Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Disney ending big discounts? in the News & Rumors forums; I heard on another Podcast that Disney is ending or limiting it's major discount programs next year. Has anyone heard this? Is this the end of programs like Free Dining, ...
    ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Disney ending big discounts?

I heard on another Podcast that Disney is ending or limiting it's major discount programs next year. Has anyone heard this? Is this the end of programs like Free Dining, Buy four/get three, etc?

Anyone have any thoughts/info?
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Disney ending big discounts?

There was an announcement from Disney around January that the discounts would come to an end during mid-2010 or fall of 2010. Well that didn't happen. Disney said the economy showed signs of recovering by then.

Maybe is hedging the economy will be better in 2011. If Disney pulls the plug on discounts and continues to raise prices of food, hotels, admission, strollers, lockers, etc. and the economy is not bustling, they might regret it. Time will tell. They might change their minds yet again.

RollTideMickey is offline A-Ticket holder

Actually I did read an article from the executives of WDW. This is accurate information...the exact quote was "We would like to end our discount program in the fall, bring our prices back to normal. Even if it lessens overall foot traffic." I think they are trying to not give these vacations away to make more on the top end. IMO the more foot traffic the better, because you might not make the money at first at the gate...but you tell me who goes to WDW and dosen't spend money on food, merch, etc. Come on Disney you know good and well you will make the money inside and outside the parks while ppl are on property!!! If you want to see the article go to Theme Park Insider

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

The deep discounts may be ending over the next year, but I would anticipate some type of enticement deal to avoid rack rate and gate price sticker shock.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

The close of 2009 was to be the end of the discount programs. Then they brought them back for 2010. Once the economy rebounds, they may start doing away with them again. They're losing a bundle by doing the free meal programs, but it's still far less than they'd be losing on merchandise, park tickets and hotels if people didn't show up at all.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I also heard they will be doing this as soon as this Fall. We shall see. I can't imagine them cutting all discounts 100%. They have to have give some tickle to those who are on the fence about going.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

they will always have some sort of discount around the corner, come new incentive idea, or just SOMETHING!!

By always having something they can always claim that their prices are still "reasonable"...

They need that for ppl. not to say... "Wow, I just paid $8000 on a weeks vacation...!"

what they want ppl to say is, "Wow, I just paid $8000 on a weeks vacation...! Oh but I would have paid $12000 if not for the ____________ (insert your won discount here)"
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    The close of 2009 was to be the end of the discount programs. Then they brought them back for 2010. Once the economy rebounds, they may start doing away with them again. They're losing a bundle by doing the free meal programs, but it's still far less than they'd be losing on merchandise, park tickets and hotels if people didn't show up at all.
    I think they are doing pretty well with attendance due to these discounts. I heard they knew they were going to take a hit on attendance with the end of the discount programs but they are willing to do it.
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

tlud67 is offline A-Ticket holder

I had just went to my travel agent yesterday, planning a trip in late September/early October, and she had heard from the Disney Company that they will have very little to no specials in the Fall of 2010.
    I am a Deek! A disney Geek!

edwardsfire is offline C-Ticket Holder

Its easy to find room only "codes" on the internet. Even during the boom years...you could still get good discounts on your room stay.
    Sadly, i dont see the economy getting a whole lot better until the next administration.

I agree on the economy. I really can be just as happy staying off property but my preference would be in a Disney Resort w/free dining. Guess there's nothing we can do about it.

DisneyDreamer13 is offline A good friend gets you out of jail, a great friend wakes up next to you!
    6,976km from Cinderella Castle / 408km from Sleeping Beauty Castle

I have 2 thoughts on this and will admit they are opposite sides of the argument.....

I think the offers will continue as in the UK the trans-atlantic vacation packages for fall 2011 can already be booked with free DDP

I wont be surprised if the offers are cut back, if they are now planning on developing the other half of the POP resort that was put on hold after the slump in business following 9/11 then to me that indicates booking must be improving for Disney
    x FIONA x
    1989 WDW Offsite1990 WDWOffsite1991Offsite/Contemporary1992 EuroDisney Offsite(schooltrip)
    1992 WDW Offsite/GrandFloridian2001 DLP Davy CrocketRanch2008 Offsite villa/Contempoary
    2009DLP Hotel Santa Fe 2010Clearwater/get married/POR
    Sisterhood of the travelling pirate in the pants

it is either that or they are finally deciding to finish projects that they poured millions of dollars into, and never finished...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!

FinePhotoGraphx is offline A-Ticket holder

Wow, end of discounts is discouraging. Considering we live in the Midwest with the lower cost of living, etc. and there is no Disney attraction here a non-discount trip to WDW is a major investment. We have been able to go a few times in the last few years due to discounts. Before that it had been almost 20 years, primarily do to expense.

Whatever happened to Disney's plans to build regional attractions, something along the size of a Mall of America? I would love to see them package the magic in other locations and done much better than the Disney Stores which they recently bought back I understand.

Mark Sties
    , Photographer & Digital Storyteller
    Check out the new WDW PhotoGraphics photo blog

hey... Disney stores have been terrible the last 8 or so years... they turned into a clothes and toy store... i remember going to the mall and the Disney store was legit... they had statues... figurines... like an Art of Disney section...

it just seems to have gone downhill form there... the only thing they are good for now is to buy tickets to the parks...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast