Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss "I'm going to WDW... then the hospital!" in the News & Rumors forums; LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- One of the rides at Walt Disney World is apparently a little too much for some of the older people willing to get on board. ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

"I'm going to WDW... then the hospital!"

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- One of the rides at Walt Disney World is apparently a little too much for some of the older people willing to get on board.

Six people over the age of 55 have been taken to a hospital for chest pain and nausea after going the ride called "Mission: Space."

It is the most hospital visits for a single ride since Florida's major theme parks agreed in 2001 to report any serious injuries to the state.

The only other ride that approaches that number was Universal Orlando's "Ripsaw Falls," which had three reported injuries in 2002.

Although the reports showed no major maladies from Mission: Space, the hospital visits may come up in discussions this summer with state officials who consult annually with park officials about safety.

Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Xharryb is offline C-Ticket Holder
    hmmm... could it have anything to do with their age?!

I mean, i know there are many individuals out there over the age of 50 who are still extremely active and able handle most of this stuff, but facts are facts and the elder body may not be able to take some of the extra stress that such rides put on you.

Maybe the problem has to do with the fact that unlike a rollercoaster that is out in the open where everyone can see what they are getting themselves into, MS is enticingly located indoors. No matter how many warnings you post, people (of all ages) may not actually realize what they are getting themselves into.
    This space designated as a DRAMA FREE ZONE

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    They warn you enough and give you plenty of chances to exit the ride. I try not to ride it too many times in a row so I can give my body a few moments to catch up. It is a very realistic ride.

Xharryb is offline C-Ticket Holder
    yeah, there are a lot of posted warnings and even stated warnings by CMs, my point is that those are easier to ignore than say a coaster that is visibly towering over you and striking fear in your heart.

It's also a very different type of motion and body stress than most thrill rides, which can also contribute to thinking you can handle that which you really can't.

just my own little theory on why there are problems with this particular attraction.
    This space designated as a DRAMA FREE ZONE

lexitink is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: "I'm going to WDW... then the hospital!"

All this bad disney news is getting me down.

fungus_01 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I agree that Mission Space can be somewhat misleading (that's probably not the word I want but it's the one that comes to mind) on just how much stress it can put on the body. I've only ever ridden the "easier" (aka light version) and it gives me problems with dizziness and other side effects, and I'm only 26 and in pretty good health! All I can say is, if it doesn't look like an attraction would be in your best interest to ride, then don't do it.

*2006 Off site*2007 Pop*2008 Off site*2009 Pop/POR*2010 June Pop*Oct Pop*Dec Pop*2011 Dec CB Pirate Room*2012 Nov Disney Dream*Dec Pop*2013 Feb Pop*March The Swan*​Dec Pop*2014 Oct Disney Fantasy

rhmiv is offline A-Ticket holder

You know if your body can handle certain type of rough situations. I know my limitations. Why can't other people, insted of making news for themselves. Media feeds on this negitivty, which is very sad to say.

flutter is offline Moderator

but you know this isn't new news...this thread is 5 years old

fungus_01 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by flutter View Post
    but you know this isn't new news...this thread is 5 years old
    I saw that

*2006 Off site*2007 Pop*2008 Off site*2009 Pop/POR*2010 June Pop*Oct Pop*Dec Pop*2011 Dec CB Pirate Room*2012 Nov Disney Dream*Dec Pop*2013 Feb Pop*March The Swan*​Dec Pop*2014 Oct Disney Fantasy

rhmiv is offline A-Ticket holder

Sorry, I am a new guy to the posting thing. But it is still it is the truth about the news.

MagicMom is offline C-Ticket Holder

John Glenn said that this ride was very realistic. I think I would believe him, maybe they should have put his quote outside the ride!