Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss New change at the end of Haunted Mansion (disney finds a new way to kill the magic) in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by MartianCrab That's the new Disney way: If it 'aint broke, break it. you hit the nail on the head....
    aph
    aph is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: New change at the end of Haunted Mansion (disney finds a new way to kill the magi

Quote Originally Posted by MartianCrab View Post
    That's the new Disney way: If it 'aint broke, break it.
    you hit the nail on the head.
    July 1973- Disneyland
    Nov 2002 -off property
    Oct 2004- off property
    Oct 2006- off property
    Nov 2010- Pop Century

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Re: New change at the end of Haunted Mansion (disney finds a new way to kill the magi

That's a shame. I remember the looks on my little one's faces when the ghost was in the buggy.

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

I read an article about this the other day that said it was entirely temporary... but they weren't sure whether the mirrors were coming back, or if it was a new effect altogether that was replacing it. But for sure what is there now with the mirrors being covered up is just temporary. I'm looking and looking but I can't for the life of me find the article... hm. Hopefully it's true though!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by WDW4Ever View Post
    I'm pretty sure CMs have said it's temporary.
    CM's of authority or bus driver credibility?

Quote Originally Posted by 20K View Post
    I'm just desperately clinging onto that little piece of hearsay, Gabe!
    As I am clinging also.

Dunno if it's been on the NewsCast. I only bother with the podcasts.
    Still have not had a chance to listen to Lou's News Cast, since this happened days before his nightly newscast and was in other forums it is likely he added it in his breaking news I'd think and Lou seems to be able to confirm his stories.

Quote Originally Posted by zippitydoodah View Post
    I read an article about this the other day that said it was entirely temporary... but they weren't sure whether the mirrors were coming back, or if it was a new effect altogether that was replacing it. But for sure what is there now with the mirrors being covered up is just temporary. I'm looking and looking but I can't for the life of me find the article... hm. Hopefully it's true though!
    If it is Disney explaining the upgrade (or downgrade) I'd love to read it when you find it.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

I can't find it, but I did get this from inside the magic

"Cast members working at the Mansion say that behind the black screens, the Audio-Animatronic figures are being worked on. With this scene being a vital and memorable one to the Mansion, it’s easy to imagine that these projections are essentially animated construction walls, if you will, temporarily blocking the work going on behind them. If that is indeed their use, then they offer a wonderful alternative to simply blacking out the scene or closing the attraction while work progresses. At least guests can still enjoy the attraction and get the basic idea of the finale scene while improvements are made.

I’ve also been told, unofficially, that many interactive elements are making their way into the attraction, not only in the queue but potentially in this Hitchhiking Ghost area as well. Additional equipment may allow guests to interact with these ghosts -- or the ghosts may interact with guests! For the moment, this technology is either not fully installed or not functional.

So while it may be easy to jump to conclusions, condemning Disney for “ruining” a classic attraction, I recommend holding off any opinions on this update until it is officially complete. In the meantime, don’t expect any Hitchhiking Ghosts to climb into your Doom Buggy with you, but rather look for them to sail merrily alongside, as only happy haunts can do"

So according to that article it's temporary according to cast members, but nothing has been said "officially".

I will say that the fact that the mirrors are just covered up by some black screens makes it seem more likely that it's temporary...

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Yep, that is why many of us said way back up there in posts, we are holding out hope that the ghosts will return.

When my kids when little they really enjoyed the ending. Now if they were little and the ghosts interacted, or zapped them in the tush like Bugs does, that might have scared them. Time will tell. Still holding out hope or someone from Disney actually makes a statement about the update, i.e. Disney Blog.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

HamFam is offline A-Ticket holder

The original ending is a classic. It has to be one of the top 3 most memorable parts of the attraction for guests. My kids are real little now but I can't wait to see their faces in the mirror the first time I bring them on it if and when they restore it. Seems a waste of imagineer brain power that could be used elsewhere in the park.

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I wouldn't panic just yet. Pretty sure Lou said it's still not finished.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

InStitches is offline Fastpass Holder
    Georgia, but wishing I were on the "Loveliest Village on the Plains!"

NO! NO! This is the one thing I couldn't stop talking about as a kid after riding it for the first time. My husband and I now always "play games" with the ghost. It's one of the best parts.

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse

I'll reserve judgement, but I sincerely hope the Imagineers have somehting better in mind
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust

In this push towards "interactivity" in the parks, I would hope that it has occurred to SOMEONE in authority that the concept of having a ghost sit beside you is about as interactive as you can get, with the additional imagination kick of only being able to see the ghosts in the mirror but not beside you.
    Last edited by 20K; 02-26-2011 at 08:45 AM.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by 20K View Post
    I would hope that it has occurred to SOMEONE in authority that the concept of having a ghost sit beside you is about as interactive as you can get,
    I had this idea at the back of my mind but couldn't articulate it....well done! The HM was the first interactive ride they ever made.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust

I highlighted "concept" because, like nova, I think the actual mirror effect is in need of an update. But the important point is the word "update", not "outright replacement".

But yes, how can any Disney attraction not be interactive? The very basic structure of the whole enterprise is that we are the characters in animation, with the Imagineers taking up the background art remit.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

Passarino6 is offline Dreaming of Something Disney!

I don't even remember seeing anything about there being a refurb? Anyone know when this is going to be completed? I am going to WDW in September and I hope they have all of this straight by then.
    -Kevin

If we can dream it, we can do it.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast