

If Disney were to have an attraction like Spiderman, they would eventually tame it down after several complaints from overprotective parents saying it was "too scary for a kids ride" even though there may be a warning out front. Anyone remember Alien Encounter, and look what replaced it? Same thing with Countdown to Extinction, they tamed it down and tied it into a horrible movie. It's still a decent ride, but just not as great as it used to be. I don't want to see Disney do the same to the Marvel characters. I don't remember the Itsy Bitsy Rockin' Spiderman toy, but to be honest with you, it sounds like something Disney would have come up with anyways to try to sell for the younger ones.

MJMcb is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by cholleman View Post
    Disney will handle the customer experience like they always do - knock it out of the park grand slam.
    I guess you never saw the Stitch stage show
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

Bubba88 is offline B-Ticket Holder

I can't see Disney bringing Marvel characters to the fore front of there own charaters, if they bring them to the parks at all? Universal has got milions in the Marvel part of IOA and they would have to spend mad money just to come up with another idea for that part of the park. Yes Disney brought in The Muppets and Star Wars, but there was no other park that had either one of these franchises already. I'm pretty sure that Sony has movie rights to Spiderman and Fox has X men, but I would think that Disney is making this purchase so they can air all those Marvel cartoons on there TV networks.
    But look at the Muppets, it used to be Jim Henson's Muppets and now it's just the Muppets? Anything can happen?

04CP_ Nolan is offline Dole Float + POTC= Good Day

oh i've been hearing a LOT of what the Marvel hardliners think.... they are TICKED that this happened. they are mad at Marvel, but they seem to be more angry with Disney for buying it. i've heard several saying that this means Marvel doesn't care about their fans anymore, stupid i know. i find it funny though that "Mr. Marvel" Stan "the man" Lee is thrilled with Disney buying Marvel. they're afraid Disney will take over creative control of the Marvel movies and "Disney" up the animated straight-to-DVD movies they make. (which i'm a big fan of)

MJMcb is offline Fastpass Holder

I love Marvel and Disney so I'm good with this myself
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12