Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss DL Employee-Hijab, huh?????? in the News & Rumors forums; i am in the majority here as well... if she chose to work onstage then she would have to confine to Disney's strict uniform policy... as they all do... Disney ...
    JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Re: DL Employee-Hijab, huh??????

i am in the majority here as well... if she chose to work onstage then she would have to confine to Disney's strict uniform policy... as they all do... Disney here was accommodating by giving her an offstage job... it was her fault that she did not want the job they give you... it is different because of religion... but if it is not part of the strict policy on uniforms... then it is what it is...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

I heard a long discussion of this on a Chicago News radio station yesterday while bondo'ing my driveway back together.

They had a copy of Disney's On Stage Character costume requirements.
    If you take a position for a specific On Stage CM you must wear that costume. There are all sorts of requirements.

ex. You can't have visible tattoo. If you have one on your forearm it either needs to be completely covered or you need to be a CM with long sleeved Costuming.

The lawyers on the radio show indicated that Disney created the manual so these types of issues would not be issues and they believe it will be tossed right out of court because she agreed to take a specific CM position with that particular costume. Further she held that position for a long time without issue.

Disney was going above and beyond to attempt to create an adaptation for the woman. They were not required to do so nor were their costumers required to drop everything and immediately start working on her adaptation.

It was a very long discussion of Disney and their "on stage" CM's. Off stage they are very liberal. If you are not a flexible CM off stage they have countless positions.

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I heard a long discussion of this on a Chicago News radio station yesterday while bondo'ing my driveway back together.

If you take a position for a specific On Stage CM you must wear that costume. There are all sorts of requirements.

ex. You can't have visible tattoo. If you have one on your forearm it either needs to be completely covered or you need to be a CM with long sleeved Costuming.

The lawyers on the radio show indicated that Disney created the manual so these types of issues would not be issues and they believe it will be tossed right out of court because she agreed to take a specific CM position with that particular costume. Further she held that position for a long time without issue.

Disney was going above and beyond to attempt to create an adaptation for the woman. They were not required to do so nor were their costumers required to drop everything and immediately start working on her adaptation.

It was a very long discussion of Disney and their "on stage" CM's. Off stage they are very liberal. If you are not a flexible CM off stage they have countless positions.
    i agree with all of this.. 2 yrs is along time to never mention it and all of a sudden have a issue
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post

see i was under the impression that there was a strict policy especially for onstage employees... this will never hold up in court... especially because the woman went 2 yrs. without any issues... they will say... "you created the issue purposely for this reason..." she must have not been that religious before if it took 2 yrs. for this to come up...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!

update on the story

Disney, Muslim worker agree on hijab substitute
    Disney is allowing a Muslim employee at its Orange County park to wear a specially designed headscarf after initially objecting to her religious head covering, the Council on American-Islamic Relations said Monday.
    Noor Abdallah, 22, was told she couldn’t wear the hijab while working as a vacation planner at a Disneyland Resort Esplanade ticket booth. She declined to take another job away from the public, the council said.
    The park worked with Abdallah to design a covering to match her costume and meet her religious needs, Disneyland spokeswoman Suzi Brown said. She’s been wearing a blue scarf topped with a beret since early this month.
    Pop Century October 2010
    Chrissy

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy&Tayen View Post
    update on the story

Disney, Muslim worker agree on hijab substitute
    Disney is allowing a Muslim employee at its Orange County park to wear a specially designed headscarf after initially objecting to her religious head covering, the Council on American-Islamic Relations said Monday.
    Noor Abdallah, 22, was told she couldn’t wear the hijab while working as a vacation planner at a Disneyland Resort Esplanade ticket booth. She declined to take another job away from the public, the council said.
    The park worked with Abdallah to design a covering to match her costume and meet her religious needs, Disneyland spokeswoman Suzi Brown said. She’s been wearing a blue scarf topped with a beret since early this month.
    FYI, this is a different person. The person who filed suit worked at the Grand Californian, and as far as I know that case is still pending.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

so they have 2 suits going on?
    Pop Century October 2010
    Chrissy

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy&Tayen View Post
    so they have 2 suits going on?
    As far as I know, there is no second suit. This was just another person who had a similar issue, and worked with Disney to address it instead of filing suit.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Thanks for the additional info and updates. I am really curious as to how this situation gets resolved.

hey... Disney considers there on stage CM's to be like performers... so the suit may not hold up in court... considering they offered her another job without a loss in pay...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

oh my.. stephen colbert pokes fun at this.. it starts somwhere about 2 mins in

Stephen Colbert’s Funny take on the Disney Muslim Intern Dress Code — WDW Daily News
    Pop Century October 2010
    Chrissy

Thanks for the link Chrissy.

can i just say... i love Stephen Colbert...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

im glad they got something to wear on their head.. but really.. i think what they designed looks crazy and HOT!
    Pop Century October 2010
    Chrissy

yeh...probably trying to frown upon them wearing it...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast