Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Private Segways coming to Disney??? in the News & Rumors forums; It appears the Class Action Suit for Disability use of Segways in Disney Parks maybe leaning towards the guests with the US Dept. of Justice becoming involved. Kinks need to ...
  1. #1
    HauntedGabe's Avatar
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hamlet, IL
    Posts
    27,226

    Private Segways coming to Disney???

    It appears the Class Action Suit for Disability use of Segways in Disney Parks maybe leaning towards the guests with the US Dept. of Justice becoming involved. Kinks need to be worked out but maybe.

    Mouse Planet:…It appears that the class-action lawsuit against Disney over the use of personal Segway mobility devices in the theme parks has gotten even more convoluted. The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) has gotten involved and—during the course of the court action—passed revised regulations for the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) aimed specifically at the use of Segways in theme parks. These new regulations say that theme parks could pre-qualify Segway users by asking for a letter from a doctor that the device is medically necessary. Of course, asking for such a letter is already against ADA regulations. DOJ did not resolve that contradiction. Stay tuned for what promises to be an extended battle. For much more detail, check out the story on the DISunplugged blog (link).
    Some people are like Slinkies.

    They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

    Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

  2. #2
    20K's Avatar
    20K
    20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Vulcania
    Posts
    2,121

    Re: Private Segways coming to Disney???

    Segways over ECVs?


    "I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

    - Walt Disney

  3. #3
    HauntedGabe's Avatar
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hamlet, IL
    Posts
    27,226

    Re: Private Segways coming to Disney???

    As a option. ECV's can be brought into Parks privately or rented. Guests that use and own Segways for their Disabilities filed a suit over Segways being banned for Disabled use in theme parks.

    A few of the reasons being brought up by the guests using Segways for that purpose has been. Sight-line, see more standing up. Some back injuries make it difficult to remain seated. Over the last few years Segways have been provided to Disable Veterans that experienced specific injuries. Ease of being transported over a ECV.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

    They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

    Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

  4. #4
    20K's Avatar
    20K
    20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Vulcania
    Posts
    2,121

    Re: Private Segways coming to Disney???

    Interesting


    "I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

    - Walt Disney

  5. #5
    JNota0005DakMC's Avatar
    JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    3,267

    Re: Private Segways coming to Disney???

    that does sound interesting... imagine that...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney


    "Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney


    "Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

    Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/




  6. #6
    Disney05's Avatar
    Disney05 is online now Premium Annual Passholder
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    5,279

    Re: Private Segways coming to Disney???

    This is gonna get interesting.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."


    http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

  7. #7
    joanna71985's Avatar
    joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Mickey's backyard (Orlando, FL)
    Posts
    1,675

    Re: Private Segways coming to Disney???

    Oh gosh, I hope not. This is a disaster waiting to happen
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

    CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009







  8. #8
    HauntedGabe's Avatar
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hamlet, IL
    Posts
    27,226

    Re: Private Segways coming to Disney???

    See I don't agree. There are no restrictions of how fast an electric wheel chair can go. None on the private ECV's. You have better depth perception. You can see the heels of people before you run into them in a cart.

    The wheels are low weight bearing. So if a foot gets run over it will not break a foot like the ECV's will, which is what happened in 2010 to a CM in DHS.

    I think it is a lot of whoop la. Universal Studios and the San Diego zoo have successfully had guests with disabilities with Segways for the disabled. If Disney genuinely believed they were dangerous their staff and guests would not be tootling around on them in the parks, for a fee. The disabled people who own them would likely be able to control them as well as an electric wheelchair or ECV's that take a greater foot print.

    Segways are also becoming an assistance to Little People who at time have problems walking distances and have difficulties operating carts meant for average sized people.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

    They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

    Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

  9. #9
    20K's Avatar
    20K
    20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Vulcania
    Posts
    2,121

    Re: Private Segways coming to Disney???

    I have to agree with Gabe, so long as they are used only by the truly disabled.


    "I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

    - Walt Disney

  10. #10
    doconeill's Avatar
    doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,322

    Re: Private Segways coming to Disney???

    Having been reading discussions about this from people far more qualified than I on the matter, from what I've been gathering the Segway may actually NOT fall under the requirements of the revised ADA regs, at least at the current time. It appears to fall under "Other mobility devices", which get a "may be allowed", not a "must". What the most recent ruling seems to say is that Disney cannot refuse Segways just on the belief that they are not "necessary" devices, which was one (of several) of their previous arguments against them. The DOJ did at least say that WDW did have the right to refuse them if there were legitimate safety concerns, but they would need to be defined and evaluated.

    Several judges have also rendered decisions counter to the DOJ's interpretation as well, although as far as I know they are all under appeal.

    I'm pretty sure that Disney has already raised the safety concern about the "failure mode" of a Segway, similar to that involving the 4-to-2-wheel convertible chair units like the iBOT. That is, when operated in two-wheel "balanced" mode (which the Segway is always in, except when the kickstand is down), a power failure would result in an unsafe situation for the occupant and those surrounding it. There was a separate suit by a guy who was fighting Disney about his being able to use his iBOT (or whatever model), which Disney disallowed. I believe it ended with Disney allowing it but he could not take it out of 4-wheel mode.

    I don't have an interest either way...just reporting what I know.

    I'll note that Disney may claim that Segways operating around standing guests is a safety concern, but yet they operate tours during operating hours with people who only learned how to use them that morning...

    As for making sure that only those who need it can use it...doesn't Florida disability law prevent Disney for asking for proof of any disability?
    Doc

    Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news


  11. #11
    20K's Avatar
    20K
    20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Vulcania
    Posts
    2,121

    Re: Private Segways coming to Disney???

    Quite possibly. I'm not a Floridian, so I do not know.


    "I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

    - Walt Disney

  12. #12
    HauntedGabe's Avatar
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hamlet, IL
    Posts
    27,226

    Re: Private Segways coming to Disney???

    Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    Having been reading discussions about this from people far more qualified than I on the matter, from what I've been gathering the Segway may actually NOT fall under the requirements of the revised ADA regs, at least at the current time. It appears to fall under "Other mobility devices", which get a "may be allowed", not a "must". What the most recent ruling seems to say is that Disney cannot refuse Segways just on the belief that they are not "necessary" devices, which was one (of several) of their previous arguments against them. The DOJ did at least say that WDW did have the right to refuse them if there were legitimate safety concerns, but they would need to be defined and evaluated.

    Several judges have also rendered decisions counter to the DOJ's interpretation as well, although as far as I know they are all under appeal.

    I'm pretty sure that Disney has already raised the safety concern about the "failure mode" of a Segway, similar to that involving the 4-to-2-wheel convertible chair units like the iBOT. That is, when operated in two-wheel "balanced" mode (which the Segway is always in, except when the kickstand is down), a power failure would result in an unsafe situation for the occupant and those surrounding it. There was a separate suit by a guy who was fighting Disney about his being able to use his iBOT (or whatever model), which Disney disallowed. I believe it ended with Disney allowing it but he could not take it out of 4-wheel mode.

    I don't have an interest either way...just reporting what I know.

    I'll note that Disney may claim that Segways operating around standing guests is a safety concern, but yet they operate tours during operating hours with people who only learned how to use them that morning...

    As for making sure that only those who need it can use it...doesn't Florida disability law prevent Disney for asking for proof of any disability?
    I had read these agruments before, it has moved beyond this now. It is indeed an ADA Device now. I don't think everyone is following the latest developments and are throwing in original suits and classifications. It is going to be interesting. Waiting for the PR of Disabled Veterans arriving at WDW on Segways and Disney says rent a $45.00 cart.

    US Classifies Segway PT as a mobility device under ADA

    November 18, 2010 at 10:10 am

    In September 2010 the US Federal government specifically classified the Segway Personal Transporter (PT) as a mobility device under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). This new rule accommodates “…the growing use of the Segway® PT as a mobility device by returning veterans and others who are using the Segway® PT as their mobility aid of choice.”The Federal regulations of the ADA were last updated prior to the invention of the PT, and certain sections therein gave rise to some uncertainty if a disabled person using a PT had the same rights as a disabled person using a wheelchair. The new rules under the ADA make it clear that disabled persons in wheelchairs, power chairs, mobility scooters and Segway PTs are legally entitled anywhere a pedestrian is allowed, and that premises must make reasonable provision for such access.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

    They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

    Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

  13. #13
    HauntedGabe's Avatar
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hamlet, IL
    Posts
    27,226

    Re: Private Segways coming to Disney???

    Quote Originally Posted by 20K View Post
    Quite possibly. I'm not a Floridian, so I do not know.

    Federal Laws do not allow anyone to ask for proof of a disability, so it isn't just Florida.

    Some go to WDW with proof for special passes for more severe disabilities and some go with proof for service animals. Guests offer info, WDW does not ask.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

    They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

    Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

  14. #14
    doconeill's Avatar
    doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,322

    Re: Private Segways coming to Disney???

    Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I had read these agruments before, it has moved beyond this now. It is indeed an ADA Device now. I don't think everyone is following the latest developments and are throwing in original suits and classifications. It is going to be interesting. Waiting for the PR of Disabled Veterans arriving at WDW on Segways and Disney says rent a $45.00 cart.

    US Classifies Segway PT as a mobility device under ADA

    November 18, 2010 at 10:10 am

    In September 2010 the US Federal government specifically classified the Segway Personal Transporter (PT) as a mobility device under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). This new rule accommodates “…the growing use of the Segway® PT as a mobility device by returning veterans and others who are using the Segway® PT as their mobility aid of choice.”The Federal regulations of the ADA were last updated prior to the invention of the PT, and certain sections therein gave rise to some uncertainty if a disabled person using a PT had the same rights as a disabled person using a wheelchair. The new rules under the ADA make it clear that disabled persons in wheelchairs, power chairs, mobility scooters and Segway PTs are legally entitled anywhere a pedestrian is allowed, and that premises must make reasonable provision for such access.
    Not sure where you got that quote from, but I know back then this was NOT the interpretation of the updated ADA rules at least as seen by Disney. As I said, they were classified under an "other" category, which did NOT require private companies like Disney to accommodate them. The only difference now is that the DOJ has rendered its own opinion, which differs from case law verdicts rendered so far, and even then there appears to be different interpretations of what the DOJ has said. This is still far from over.
    Doc

    Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news


  15. #15
    NC_WDW_Daddy's Avatar
    NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richlands, NC
    Posts
    3,335

    Re: Private Segways coming to Disney???

    With only a few segways in the parks, compard to the number of guests, it should be no different than the ECVs if the segways can negotiate crowds like the ECVs. I have never seen the segways negotiate those kind of crowds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Disney sells some of its world
    By Kellie19891992 in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-28-2006, 08:54 PM
  2. Walt Disney World Celebrates its 22nd Annual Christmas Day Parade on ABC
    By Kellie19891992 in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-13-2005, 09:21 PM
  3. Disney World on the Travel Channel - December 2005
    By Kellie19891992 in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-29-2005, 07:46 PM
  4. Disney road paves way to skip I-4, enter park
    By Kellie19891992 in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-13-2005, 09:37 AM
  5. My proposed Disney theme park resort
    By KentB3 in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-09-2005, 01:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •