Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Holy mother of awesome, its confirmed! in the News & Rumors forums; I'm glad its getting updated,it wont beat the new Harry Potter land at IOA though....
    RuddyWDW is offline Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery

Re: Holy mother of awesome, its confirmed!

I'm glad its getting updated,it wont beat the new Harry Potter land at IOA though.

Ruddy

garryz is offline B-Ticket Holder

Don't be to sure on that. At first, yes hp will be a draw. Also consider universal has ways of screwing up projects. In the long run, Disney has one thing universal does not have and that is real estate.
    dvcnut. As Walt said "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them".DISNEY.....LIVE THE DREAM!!!!!

Disney's Folly is offline C-Ticket Holder

I think that's comparing apples and peanuts. I don't get the competition with Harry Potter/Universal. Universal isn't going to poach Disney fans in the long run. I'm a huge Potter fan and would probably like to check Universal out once its open. But Universal doesn't have the same long term appeal to me, especially now that its classic rides are almost all closed. There just isn't a lot of draw there. So even if people go there for Potter, they're all going to go back to Disney again and again.

Why should Disney bend over backwards to win small battles when it's won the war day in and day out?

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

I think Garryz is right. Disney does have the real estate to expand. But I disagree with you Disney's Folly. I think that as Universal picks up more attractions like HP and the admission prices keep going up at WDW I think yo'll see a few jump ship. We are talking about doing a Universal only trip next year. We can stay with family in Orlando, hit Universal for a week AND get their meal plan for all five of us for less then one total day at Disney.

Disney is still my favorite but sometimes you have to vote your wallet.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Disney's Folly is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    I think Garryz is right. Disney does have the real estate to expand. But I disagree with you Disney's Folly. I think that as Universal picks up more attractions like HP and the admission prices keep going up at WDW I think yo'll see a few jump ship. We are talking about doing a Universal only trip next year. We can stay with family in Orlando, hit Universal for a week AND get their meal plan for all five of us for less then one total day at Disney.

Disney is still my favorite but sometimes you have to vote your wallet.
    I understand the financial issues but Universal is going to eventually have to increase theirs if they want to pick up more franchises like Harry Potter. Ultimately your scenario does make sense when you look at it from that angle, but I think a lot of people still view it as a lesser experience. In the long run, Disney is still going to do better.

Oh and what else have they really picked up in the last 10 years that comes close to Harry Potter? It's not like this is part of some increasing trend for them. They struck it with Potter (and are banking a lot on it) but haven't done much else over the years that has struck gold. Shrek, The Mummy, Twister and Men in Black aren't exactly franchises showing the type of iconic potential that can sustain that park over decades like Disney has had with its icons, not to mention is having with newer ones like Pixar characters.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

I've traveled to the World loyally for 25 years and less frequently to DL and DW since I was 18 months old and I totally agree with Ohiodisneydad While on a school board convention 5 years ago we stayed on property at Universal. My family hit the parks as I attended the convention by day at parks by night. I was very impressed. What initially hit me was their young children's area. The imagineering of these attractions was head over heels better than Fantsyland which has not kept up with imagineering times. I nostalgically love Fantsyland however lets face it many are not 21st century imagineering that Universal has created.
    Thinking Disney has finally realized this. I was never impressed with the 21st Century Pooh attraction that Disney is capable of, look at Splash Mountain they can do it.

As Disney continues to close pavilions like Wonders of Life it puts more stress on the few great attractions like, Test Track and Soar'n. I can't endure MS, Nemo while great for the little ones, was fine once, Imagination ruined, it does leave some extra time now to visit the very economically friendly Universal. Sea World has also tossed their hat now into the ring as a to hit venue. I have learned to like AK however there still is not enough to hold my family more than 4-5 hours making park hopper passes necessary. While I enjoyed Fantasmic that too you must donate wasted time securing a place to sit. Disney has the ability to fix the seating for Fantasmic yet has chosen not to do that. They cut performances making it more difficult. The Movie Ride and Indian Jones have needed a revamp for a while.

Disney has gone substantially over the CPI in raising their room and admission rates. Food and water costs have hit the ridiculous range. And why we pay exorbitant amount of money for buffet, cheap breakfast foods under a heat lamp.

Since we have about 4 years to wait for Fantasyland (if not delayed) I think you might see more of us at least splitting our time between Universal and Disney both for variety and some financial relief.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

I pulled our 1994, October family vacation to WDW package from Delta.
    14 days, then Port Orleans, length of stay passes, free character breakfast or sit down daily, Alamo car rental, airfare from Chicago, free rec package including mini golf, bike rental and paddle boat. One sit down dinner. Choice of free round of golf, admission to Sports Complex or family portrait, $2796 2 Adults, 1 child, 1 Junior. Back then we allowed between a $100-$125/day for food and snacks for the 4 of us.

Someday I'd like to see what this package would cost us in 2009. 15-20 years ago this is how we became hooked and went annually for extended stays. No way could we pull this off annually for 2 weeks.

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I pulled our 1994, October family vacation to WDW package from Delta.
    14 days, then Port Orleans, length of stay passes, free character breakfast or sit down daily, Alamo car rental, airfare from Chicago, free rec package including mini golf, bike rental and paddle boat. One sit down dinner. Choice of free round of golf, admission to Sports Complex or family portrait, $2796 2 Adults, 1 child, 1 Junior. Back then we allowed between a $100-$125/day for food and snacks for the 4 of us.

Someday I'd like to see what this package would cost us in 2009. 15-20 years ago this is how we became hooked and went annually for extended stays. No way could we pull this off annually for 2 weeks.

I was on the Disney site a few days ago and was "hypothetically" looking at vacation options and costs and 5 days at a moderate resort for 2 adults with a 4 day pass and a meal plan was $2,175 in the month of March. Just to give you a comparison!
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

Winnie is offline Fastpass Holder

Very Cool - Way to go Disney!
    BETH ~ I BELIEVE in Make Believe,Dreams & Wishes
    Is It time To Go Back Yet??
    Happy DVC Member - Beach Club Villas
    BCV - October 2011 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival (Met up with Lou and the Walk-about Crew! Met Deanna!
    Met the Petermans!)
    BCV - October 2010 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival and MNNSHP!!!
    BCV - June 2009 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2008 - MNNSHP-Just the two of us!
    BCV - May 2008 - Flower & Garden/Epcot - Just the two of us!
    BCV - January 2008 - Marathon Weekend - Just the two of us! (We finally got to meet Lou & his wonderful family)
    BCV - May 2007 – Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2006 – Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    ASM & BCV - June 2006 – Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2005 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    OKW & BWV - March 2005 - Quick and needed fun trip! Just the two of us!
    BCV - June 2004 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2003 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    BC - Honeymoon- April 2002
    Off Site - 1997 - I was a poor college student staying with my favorite aunt!

Quote Originally Posted by Disney's Folly View Post
    I understand the financial issues but Universal is going to eventually have to increase theirs if they want to pick up more franchises like Harry Potter. Ultimately your scenario does make sense when you look at it from that angle, but I think a lot of people still view it as a lesser experience. In the long run, Disney is still going to do better.

Oh and what else have they really picked up in the last 10 years that comes close to Harry Potter? It's not like this is part of some increasing trend for them. They struck it with Potter (and are banking a lot on it) but haven't done much else over the years that has struck gold. Shrek, The Mummy, Twister and Men in Black aren't exactly franchises showing the type of iconic potential that can sustain that park over decades like Disney has had with its icons, not to mention is having with newer ones like Pixar characters.
    I agree with you on the trends. But I think they can get years out of Harry Potter and so does Universal or they wouldn't be putting the kind of money into the attraction. I have never been to Universal. I have been to City Walk and it was interesting. We are going to do a Universal heavy trip in the next couple of years.

I think Disney is always going to remain on the top but I think this major rehab of FantasyLand shows that the powers to be realize they have to do something. Every other park in central FL is stepping up. Disney can't afford to rest on its laurels. I'm excited for this. Our trip next week is our last Disney for two years. These new plans gives us something to get more excited for!
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

My boys are super excited about this! Happy to see that the rumors were true! Although....the 9 year old would like them to leave the original Star Tours and just add the new one next to it!

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Can't wait to see the new show! Also glad my boys will get to experience both versions, old and new. I have a feeling this one will be a favorite....

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I've traveled to the World loyally for 25 years and less frequently to DL and DW since I was 18 months old and I totally agree with Ohiodisneydad While on a school board convention 5 years ago we stayed on property at Universal. My family hit the parks as I attended the convention by day at parks by night. I was very impressed. What initially hit me was their young children's area. The imagineering of these attractions was head over heels better than Fantsyland which has not kept up with imagineering times. I nostalgically love Fantsyland however lets face it many are not 21st century imagineering that Universal has created.
    Thinking Disney has finally realized this. I was never impressed with the 21st Century Pooh attraction that Disney is capable of, look at Splash Mountain they can do it.

As Disney continues to close pavilions like Wonders of Life it puts more stress on the few great attractions like, Test Track and Soar'n. I can't endure MS, Nemo while great for the little ones, was fine once, Imagination ruined, it does leave some extra time now to visit the very economically friendly Universal. Sea World has also tossed their hat now into the ring as a to hit venue. I have learned to like AK however there still is not enough to hold my family more than 4-5 hours making park hopper passes necessary. While I enjoyed Fantasmic that too you must donate wasted time securing a place to sit. Disney has the ability to fix the seating for Fantasmic yet has chosen not to do that. They cut performances making it more difficult. The Movie Ride and Indian Jones have needed a revamp for a while.

Disney has gone substantially over the CPI in raising their room and admission rates. Food and water costs have hit the ridiculous range. And why we pay exorbitant amount of money for buffet, cheap breakfast foods under a heat lamp.

Since we have about 4 years to wait for Fantasyland (if not delayed) I think you might see more of us at least splitting our time between Universal and Disney both for variety and some financial relief.
    Agreed Gabe. I'm hopeful that this is the beginning of Disney's looking at issues that need fixed. I'm excited for all of the changes in both mega parks in Orlando.

Hiddenmickeyboy is offline Fastpass Holder

I hope they could figure out a way to keep the old star tours video in it too! Like maybe 2 queue lines. One goes to the classic star tours and one goes to the new version.
    999,999 score on BLSRS! Galactic Hero!

I love working in the Theme Park Industry!

wannabimagineer is offline B-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post

I think Disney is always going to remain on the top but I think this major rehab of FantasyLand shows that the powers to be realize they have to do something. Every other park in central FL is stepping up. Disney can't afford to rest on its laurels. I'm excited for this. Our trip next week is our last Disney for two years. These new plans gives us something to get more excited for!

Agreed. The fact that Universal Studios is in Orlando and producing great attractions, whether HP or something else keeps Disney on it's toes. Which is great for the rest of us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast