Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Golden Oak Neighborhood in the News & Rumors forums; Has anyone else seen this new residential neighborhood they're building? I think it's kinda ridiculous actually. It's a glorified Celebration, FL. They're going to build it 3 miles from both ...
    WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Golden Oak Neighborhood

Has anyone else seen this new residential neighborhood they're building? I think it's kinda ridiculous actually. It's a glorified Celebration, FL.

They're going to build it 3 miles from both Magic Kingdom and Epcot with houses ranging from $1.5M-$9M! That is so expensive it's not even funny.
    I know you get what you pay for, but this just seems like overkill.

What does everyone else think?
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

Flrancho is offline D-Ticket Holder

Re: Golden Oak Neighborhood

I don't like the idea of seeing houses on Disney property. I know they have the apartments for the Cast Members and everything.... it just seems somehow that there being houses there would ruin some of the magic.

Not to mention I heard that if Disney is setting up a residential community on property, those residents get a vote in any major changes Disney wants to do since it is their "community" and they live there. I didn't think of that, but I can't imagine that boding well.

I feel like they could use that space for something better than some rich people's homes. And if I'm not mistaken, WDW is saving land to never be developed for conservation reasons. Granted, yes, they have lots of space left, but they had better watch what they use it for.
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by Flrancho View Post
    I know they have the apartments for the Cast Members and everything.... it just seems somehow that there being houses there would ruin some of the magic.
    Actually the College Program Apartments are owned by Disney but they are not "on" Walt Disney World Property! Disney owns a couple big blocks of land for this purpose that is very close to WDW. They also own a recreation park for Cast Members and their families that is also on this land called Mickey's Retreat. None of it is connected to the WDW Property. They transport via unmarked buses to casting entrance areas. For a few years they had the international college program cast in the Old Treehouses. They moved offsite with the other programs CM's when the Old Treehouses were removed.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

The land used for Golden Oaks and the Four Seasons has been de-annexed from Reedy Creek Improvement District and is administered by Orange County now. So owners/residents of these will not have votes in RCID.

It is on the far side of Fort Wilderness, on the edges of the property, so it isn't all that much closer than other developments over on Winter Garden Vineland Rd.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Hypermommy is offline Fastpass Holder

Is it adjacent to some non-WDW property? When I saw a map yesterday it looked like it was going to have WDW property on all sides. So it would be kind of like a "hole" in Reedy Creek that "fell back through" to being administered by Orange County (if that makes any sense at all).
    Hypermommy

bethinthesun is offline A-Ticket holder

Bad timing for the announcement. Seems extravagant, excessive and elitist when many families are saving and sacrificing just to visit WDW.
    Bad location. Can't believe they are giving up that land where just a select few can afford it.
    You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension - a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by Hypermommy View Post
    Is it adjacent to some non-WDW property? When I saw a map yesterday it looked like it was going to have WDW property on all sides. So it would be kind of like a "hole" in Reedy Creek that "fell back through" to being administered by Orange County (if that makes any sense at all).
    Well, I guess it depends on what is deemed "Disney" property, and what you want to define as WDW, or RCID.

The "map" on the official GO site indicates that the WDW resort area stretches nearly all the way to 535.

Immediately to the east of the development (what was the Eagle Pines golf course), at the southern end is some backstage support buildings, halfway up is a large apartment development, and and the northern end isn't fully developed yet (at least as of 2006). Then there is WGV Blvd, on the opposite side of which the Grand Cypress resort.

Although Disney could still "own" the property and say its within WDW, it doesn't need to be part of RCID for administrative purposes. And if they are actually selling the lots, then I don't think they can still call it Disney property since the homeowner would own the land.

Like other similar maps, things are exaggerated. The location in relation to Bay Lake put it right on top of Fort Wilderness...
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

ERich2010 is offline just cant get enough

im wondering if theyll be able to tax the families at all. like to help pay for stuff around the world? i cant imagine itd be that great of an increase in income though
    Eric

Yo Ho Yo Ho a Pirates Life for Me...

Bangarang Rufio

mmouse6937 is offline C-Ticket Holder

I think it's pretty over the top. Not that we all wouldn't love to "live" at WDW I think it will take away from some of the secluded feeling if you can see people's houses.

I just want to know when Lou's buying one
    Sarah

76-84 Two Trips as a Child, '00 Best Western LBV, '01 Best Western LBV, '02 Polynesian (OUR DISNEYMOON!!), '03 CBR, '05 CBR, '06 DisneyLand, '07 POR, 09/08 CBR, 12/08 BC, 09/09 BW, 03/10 POP, 12/10 POP, 11/12 Dream Cruise 2.0

My babies: Nala, Scooter, Pinto, Minnie, Daisy, Dory, and George

"Saving one animal will not change the world, but surely for that one animal the world will change forever"

Hypermommy is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    Like other similar maps, things are exaggerated. The location in relation to Bay Lake put it right on top of Fort Wilderness...
    Excellent points all... thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mmouse6937 View Post
    I just want to know when Lou's buying one
    Right, because the next weekend is the 24 hour podcast from his house, right?
    Hypermommy

Disney's Folly is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by bethinthesun View Post
    Bad timing for the announcement. Seems extravagant, excessive and elitist when many families are saving and sacrificing just to visit WDW.
    Precisely my feelings. Between this, the luxury pet resort, Disney's talk of reducing discounts, the old Night Kingdom rumors, etc. you almost get the sense the Disney Company despises the middle class. Do they prefer to have their theme parks and hotels full of above $500K/yr families?

The economy hasn't even remotely improved here in NJ. Public servants are losing their jobs in masses to keep property taxes down. Unemployment keeps increasing. The private sector is in shambles. Real estate is not improving. There is absolutely ZERO hope on the horizon for these issues. I was lucky to have a sizable enough tax return this year to afford my vacation. It's just very insulting to see this announcement in this type of climate. I'm not saying that stable salaried/wealthier people can't have their fun. But Disney maintains an image to its fans and this suggests not only disregard to how the economy affects most of us, but it also turns its extravagant nose at us and seems to walk by chuckling at our peasantry.

Also, creatively speaking...it's frustrating to see a company that can't get an audio-animatronic Yeti to work pouring money into pet hotels and billionaire housing. Yes i know we're getting the Fantasyland expansion but wouldn't the effort, time and money in these projects be better served say expanding the monorail, plussing DHS, or creative some other exciting new attraction ventures?

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who finds this is elitist, exclusive, and slightly unnecessary.
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

Flrancho is offline D-Ticket Holder

I don't know myself, but from what I've heard other people say about the Disney Pet Resort, its very comparable price-wise to other pet resorts located across the country. Also keeping in mind that Disney doesn't own these pet kennels anymore, Best Friends does. I'm not sure how much, if any, money Disney poured into the kennel. And though I would have just rather Disney said that pets could now be allowed in resort rooms for an additional fee, I don't necessarily think building the pet resort was a waste. Most people will stop buying things for themselves before they will for their pets

I do think the houses though seem elitist and was announced during probably the worst time possible due to the economy.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney's Folly View Post
    Precisely my feelings. Between this, the luxury pet resort, Disney's talk of reducing discounts, the old Night Kingdom rumors, etc. you almost get the sense the Disney Company despises the middle class. Do they prefer to have their theme parks and hotels full of above $500K/yr families?

The economy hasn't even remotely improved here in NJ. Public servants are losing their jobs in masses to keep property taxes down. Unemployment keeps increasing. The private sector is in shambles. Real estate is not improving. There is absolutely ZERO hope on the horizon for these issues. I was lucky to have a sizable enough tax return this year to afford my vacation. It's just very insulting to see this announcement in this type of climate. I'm not saying that stable salaried/wealthier people can't have their fun. But Disney maintains an image to its fans and this suggests not only disregard to how the economy affects most of us, but it also turns its extravagant nose at us and seems to walk by chuckling at our peasantry.

Also, creatively speaking...it's frustrating to see a company that can't get an audio-animatronic Yeti to work pouring money into pet hotels and billionaire housing. Yes i know we're getting the Fantasyland expansion but wouldn't the effort, time and money in these projects be better served say expanding the monorail, plussing DHS, or creative some other exciting new attraction ventures?
    Excellent point and it echoes my feelings exactly. I noticed that most of the recent movies that have been released by Disney, such as Alice in Wonderland on DVD and Prince of Persia at the theaters, no longer say Walt Disney Presents. They read Disney above the title. TO me it's the little things that show that Disney management is starting to lose touch with the people who made them #1 and that's the American Middle Class.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast