Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss McDonald's Replaced by Pollo Camparo Chicken in the News & Rumors forums; I saw this today on wdwmagic.com and thought I'd share it... McDonald's Downtown Disney news Marketplace, Downtown Disney McDonald's Downtown Disney set to close on April 30 2010 and replaced ...
    ftg09 is offline Fastpass Holder

McDonald's Replaced by Pollo Camparo Chicken

I saw this today on wdwmagic.com and thought I'd share it...

McDonald's Downtown Disney news
    Marketplace, Downtown Disney

McDonald's Downtown Disney set to close on April 30 2010 and replaced by Pollo Campero chicken
    Feb 04, 2010

It's been long rumored, but it's now confirmed that McDonald's at Downtown Disney will close on April 30 2010 and will be replaced by Pollo Campero, a Latin chicken quick service restaurant chain. The McDonalds location near to the All Star Resorts will remain open.

Here is the full press release from Pollo Campero.

Pollo Campero and Levy Campero Announce First Combined Restaurant Concept to Open at Downtown Disney® Marketplace

New Restaurant Slated to Open in Late 2010

DALLAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Pollo Campero, an international Latin chicken quick-service restaurant chain, has partnered with franchisee Levy Campero to deliver a new restaurant concept in Downtown Disney® Marketplace at Walt Disney World® Resort. The restaurant will feature Pollo Campero’s signature Latin chicken, as well as a new restaurant concept featuring fresh, healthy food.

“This is an exciting opportunity for Pollo Campero to introduce its famous chicken, along with our newest fresh restaurant concept of salads and wraps, to visitors from all over the world,” said Adam Cummis, president of Levy Campero. “We are thrilled to collaborate with one of the strongest brands in the world to showcase our Latin delicacies and look forward to a long working relationship.”

Walt Disney World guests will be able to savor combinations of freshly prepared Campero Latin chicken, unique, flavorful side dishes such as yuca fries and sweet plantains, and Latin drinks including horchata and tamarindo. The menu also will include nutritious and delicious meals such as chef-prepared salads, sandwiches and wraps using simple recipes derived from only the freshest ingredients.

“We’re pleased to offer this new Latin-style restaurant to our guests at Downtown Disney,” said Keith Bradford, vice president of Downtown Disney. “Its diversity of offerings and well-balanced options are the perfect addition to our current blend of dining experiences.”

“For decades, Walt Disney World has introduced its guests to rich cultural experiences,” said Juan Jose Gutierrez, chief executive officer of Pollo Campero. “We will build on the park’s rich cultural heritage, helping visitors discover the unique tastes and togetherness of family-style Latin dining.”

Pollo Campero’s food is freshly prepared each day. Fried and grilled chicken is marinated, sending the distinctive Campero flavor all the way to the bone. Fried chicken is hand-breaded in seasoned flour and slowly pressure-cooked without trans-fats, resulting in a flavorful and juicy meal. Grilled chicken features the taste of lime and orange juices, red bell peppers, and a special blend of Latin herbs and spices. The new fresh concept menu will feature fresh salads, sandwiches, fruits, and healthy snacks, as well as vegetarian, gluten-free, sugar-free, low-sodium or organic offerings.

This new family-oriented location at one of America’s beloved destinations – Walt Disney World – exemplifies Pollo Campero’s drive to become one of the top 50 quick-service restaurant brands in the United States. Pollo Campero has spent decades building a brand while retaining the values and service of a family-run business. By combining its efforts with Levy Campero, Pollo Campero has opened new doors including the expansion into Walt Disney World Resort.

About Pollo Campero
    The world’s largest Latin chicken restaurant chain, Pollo Campero offers its customers “Flavor You Can’t Campero.” The company serves more than 85 million customers each year at more than 300 restaurants in 12 countries around the globe. This includes more than 50 locations already open in the United States, with additional stores slated for this year. For more information, visit www.campero.com.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Re: McDonald's Replaced by Pollo Camparo Chicken

Well, I suppose that will be a nice change.

edwardsfire is offline C-Ticket Holder

Eh, i kinda liked the "cheap alternative" now and then.
    But...life goes on.

britney05 is offline C-Ticket Holder

ugh. I happened to like that mcdonalds.

karebear23 is offline A-Ticket holder

We kind of liked the McDonald's...not the healthiest.

But it's kind of a tradition for us to walk around Downtown Dis with the little ones and get Mcd's for lunch before we go home.

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."

YES!! Ooh, I like this! Something different and unique. I look forward to trying it.

I am not a McDonald's fan. I can appreciate their consistency, fast, and inexpensive food...but there are McDonald's all over the USA and now even most of the world!! This is so not a lost! I can get McDonald's so many other places, including still on WDW property. Part of the enjoyment of my vacations are eating new things or cuisine you don't have access too...
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

thegoz85 is offline D-Ticket Holder

I kind of fall on both sides of this argument. I like the McDonald's at DTD, but I'm kind of excited to try this new restaurant. I'd never heard of it until this news broke.

By the way, have you heard the news about a Vinylmation store coming to DTD? Here's a link. I know it has nothing to do with this thread, but it is DTD-related so I thought I'd share!
    "Every sunset leads to morning, with the promise of opportunity."
    ~Promise

Love Disney? Interested in technology? Read DisTECH! Click the logo to check it out:

Also find me on Facebook and Twitter!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

I never understood the logic of Disney bringing in McDonald's in the first place.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

thegoz85 is offline D-Ticket Holder

I don't think it had anything to do with logic so much as it had to do with cash.
    "Every sunset leads to morning, with the promise of opportunity."
    ~Promise

Love Disney? Interested in technology? Read DisTECH! Click the logo to check it out:

Also find me on Facebook and Twitter!

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

that will be an interesting change and cater to the millions of latin Americans who visit. The only time I went to the DTD McD's. i got 1 cheeseburger, 1 6 pc nugget, 2 fries and 2 drinks and it was over 18 dollars. Yeah, way too much, and way too available off property The new place should be a nice change.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I hate this change. McDonald's isn't great but it was as close to reasonably priced as you can get in WDW. We have Pollo Tropical (I call it Tropical Polio) down here in South Florida so I'm guessing that's what this new place will be like.

Dracula766 is offline A-Ticket holder

Pollo Campero is actually quite good. They are a BIG deal in South America. I read that when the first U.S. location opened several years ago, people waited for hours to get in. That was certainly the case when they first came to the Houston area as well.

Flrancho is offline D-Ticket Holder

I heard about this sometime last month. I think I'd like the change, it would be something different to have besides McDonald's that you could get pretty much anywhere. I don't think we have any other Pollo Campero's around here locally.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by elvistelth View Post
    I hate this change. McDonald's isn't great but it was as close to reasonably priced as you can get in WDW. We have Pollo Tropical (I call it Tropical Polio) down here in South Florida so I'm guessing that's what this new place will be like.
    Pollo Tropical is delicious, but hardly 'quick service'. Those guys seem to take forever.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Such an odd, random choice of restaurant to go in there. Though I guess that'll be part of the appeal. Still, I hope this smaller chain has their act together, feeding such a busy lunchtime.

Maybe an alternative to the norm will be a nice change. It cracks me up when tourists come here to NYC, and then for lunch or dinner immediately flock to Applebees or Red Lobster. You're in the biggest city in the US, standing in Times Square, and you are going to f'ing Applebees? Can't you get that at your local strip mall????
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.