Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Disney "NextGen" ride reservations in the News & Rumors forums; From Inside the Magic today... sorry it wouldn't link.. Disney announces “NextGen” theme park technology to include ride reservations from home, advance hotel check-in Disney’s award-winning, revolutionary FastPass system may ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Disney "NextGen" ride reservations

From Inside the Magic today... sorry it wouldn't link..

Disney announces “NextGen” theme park technology to include ride reservations from home, advance hotel check-in

Disney’s award-winning, revolutionary FastPass system may become a thing of the past in the coming years as the theme park pioneers work on their newest methods to eliminating lines.
    One of the biggest (likely the biggest) complaints guests have in attending a theme park is having to wait in line. You wait in line for hotel check-in, to ride attractions, see shows, eat, and even to use the restroom. And with the addition of FastPass as a way to reserve a time later in the day for a ride, guests even sometimes have to wait in line to get a pass.
    Disney is well aware of the negatives associated with waiting and for several years has been creating new technologies to help ease, or potentially eliminate, the need for queues. In an investors conference today in Anaheim, Calif., Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Tom Staggs said Disney’s ongoing “Next Generation Experience,” or “NextGen,” project will include ways of checking in for a Disney hotel stay at home, with delivery of room keys prior to arrival.
    But in an even bigger development, Staggs said Disney is developing “a version of Fast Pass for the an entire Disney vacation.” This new ride reservation system would allow guests to book times to ride various attractions in advance of even being in the park, much in the same way dining reservations are made. The same would be possible for seeing theme park shows and even meeting characters.
    And once on rides, the “NextGen” project will create experiences based on guests’ personal information, allowing a new level of interaction with attractions.

Staggs did admit that all of this technology is still years away. Right now, smaller steps are being made to improve waiting in line, such as adding interactive elements and games like those now found in the Magic Kingdom at Space Mountain, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, and soon at The Haunted Mansion.
    But do guests really want to reserve rides and shows from home? Doesn’t the average tourist already have enough planning to worry about, with hotel, plane, rental car, and dining reservations? Do guests at a Disney theme park want to eliminate all spontaneity from a trip?
    Moreover, what will happen to the traditional “standby” line for those who don’t make these reservations (or have any kind of FastPass)? Will those lines continue to get longer as a result of ride time bookings, essentially forcing all guests to make the reservations out of fear of spending hours in line?
    Disney is almost definitely considering all these scenarios and reactions to ride reservations and with the system still years away from showing up in the parks (if ever), there is plenty of time to get it right. But the worry remains… Perhaps instead of overhearing excited theme park visitors exclaiming “Let’s ride Space Mountain!”, it will turn to “What’s next on our schedule?” – and that’s no fun.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

aph
    aph is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Disney "NextGen" ride reservations

Ride reservations would be HORRIBLE!!
    Don't want to be on a tight knit schedule while on vacation.Taking the fun out of the parks.
    July 1973- Disneyland
    Nov 2002 -off property
    Oct 2004- off property
    Oct 2006- off property
    Nov 2010- Pop Century

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Worst idea ever. I can see the conversations in Disneyland now.

(A legitimate crying and screaming kid. One that desperately wants to ride Space Mountain, not one that is just flat-out misbehaving) "Mommy! I want to go ride Space Mountain!"

(Mother) "I'm sorry honey, our reservation for that is tomorrow. Right now we have Mickey's Fun Wheel coming up! How fun does that sound? Then we have Toy Story Mania and then the Silly Symphony Swings! We have 15 minute for lunch between those two as well!"
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

wallfan329 is offline Working on becoming a Disney CPer

I 100% agree with aph.

I feel like they are trying to take over our vacation and make us have a strict schedule. I would rather wait in line then have to worry about getting to my ride reservation.
    Mckayla
    My Disney College Program blog...everything from KSU life to getting ready for Spring 2015

♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫
    2001(PO),2003(BC and DCL Magic),2004(ASM),2005(Poly and DCL Magic),2006(HH & OKW),2007(SSR),2009(WL),2010(BW,Pop and Vero),2011(OKW),2012(AKL & OKW),2012(Pop, Reunion),2013(Band Trip/Birthday Trip...AoA/Off Property),2014(OKW,Pop and DCL Dream)
    ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by wallfan329 View Post
    I 100% agree with aph.

I feel like they are trying to take over our vacation and make us have a strict schedule. I would rather wait in line then have to worry about getting to my ride reservation.
    With this new system, standby wait times are going to be unreal.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust

Universal tried this at Jaws last summer.

It is a flawed waste.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

aph
    aph is offline Fastpass Holder

What are they Thinking???? Who's brilliant idea was this???
    I told my daughters this who are 15 and 18. They both think it's the dumbest idea ever.
    Last edited by aph; 02-17-2011 at 08:26 PM.
    July 1973- Disneyland
    Nov 2002 -off property
    Oct 2004- off property
    Oct 2006- off property
    Nov 2010- Pop Century

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by WDW4Ever View Post
    With this new system, standby wait times are going to be unreal.
    In theory it should have zero effect. Just like with Fastpass, a limited number would be available - possibly even from the same pool or instead of Fastpass.

I believe the rumblings are that Shanghai will serve as a testbed.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Cortini is offline Annual Passholder

I think that this is a BAD idea. I usually don't plan out which park we go on which day etc. we usually go to which ever park we fell like and what if you get a single park a day ticket and you confuse your ride reservations like you go to Epcot but your reservations were for the next day and you had animal kingdom that day TWO DAYS WASTE!!!
    D23 Charter Member~Castaway Club Member~DVC Member @ Wilderness Lodge & Saratoga Springs~Pin Trader~Vinylmation Collector

"A wish is a powerful thing especially when it comes from the heart."

Finally figured out most of my travel histoy!
    2012- March- 4 nights at Wilderness Lodge then 3 nights at Bay Lake Tower
    2011- March- 5 nights at Treehouse Villas then 2 nights at Bay Lake Tower
    2010- March- 6 nights at Saratoga Springs then 1 night at Bay Lake Tower.
    2010- July- 7 nights at Saratoga Springs.
    2009- March- 9 nights at Boardwalk Villas.

2009- October- 2 nigths at Dolphin then
    Disney Wonder- 3-Night Bahamian Cruise (w/ a friend who I met on the Magic cruise)
    2008- March- Disney Magic- 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise (1st cruise ever)
    2008- November- 5 nights at Coronado Springs
    2007- March- 9 nights at Wilderness
    2007- November- 2 nights at Swan
    2006-1998 Yearly Trips sometimes two trips a year at various resorts which are the following(resort (# of times not previously stated))-
    Saratoga Springs (1), Contemporary( Tower (1), Garden Wing (2 i think)), All-Star Movies(1 night then on the another hotel), All- Star Music (1), Wilderness Lodge (Lodge (1), Villas (?)) Coronado Springs (1), Animal Kingdom Lodge (1)

FYI...it doesn't really say that you can make reservations days in advance, only in advance of being in the park. This has long been rumored that hotel guests would be able to essentially get Fastpasses from their room.

And another thought on Standby times - if this comes out of the FP pool, then I can see FP times actually improving...as I can see that these reservation passes are more likely to go unused...
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more

eeyore79 is offline Missing "HOME"

no way it would work. too many people to try to accomadate. something like that would probably crash down computers and servers.

it would take all the fun out of going to the parks and "exploring" and doing whatever you wanted to try to see. especially with kids, just like the above example, it would be a disaster.

ive worked in a venue where we have timed entry for things, and people never show up on time, are always late, so if this is an effort to try to control flow and all...it wont work.

it doesnt seem fair to me either.
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes..."

http://mydreamingcorner.blogspot.com/

Me (Jamie) - 34 DD (Kayla) - 7

TRIP REPORT AUGUST 2011 http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/showt...l=1#post972048

N.J.boy@N.C.St. is offline Fastpass Holder

I really don't think I should have to reserve my 11am ride on Splash Mountain 180 days in advance...

180 days in advance for dinner reservations is ridiculous enough...I know I do, and probably many other people do this as well, is see what ride lines are once you get to the park and plan from there...it's a terrible idea to have to reserve a ride time and be stuck to it...enough planning goes into a Disney World vacation as it is
    Follow me on twitter! http://twitter.com/NJboyatNCstate

June 1997, July 2002, August 2005, August 2006, February 2008, July 2008, August 2008, June 2009, July 2010, November 2010, July 2011

2011 Trip Report:
    Part 1: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...nto-parks.html
    Part 2: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...7-23-11-a.html
    Part 3: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...24-7-26-a.html
    Part 4: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...e-already.html

Need to remind - do not take random comments from Staggs that it would be "much in the same way dining reservations are made" as meaning it works EXACTLY how they are made. That is EXTREMELY doubtful.
    Doc

Peter's Shadow is offline B-Ticket Holder

It's hard enough to figure out 180 days out what park you will be at on what day so you can schedule dining reservations. This just adds a whole other level of complexity to planning and I generally like to plan. I can't imagine what people who don't like to plan will think of this.

Greg Pabst

twitter: @grehg
    facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gregpabst
    personal website: http://www.gregpabst.com

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by aph View Post
    Ride reservations would be HORRIBLE!!
    First comment and sums it up perfect for me!

Quote Originally Posted by 20K View Post
    Universal tried this at Jaws last summer.

It is a flawed waste.
    But that is the "new Disney". If it ain't broke fix it till it is.

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    In theory it should have zero effect.
    Theory is just an opinion until proven accurate. Meanwhile we are just randomly commenting, zero effect is an EXTREME prediction time will tell if you're correct.
    I believe the rumblings are that Shanghai will serve as a testbed.
    Just because it could work in Shanghai doesn't mean Americans will embrace it. Autograph queues are different overseas also. Duffy is a hit overseas too.

FYI...it doesn't really say that you can make reservations days in advance, only in advance of being in the park. This has long been rumored that hotel guests would be able to essentially get Fastpasses from their room.

And another thought on Standby times - if this comes out of the FP pool, then I can see FP times actually improving...as I can see that these reservation passes are more likely to go unused...
    Even if it is the day of will Disney have guests setting alarms to get favorable fastpass times? Look how guests have to dance around the 180 buzzer for ADR's. Get up late and none are left? Not my idea of fun or an improvement. Change your mind do to rain or crowds, sorry all fastpasses gone for the day. Nope, not an improvement for me 180 days out or morning of.

I do get some fastpasses but most an hour or so in advance. Hate the idea of having my day locked in before it starts.

Need to remind
    I was aware, thanks. As we all speculate all of our posts are random comments and likely extreme. But that is what makes forums interesting. Otherwise we could just read the Disney Blog and praise all things Disney. Fantasyland is the greatest example, we speculated from the get go to find out Disney didn't even have a clear direction either.

Disney of Tomorrow???: Disney can print out your room key at check in and your dining times and ride times, park days could all be printed upon your card. We can have robot vacations more stressful than Daily life.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast