Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss 10 year old boy killed, hit by Disney Bus. in the News & Rumors forums; SO sad...just a sad sad thing to have happen It does appear however that the bus driver did no wrong. Witnesses on board stated that the child rode off the ...
    edwardsfire is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: 10 year old boy killed, hit by Disney Bus.

SO sad...just a sad sad thing to have happen
    It does appear however that the bus driver did no wrong.
    Witnesses on board stated that the child rode off the bike path and into the side of the bus.
    either way..tragic. My prayers to the family.
    As a parent.....a cant even begin to understand how i would react.
    I hope and pray i never find out.

Disney's Folly is offline C-Ticket Holder

So tragic and sad. Tragedies like this happen everyday throughout America, but when it happens in Disney, it becomes this amplified loss of innocence. Unfortunately that means the story (like previous Disney accidents) become ripe for discussion on message boards and blogs, sometimes without all the right facts (I remember on some other sites seeing all the conjecture about the monorail accident which ultimately were so untrue.). It's unavoidable since it is news happening at a location that is a major source of interest to people like us and other fans.

And on the other side, something involving such a major corporation becomes a target for opportunists in the media, organizations and sometimes sadly families of a victim. If Disney was truly in the wrong, then justice should be served. If not, i think the family can be excused for blaming Disney while emotions are so raw and distraught. I would just hope in time that blame is placed on the right people NOT for sensationalism or opportunity, but to make sure it never happens again.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Disney should know better than to have carriage walks in such a high speed area. No matter who ooops'd, there is no margin for error when the road exactly meets the street. Dumb design. That is why parkways were created and Disney was not exactly lacking in land when that area was created.

Prayers to the family. I can't imagine their heartache.

Quote Originally Posted by the7thAve View Post
    Now, I'm not one to defend Disney when they're clearly in the wrong, but why would anyone take the word of someone who wasn't there over the word of someone who was??? Just because they are the victim's family (whom we all feel sorry for) does not automatically make them a credible source on what happened; and I'm inclined that a court would probably agree with me.
    And will the court agree that less than one inch is a good margin for error for a bike/walkway from the street. Appears Disney took the cheap way out in building that walkway. Safety does not seem to be the main concern in the design of that area for pedestrians. Look at the picture. Where the sidewalk meets the street. Then look at the speed limit for the cars and buses. Dumb.

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    And will the court agree that less than one inch is a good margin for error for a bike/walkway from the street. Appears Disney took the cheap way out in building that walkway. Safety does not seem to be the main concern in the design of that area for pedestrians. Look at the picture. Where the sidewalk meets the street. Then look at the speed limit for the cars and buses. Dumb.
    No need to get snarky, boss. I fail to see where your comment has anything to do with my post, which you quoted.
    My point was that people who did not see what happened can't just say, "Oh, our son is safer than that, it's definitely not his fault."

If we can dream it, we can do it

tiggerguy is offline All Around Good Guy

Let's all calm down here now.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Hmm. I didn't mean that to be snarky or bossy. Had no intentions of making anyone angry, that isn't what we want to be about here. I have years of experience in sidewalk placement and carriage walks dangers. That is a horrible set up. If you have to put up a carriage walk you at the very least put up ornamental fence rails.

If I had to take a stab at it or a guess. I'm guessing that they are taking the word of the other child. It might genuinely be how she is recalling it.
    Guessing nobody in that family is thinking clearly or rationally at the moment and can't believe the little girl will ever forget. Can't imagine the bus driver is doing much better. God bless them all.
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 04-04-2010 at 05:04 PM.

Disney's Folly is offline C-Ticket Holder

As a resident of Northern Jersey and frequent visitor of New York City, I can attest that Disney's roads and sidewalks are far more safer than similar situations up here. Bicyclers safely (though narrowly) ride side by side trucks and busses. Sidewalks run inches away from roads carrying garbage trucks, moving trucks and other large residential-street vehicles. And in most of these cases, probably driving as slow as a Disney bus.

The thing you can't prevent against is the freak accident of a bicycle veering off its course INTO a mechanized vehicle. Drivers are alert to many things but an out-of-the-blue accident isn't an indictment on their transportation or safety systems, or corporate policy.

That said, I wasn't getting far in suburbia at that age on a bike without my parents supervising me. Certainly not in any areas where I could be riding near bus or large vehicle routes.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by Disney's Folly View Post
    As a resident of Northern Jersey and frequent visitor of New York City, I can attest that Disney's roads and sidewalks are far more safer than similar situations up here. Bicyclers safely (though narrowly) ride side by side trucks and busses. Sidewalks run inches away from roads carrying garbage trucks, moving trucks and other large residential-street vehicles. And in most of these cases, probably driving as slow as a Disney bus.
    Have you BEEN to the city lately? Heck, not even lately. In the past five years? Bloomburg has successfully turned this whole **** town into one huge bike path. Couldn't get his tollbooths passed on the free bridges, so he's goign to shut down traffic completely, if he gets his chance. Not that I don't like the beautification along the West Side Highway, but do we really need a mega pedestrian walkway running right through the middle of Times Square???
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

voyageofariel is offline Annual Passholder

I heard about this awhile ago and I hope that the family is doing a little bit better... Very tragic loss but I think that we all know that Walt is taking care of him and entertaining him in heaven with his Mickey Mouse voice Prayers to the famiy and I really am hoping no other accidents like this will happen any time soon... It's just to sad and upsetting.

Tammy
    Party on Deck 7 with the Cool Kids!!

"We're so glad to see you all, shake the rafters fill the hall! Hoop dee doin' it with all our might! Hoop dee doin it, hoop dee doin it, hoop dee doin it tonight. Ya Hoo!"- Hoop Dee Doo Revue!

petals3485 is offline Annual Passholder

That's very sad.

There is a newspaper article in the irish papers from the last week as well about deaths in Euro Disney. It's all very sad.

tlud67 is offline A-Ticket holder

Such a sad story; my heart goes out to everyone involved.
    I am a Deek! A disney Geek!

voyageofariel is offline Annual Passholder

Smile Re: 10 year old boy killed, hit by Disney Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by tlud67 View Post
    Such a sad story; my heart goes out to everyone involved.
    Yeah....

Tammy
    Party on Deck 7 with the Cool Kids!!

"We're so glad to see you all, shake the rafters fill the hall! Hoop dee doin' it with all our might! Hoop dee doin it, hoop dee doin it, hoop dee doin it tonight. Ya Hoo!"- Hoop Dee Doo Revue!

Just saw this picture and it demonstrated my point of how safe some Disney sidewalks are verses others.

If the carriage walks at Ft. Wilderness were outfitted like these around the contemporary, well the outcome might have been different, sadly.

Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Quote Originally Posted by the7thAve View Post
    Now, I'm not one to defend Disney when they're clearly in the wrong, but why would anyone take the word of someone who wasn't there over the word of someone who was??? Just because they are the victim's family (whom we all feel sorry for) does not automatically make them a credible source on what happened; and I'm inclined that a court would probably agree with me.

You are right about the courts but more then likely Disney will settle any possible lawsuit to avoid bad publicity.

Not sure what the laws in Florida are but in some Ohio cities a bicycle is considered a vehicle and should be ridden on the roadway, with proper lighting in the front and rear of course.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12