Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Private Segways coming to Disney??? in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by doconeill The only difference now is that the DOJ has rendered its own opinion, which differs from case law verdicts rendered so far, and even then there ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Private Segways coming to Disney???

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    The only difference now is that the DOJ has rendered its own opinion, which differs from case law verdicts rendered so far, and even then there appears to be different interpretations of what the DOJ has said. This is still far from over.
    Exactly! What the DOJ did

revised ADA regulations (which it calls a “game changer”), the DOJ’s position is that the settlement is unfair to the class members because the revised ADA regulations “expressly provides legal recognition of, and protection for, use of Segways [at theme parks] subject to legitimate safety considerations.” The regulations, DOJ said, do not permit places like WDW “to flatly refuse” to permit Segways “based on its belief that such devices are not ‘necessary’ for individuals with disabilities.” Saying the court was wrong to dismiss the lawsuit, Justice says “necessary” in the ADA should not mean the desired policy modification is “essential.”

Stated in somewhat plainer English, DOJ’s position is that an individual with a mobility impairment needs only to show that they need some physical assistance because of their impairment. They do not need to show that the physical assistance they want (i.e. a Segway) is “necessary.”

The DOJ recognizes that Segways need not be permitted if there are “legitimate safety considerations” but, it says, WDW cannot adhere to its “blanket ban on Segways at all Disney properties” based on WDW’s “bland and unsupported” safety concerns.

And in my humble opinion that is going to be the difficult part for Disney.
    I think Disney shot themselves in the foot by charging for Segway tours, letting guests on Segways while guests are indeed around the tours. This with an hour of training. They also allow staff to use them in crowded situations. Add in the success rate at Universal Studio's, San Diego Zoo etc. Disney is going to have a difficult time demonstrating Segways are indeed inherently more unsafe then the private and rented ECV's are.

DOJ did not believe the 3 people in the class action suit were a representive portion of people who utilize Segways for disability purposes.

So while the case is being appealed both sides must deal with the revised ADA regulations, prior they were working off the old.

So agree this isn't over. The new reg's have to have Disney Legal scrambling. The over all tone is the DOJ isn't amused with Disney's hard line or interpertations.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse

Private Stretch Segway Limo - "stands" four, that's what I'm holding out for
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

mickeymatt is offline B-Ticket Holder

Didn't the guy that invented them die by running of a cliff on one? I'm just saying.

Segway tycoon Jimi Heselden dies in cliff plunge on one of his own scooters | Mail Online

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by mickeymatt View Post
    Didn't the guy that invented them die by running of a cliff on one? I'm just saying.

Segway tycoon Jimi Heselden dies in cliff plunge on one of his own scooters | Mail Online
    He didn't invent them - Dean Kamen did. The guy who died I believe bought the company or something like that.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust

Founder of HESCO Bastion; countless men and women owe their lives to that stuff...

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

Yes, his house was on the edge of a cliff and from what I read he was a big dare devil and pushed boundaries with risky adventures.

I believe the next saga is the filing by March 15, 2011. Posturing will likely continue on both sides. I've seen a couple of Disney "Shirts" comments about the the US Department of Justice in the last few weeks. It isn't always wise to poke sticks at the Justice Department.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

The new Main Street! Just imagine a whole Brazilian tour group full of segways!

YouTube - Segway Fall

So easy an ape can do it!

YouTube - Chimpanzee Riding A Segway

Quote Originally Posted by mickeymatt View Post
    The new Main Street! Just imagine a whole Brazilian tour group full of segways!
    I don't think I would like to see any group of guests on Segways on mainstreet no matter what their nationality. Nor would I wish to be around a whole group pushing strollers, riding electric carts. Now if you had a group of Disabled Veterans on Segways on Main Street I'd get out of their way and cheer them on. I have the utmost respect for our veterans and even more for the disabled.

YouTube - Chimpanzee Riding A Segway
    The YouTube Chimp is a perfect example of how easy it is to operate a Segway. The Chimp jumps off at the end and the Segway stops. The odds that a disabled person would jump off and run away from their Segway, thinking it isn't happening.

You might be enlightened by the these YouTubes. They are not as cute as the Chimp but lends one to understand the freedom Segways give to some disabilities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP1-sfBYRZk

YouTube - Segways 4 Veterans

YouTube - Segways for Veterans
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 02-25-2011 at 06:31 PM.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

I don't think that anyone is arguing that jumping off a segway makes the segway dangerous any more than jumping off an ECV does. I think the concern is more about failure of the segway. If an ECV loses power suddenly, it stops. If a segway loses power...well, they used to fall over. It was actually possible to ignore the low power warnings and press on to the point there was not enough power to keep balance. They were actually recalled because of this. They were software patched to come to halt when it reaches a certain threshold. But I'm not clear on what happens for a sudden power loss, or if the kickstand is ever electronically engaged.

Now, show me a video of a chimp riding a segway in a crowded park, and that may change some minds...
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    I don't think that anyone is arguing that jumping off a segway makes the segway dangerous any more than jumping off an ECV does. I think the concern is more about failure of the segway. If an ECV loses power suddenly, it stops. If a segway loses power...well, they used to fall over. It was actually possible to ignore the low power warnings and press on to the point there was not enough power to keep balance. They were actually recalled because of this. They were software patched to come to halt when it reaches a certain threshold. But I'm not clear on what happens for a sudden power loss, or if the kickstand is ever electronically engaged.

Now, show me a video of a chimp riding a segway in a crowded park, and that may change some minds...
    It is the sudden failure of anything. You can what if anything. There have been many deaths in WDW on attractions and transportation. If we eliminated everything that could possibly go wrong or malfunction WDW would not exist. Even with the most careful planning and safety devices there was the monorail crash. Yet these attractions and transportation devices are updated or patched if you will and they keep them.

I would have respect for this Segway argument "if" Disney did not charge guests for tours on them. So are they only safe "if" they are Disney rented/toured. Is the Segway safe when their staff rides them in Epcot and DTD?

Toyota recalled vehicles for gas pedals sticking. They just recalled them again this week for a similar problem. Can you imagine this happening in a crowded parking lot at a Disney Park, it could hit a tram or a crowd of guests waiting to be picked up by a tram. Yet Disney allows Toyota's to enter their lots. Segways are doing fine in Zoo's and other Theme Parks.

I wish Disney would fuel their energy towards how Segways could work for the disabled instead of spending so much energry making sure it doesn't work. Disney's own actions demonstrate how safe Segways are by how many they own and rent for tours and they would not risk the lifes of their employees who use them or the guests that are near the employees that are riding them.

I don't care if people are on ECVs or Segways. The cheats among them will still p iss me off just as much as they always have. Won't make too much difference what the conveyance is.

- Walt Disney

Amen! I would not want to tempt fate.

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

I want to drive my monster truck through the Magic Kingdom. I'm gonna sue!

p.s. it has tires made by Nerf so if you're gonna say it isn't safe you're just plain old wrong!
    Last edited by MartianCrab; 02-25-2011 at 08:53 PM.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    The YouTube Chimp is a perfect example of how easy it is to operate a Segway. The Chimp jumps off at the end and the Segway stops. The odds that a disabled person would jump off and run away from their Segway, thinking it isn't happening.

You might be enlightened by the these YouTubes. They are not as cute as the Chimp but lends one to understand the freedom Segways give to some disabilities.

YouTube - Segs4Vets

YouTube - Segways 4 Veterans

YouTube - Segways for Veterans
    Wow! awesome videos. Thanks! I think segways are amazing. I know I would have liked one many times at Epcot by the end of the day!

Quote Originally Posted by MartianCrab
    I want to drive my monster truck through the Magic Kingdom. I'm gonna sue!
    If we're allowed monster trucks, then I surely must be allowed this as a mode of transport?

Imagine driving that bad-boy into the meandering crowds on Main Street at closing time...

- Walt Disney

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast