Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Disney ending big discounts? in the News & Rumors forums; It worries me that they plan on ending the discounts...I think non-Disney fanatics (ya know, people who aren't enticed to be on boards like this ) may be turned away ...
    DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

Re: Disney ending big discounts?

It worries me that they plan on ending the discounts...I think non-Disney fanatics (ya know, people who aren't enticed to be on boards like this ) may be turned away without any kind of incentive to go while everyone is still recovering from the recession. While the country may be showing signs of improvement, it is going to take a little longer for hard hit individuals to rebound. If they want to ditch the free meal plan, fine, but I suggest offering some other incentives.

Also, DVC Members: Anyone else feel as though there aren't many perks for being a member? There used to be more discounts and such, and these days I wonder what we pay for. My parents are seriously thinking about getting rid of ours because the timeshare we have with Marriott just offers so much more...
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JNota0005DakMC View Post
    hey... Disney stores have been terrible the last 8 or so years... they turned into a clothes and toy store... i remember going to the mall and the Disney store was legit... they had statues... figurines... like an Art of Disney section...

it just seems to have gone downhill form there... the only thing they are good for now is to buy tickets to the parks...

You're completely right! Its because Disney sold it off to some outside company...I used to loooove going in the Disney Store, but I don't think I have been in one for at least 6 years now...
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

i went the other day... just to buy tix for my august vaca... and in regards to the DVC... im buying points from a member... i dont think i would jump on board right now... considering the lack of incentives... i lost out on free dining because im using someone's DVC points...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Disney's Folly is offline C-Ticket Holder

If the perception really is that the economy is on an upswing and things will level out soon enough, then I'd like to share the wallet of whoever is doing that perceiving. Even though it SEEMS like things are better than last year when the bottom fell out in the market, I would hardly say that everything's coming up roses. Here in NJ, life is tough and not getting any better. The cost of living continues to surge while people are lucky if they even get a raise (some get demotions). The tax situation is a mess. I think a lot of people are just turning to their credit cards to stay afloat. From my view, the economy is still in the toilet and short of a miracle, isn't getting out for a long time.

If Disney plans to market itself towards the upper class, then I guess they could probably kill the discounts.

i think they do actually believe that they can make the same amount of money with less people attending the resort... maybe they are right... but is that the way Uncle Walt would want it?
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!

edwardsfire is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by JNota0005DakMC View Post
    i think they do actually believe that they can make the same amount of money with less people attending the resort... maybe they are right... but is that the way Uncle Walt would want it?
    Yep. If you actually do alot of research on uncle Walt....he was sooo business savy. YES, he was incredible detail oriented and cared deeply about saftey,cleanliness,employee (appearance) and wanted all of his employees to be professional while at work..but he also knew the importance of making money..lots of it. He was a Donald Trump or a Jack Welch of his time.
    I would LOVE for WDW or DLR to have LESS guests and the same or more profit.
    It would be nice to deal with less crowds!!!

Disney's Folly is offline C-Ticket Holder

I honestly cannot grasp this idea that less people paying more per stay is better for the company. For one, you risk a severe backlash of fans who are getting priced out in a bad economy. The long term effects of that could be devastating. Also, the more people in the parks, the more buying food and merchandise. I can't imagine that Disney would rather have one guy staying at Contemporary and buying a $50 dinner than a family of 8 staying at All Star Sports and spending $20 on dinner each.

Plus i have to imagine that when the discounts run dry, the guests are savvy enough to skip the merchandise all together AND seek out alternatives to the overpriced mediocre quick service food. And of course, head for the Days Inn.

britney05 is offline C-Ticket Holder

This would be so silly on Disney's part....they are getting so many more people to go by giving these huge discounts.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

I need them to continue in order for me to go! Well, it sure wouldn't hurt anyway.

GoofyGuy is offline D-Ticket Holder

[QUOTE=Disney's Folly;883124]If the perception really is that the economy is on an upswing and things will level out soon enough, then I'd like to share the wallet of whoever is doing that perceiving. Even though it SEEMS like things are better than last year when the bottom fell out in the market, I would hardly say that everything's coming up roses. Here in NJ, life is tough and not getting any better. The cost of living continues to surge while people are lucky if they even get a raise (some get demotions). The tax situation is a mess. I think a lot of people are just turning to their credit cards to stay afloat. From my view, the economy is still in the toilet and short of a miracle, isn't getting out for a long time.

After getting laid off from my job 6/1/2009, I finally found one 3 weeks ago, so I've been out of work for a year, and things are not as rosey and great as they are trying to make people believe. I am making 50% less an hour just to have a job. I was making more weekly collecting unemployment, then any job I could find. They are saying that here in NH the unemployment rate dropped in May. But trust me people are not making the same amount of money and the economy is definitly NOT any better.

We still decided to go ahead and plan our trip in November, we already have the flights booked and paid, I was just waiting to see if Disney was going to offer any deals in November, I guess not, after reading all these posts, however we will be purchasing our package before August, because I know that's the time they usually raise the addmission prices for the year. If it means staying at a value this time we will.

We always book through 407-Disney and they've always been quite accomodating to our requests and giving us discounts, and so far they always seem to beat AAA and NEVER - EVER go through a travel agent again! Just my advice.

See down in the World in 140 Days!
    ~ Rick
    February 1997 - Off Property
    October 1999 - Off Property
    November 2000 - Off Property
    November 2001 - All Star Music
    November 2002 - All Star Music
    November 2003 - All Star Movies
    November 2005 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    October 2007 - Pop Century Classic Years
    November 2008 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    November 2010 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    November 2012 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    November 2013 - All Star Music

ive been thinking and something tells me that they may be just ending this so they can do something else... they cant be that blind really... can they...?
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

I think they can be that short sighted. They know people are going to come to the parks. Plus now with the Gulf oil spill the number of people coming to Orlando is going to jump. One of the articles I read said they were willing to take the hit from people not going because of the no discount thing.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

i had heard that as well... they wouldnt mind the parks being a bit quieter because they can still make the same money with less ppl...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

DisneyMatt is offline A-Ticket holder

I hope there is no truth to this, although it does make some cents....ERRR sense from Disney's perspective. They just need to be careful about some backlash. I guess I am staying off property next year!
    never fear...DISNEYMATT IS HERE!!

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

I wish I saved the article I read this from but it all appears true.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast