Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Fantasyland Is Expanding in the News & Rumors forums; I'm going to miss Toontown actually. I always thought that Toontown could've used a little sprucing up....
    WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Fantasyland Is Expanding

I'm going to miss Toontown actually. I always thought that Toontown could've used a little sprucing up.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

Winnie is offline Fastpass Holder

I wonder what this looks like on top of the current layout?

This should be really nice when it is finished but it is going to break a lot of kids and adults hearts as their favorite fantasyland attractions are closed for refurbishments. I can't tell, are they losing Snow White, Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, and Phillharmagic? Or does this change from Dumbo back to the Tea Cups and Toontown only? I wonder if they will move Mickey and Minnies Houses to somewhere else like DHS...oh the mind is a whirling!
    BETH ~ I BELIEVE in Make Believe,Dreams & Wishes
    Is It time To Go Back Yet??
    Happy DVC Member - Beach Club Villas
    BCV - October 2011 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival (Met up with Lou and the Walk-about Crew! Met Deanna!
    Met the Petermans!)
    BCV - October 2010 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival and MNNSHP!!!
    BCV - June 2009 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2008 - MNNSHP-Just the two of us!
    BCV - May 2008 - Flower & Garden/Epcot - Just the two of us!
    BCV - January 2008 - Marathon Weekend - Just the two of us! (We finally got to meet Lou & his wonderful family)
    BCV - May 2007 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2006 Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    ASM & BCV - June 2006 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2005 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    OKW & BWV - March 2005 - Quick and needed fun trip! Just the two of us!
    BCV - June 2004 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2003 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    BC - Honeymoon- April 2002
    Off Site - 1997 - I was a poor college student staying with my favorite aunt!

wdwtristan is offline Annual Passholder

Hooray new Fantasyland!!

I always liked Disneyland's Toontown better, too
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

jbgoldengun is offline A-Ticket holder

I'm really sad that this is happening.... I've had so many good memories in Fantasyland and Toontown. I can even remember back when i was about 4 or 5 years old getting my picture taken with Mickey in front of a then-unused skyway pole. My dad will be crushed to hear them "getting rid of" the old Dumbo, because that's one of the few memories he had of his dad that died when he was 11. I will miss it terribly.... might have to undo this if i become an imagineer.....
    Who would like Disney just as much as a cute girl? ME! Crazy, ain't i? Well, who cares. If you marry a cute girl and go to work at Disney World when you grow up, then everything is perfect for me.
    Future Disney Imagineer Architectural Designer! Boo Yah!
    Gonna Work There 'Til The Day I Join Haunted Mansion Ghosts and Make It 100 Happy Haunts

favortie parks in order
    1. 2. tie for 3. and
    It's the WEDWay Peoplemover...... I Don't Care What You Say..... It Has Been And Always Will Be....

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by wdwtristan View Post
    Im scared that these plans will end up like AK's Phase 3. I am really hoping that Im wrong though.

That was also my first thought! So much was promised with AK, let's hope they don't drop the ball on this one!
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

I'd venture to guess that Disney will do just fine with all these things they're announcing
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

bigyanks is offline C-Ticket Holder

Maybe I should postpone my wedding for 2012
    1989 - 1998 - Off Property
    August 2006 - Off Property
    May 2008 - Saratoga Springs
    Dec. 2008 - All Star Movies - Engaged
    Dec. 2009 - Port Orleans Riverside
    Dec. 2010 - Bay Lake Tower (new dvc members)
    August 2011 - Beach Club Villas
    Disney Dream Cruise
    September 2011 - Animal Kingdom Villas

Disney's Folly is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    I wonder what this looks like on top of the current layout?

This should be really nice when it is finished but it is going to break a lot of kids and adults hearts as their favorite fantasyland attractions are closed for refurbishments. I can't tell, are they losing Snow White, Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, and Phillharmagic? Or does this change from Dumbo back to the Tea Cups and Toontown only? I wonder if they will move Mickey and Minnies Houses to somewhere else like DHS...oh the mind is a whirling!
    I don't think Disney could ever close down so much of Fantasyland during the expansion. It would be terrible for business.

That said, the expansion shouldn't affect pre-existing rides other than Toontown, Dumbo, etc. (based on the blueprints and drawings). Most of the expansion appears to be happening over the old 20,000 Leagues area which is pretty large, plus areas behind it that were previously not used or part of Backstage. Rides to the west of the castle and carousel look totally unaffected. The Castle Wall and other theming look like they could affect Snow White's Scary Adventures and Many Adventures of Pooh. Though Disney could always find a way to filter guests into those attractions while such work was being done. Not sure if there's a precedent for this from other expansions or refurbs. Seems like they could theoretically do all the work north of the tea cups/SW/Pooh/castle, walled off until the 11th hour, and then close those areas for a minimal amount of time to work on walkways or any exterior re-theming those areas might need. It's all conjecture right now but since they're going to have to close Toontown, I can't see how they could also close a large volume of Fantasyland without risking a severe dip in attendance (plus volume issues elsewhere) for a long time.

jbgoldengun is offline A-Ticket holder

After looking at the plans closely,I don't understand why Disney would go to all the trouble and expense of moving Dumbo so far just to put up some decorative walls that don't look thick enough to even hold a shop. Seems impractical to me.
    Who would like Disney just as much as a cute girl? ME! Crazy, ain't i? Well, who cares. If you marry a cute girl and go to work at Disney World when you grow up, then everything is perfect for me.
    Future Disney Imagineer Architectural Designer! Boo Yah!
    Gonna Work There 'Til The Day I Join Haunted Mansion Ghosts and Make It 100 Happy Haunts

favortie parks in order
    1. 2. tie for 3. and
    It's the WEDWay Peoplemover...... I Don't Care What You Say..... It Has Been And Always Will Be....

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

I'm not really excited by the Dumbo attraction. It's cool looking but I never really thought of Dumbo as needing a huge refurb. Princesses I understand.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

disneyfun55 is offline C-Ticket Holder

I must respectfully disagree that Dumbo doesn't need a refurb. That is the single most popular ride in FantasyLand with Peter Pan coming in a very close second. I think the second spool and the interactive que area are going to be great.

However, I worry that the placement in the back of the park will lessen the attraction of the kids. I think that one of the reasons it is SO popular is that it is right there for all the kids to see in the center of Fantasyland. Having the Fantasyland train stop close by will help, but I can't see it replacing the high visibility it had where it is currently.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfun55 View Post
    I must respectfully disagree that Dumbo doesn't need a refurb. That is the single most popular ride in FantasyLand with Peter Pan coming in a very close second. I think the second spool and the interactive que area are going to be great.

However, I worry that the placement in the back of the park will lessen the attraction of the kids. I think that one of the reasons it is SO popular is that it is right there for all the kids to see in the center of Fantasyland. Having the Fantasyland train stop close by will help, but I can't see it replacing the high visibility it had where it is currently.
    I don't argue it's popularity. It's the first ride we are riding next week with my two year old. I just think that there is a lot of work going into Dumbo with this Fantasyland Expansion/refurb. My family and I are incredibly excited about the expanded princess areas but I think there needs to be other attractions. I'd love a Pinocchio or an Alice in Wonderland attraction. How about a new Mr. Toad. Like I said, I'm excited. I just want MORE!!!
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by jbgoldengun View Post
    After looking at the plans closely,I don't understand why Disney would go to all the trouble and expense of moving Dumbo so far just to put up some decorative walls that don't look thick enough to even hold a shop. Seems impractical to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    I'm not really excited by the Dumbo attraction. It's cool looking but I never really thought of Dumbo as needing a huge refurb. Princesses I understand.
    Dumbo has had a major rehab (for that style of attraction) in my kids lifetime. I don't remember if they totally replaced Dumbo or re-worked it but it had many more little Dumbo's when Disney was done.

Adding 2 Dumbo's, as I understand will help that line move. It is difficult with toddlers/preschoolers to stand that long for a very short ride.
    By the sketches it looks like they are moving Dumbo because it would interfere with the master plan. Dumbo is just kinda plopped out in the middle of prime real estate.

Tim
    Tim is offline D-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Dumbo has had a major rehab (for that style of attraction) in my kids lifetime. I don't remember if they totally replaced Dumbo or re-worked it but it had many more little Dumbo's when Disney was done.

Adding 2 Dumbo's, as I understand will help that line move. It is difficult with toddlers/preschoolers to stand that long for a very short ride.
    By the sketches it looks like they are moving Dumbo because it would interfere with the master plan. Dumbo is just kinda plopped out in the middle of prime real estate.
    Dumbo was revamped but if I remember correctly, the queue was improved to allow for faster access and some additional elephants were added for capacity. That was it. Now it appears they will basically replace it altogether with a new and hopefully improved version. It's been my experience throughout the years that Fantasyland has a "Funnel effect" on foot traffic basically forcing everyone through narrow walkways until it widens up as you approach the Teacups. Add in the placement of Dumbo and the Carousel and it makes for huge clusters of people plugging up the walkways. I hope they will address this.
    Tim

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast