Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss New Attraction - Innoventions East in the News & Rumors forums; We were participating in the "Don't Waste It" activity in Innoventions East today and was told by the CM at that activity that a new ride (she said ride) was ...
    mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!

New Attraction - Innoventions East

We were participating in the "Don't Waste It" activity in Innoventions East today and was told by the CM at that activity that a new ride (she said ride) was opening up in October behind the barricades that are currently up just behind that activity area. She didn't give it's name, but she said that it was going to be aimed at attracting kids to science and math. It's going to have a low capacity and recommended going there first when coming to Epcot since the line may be long when it first opened.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Re: New Attraction - Innoventions East

That would be "The Sum Of All Thrills", sponsored by Raytheon.

Here is a press release.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

bater8slater is offline Annual Passholder

Hmm. I just can't see something at Innoventions having a long line and having to ge there first. Sometimes StormChase would get long lines, but other than that, I just don't see it happenneing. But, it probably will still be a lot of fun. I'm looking foward to it

Red Helicopter is offline C-Ticket Holder

I can definitely see this attraction having huge lines once word gets out.

If I understand correctly, this will be a thrill ride... two people seated in harnesses (like roller coaster seats) at the end of a large robotic arm. Did I hear that the guests will be able to program the intensity of the ride, almost like Virtual Space Mountain at DisneyQuest? I think that's where the math comes in. Sounds awesome.

Not sure how many of the "arms" there will be... the concept art that I saw shows 4. You can see how this ride could have low capacity.

A thrill ride in Innoventions? Kinda genius. What else could drive traffic into this under-explored area of Epcot?

BTW, if you liked "Don't Waste It", you GOTTA check out the Piggy Bank Adventure. It's great!
    The Red Helicopter
    . . . Always hangin' out around Epcot!

smith913 is offline Fastpass Holder

Heading down soon! Any idea as to when in October this will open? I teach math, and really hope I don't miss it!
    Samantha

October 2005 - All Star Movies, October 2006 - Pop Century, October 2008 - Pop Century, October 2009 - Pop Century, October 2011 - Pop Century

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

I'd love to read a review post after it opens.

I'll keep checking on it as we stop by Epcot during F&W. No specific date was given other than October.

04CP_ Nolan is offline Dole Float + POTC= Good Day

That's basically the same ride as over at DisneyQuest; the Virtual Space Mountain. You create your own ride track from the options in the computer and then ride it. The Virtual Space Mountain offers(ed) a video of your ride to purchase I believe.

smith913 is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    I'd love to read a review post after it opens.
    I'll definitely report on this if it is open!

Thanks for keeping an eye out, mini-V!
    Samantha

October 2005 - All Star Movies, October 2006 - Pop Century, October 2008 - Pop Century, October 2009 - Pop Century, October 2011 - Pop Century

Reading rumors that this will open on Wednesday, Oct. 14.

I'm totally pumped about this ride, I think it's really going to draw crowds into Innoventions!
    The Red Helicopter

[QUOTE=Red Helicopter;840914]Reading rumors that this will open on Wednesday, Oct. 14.QUOTE]
    DH stopped by the exhibit today while having lunch at F&W. Oct. 14th was the opening date he was told. I'm hoping for some soft openings in the meantime.

MJMcb is offline Fastpass Holder

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

Ok guys, I stopped by Innoventions East today to check out the status...

First, I think this photo, taken Sunday AM over the construction walls, speaks for itself:

Cast member testing. Upside-down cast members, that is.

I spoke with a cast member who rode the ride earlier today. Found out:

Guests will design their experience via a Microsoft Surface table (check out this YouTube for more Surface info: YouTube - Microsoft Surface - The Possibilities )
    Guests will chose from several different experience types, including toboggan , roller coaster, F15 jet
    Experiences can be anywhere from slightly exciting to thrilling, including a possibility of 6 inversions (see photo above!)
    Raytheon is having a private party on Tuesday night, ride will be open to guests on Wednesday Oct 14th.
    The cast member confirmed, there are 4 robotic arms with 2 seats on each. He volunteered the (obvious?) information that the ride has a VERY low capacity per hour.

This ride looks AWESOME!!! I wish I had my video cam with me, you could see how fast some of these cast members were being tossed around in this thing! I can't wait.
    Last edited by Red Helicopter; 10-11-2009 at 06:58 PM.
    The Red Helicopter

One of the perks from being an Orlando local is being able to check out things early. We were able to ride Sum of All Thrills today. Three thumbs up! There is a height requirement, but the ride can be whatever you want it to be in the way of intensity. There's a short video to inform you of what you will need to do. After that, you go to the design desk and design your ride based on your ride vehicle; a bobsled, roller coaster or plane. You pick the speed and intensity. We did the bobsled first and then went back to do the roller coaster. Our first design was in the moderate range, but the second design was more intense, but not the most intense. After wards, DH said we should have added a corkscrew to the roller coaster. That earned him an incredulous glare since HE was the one that kept saying to slow down the speed.
    You have a limited amount of time to design your ride, but we found that we had about 40 seconds or more remaining before we were done. There are small lockers within a few feet of where you will board your ride vehicle. A key on a wrist band is given to you so it can be locked. The actual ride may only last about a minute. Only two people can ride in the same vehicle. I didn't happen to notice what 1 parent and two kids would do. Most of the people in line today were parents and teens or preteens.

Just a couple of observations:
    1. Make sure that cell phones or things attached to your waist are move to the side before the vehicle hood is brought down. The Cm's make it fairly snug and my cell phone got pushed into my hip bone before I could move it a bit further to my side.
    2. Larger built guests may not be able to fit in to the ride vehicle. The seats are rather on the small side.
    3. I did not see any way of someone who is limited by wheelchair access or the like have access to the ride. Maybe I just didn't notice anyone needing that assistance so it didn't catch my eye.

DH took a couple of pics, but only two turned out; one of the sign and one of an empty ride vehicle upside down. Neither were much better than what has already been posted.

(Jeanne said it is ADA accessible, so ignore that comment.)
    Last edited by mini-V; 10-14-2009 at 07:58 PM. Reason: edit for corrected info

bater8slater is offline Annual Passholder

well. it souns kind of cool. but it seems just like cyber space mountain. preety much identical. I geuss geusts can do this while they are in the parks, rather then have to buy a ticket for Dinsey Quest to do cyber space mountain. Well, i'll have too look for some video on youtube of it. If i find anything I'll post it here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast