Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Grad Night Goes Bye-Bye in the News & Rumors forums; Disney Blog For many years, we’ve been thrilled to host high school graduation celebrations at Walt Disney World known as Grad Nite. And I know many Disney Parks Blog readers ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Unhappy Grad Night Goes Bye-Bye

Disney Blog

For many years, we’ve been thrilled to host high school graduation celebrations at Walt Disney World known as Grad Nite. And I know many Disney Parks Blog readers (like myself) have been part of the tradition – it’s become a rite of passage for seniors. That’s why today we wanted to share an important update; we will no longer be hosting Disney Grad Nite at the Walt Disney World Resort after this year’s event. With more leisure guests visiting in the springtime, it’s become challenging to schedule special events during April and May. Instead, graduates will have new opportunities to celebrate with us in the parks at more flexible and convenient times.
    We’ve recently seen more and more students visiting Walt Disney World as part of a broader senior class trip. And activities such as youth sports competitions, performing arts programs, including performances, workshops and festivals, and educational programs now give teens chances to experience Walt Disney World virtually any time of the year. Through special pricing, we’ll be offering students the flexibility to visit and celebrate their achievements here at the parks when they want to. In Florida, school groups can continue the tradition with a special one-day, one-park ticket for $55 valid anytime of the year. Also, Disney Youth Programs can arrange customized experiences.
    Disney Grad Nite 2011 at Walt Disney World (and Disneyland Resort) will be held as planned during the dates Tim shared with you last month. And Grad Nite at Disneyland Resort will continue as normal – there are no plans to change the existing offering at the resort. Please stay tuned to the Blog for the most up-to-date information.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust

Re: Grad Night Goes Bye-Bye

So no more nights of "questionable activities" on Doombuggies and Pirates boats?

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

No skin off my back. And not just because I don't live in Florida. I never liked the concept of Grad Night. The last thing I would want to be around in Disney World or Disneyland is a bunch of punk teenagers that just graduated.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

I found Disney to be very disingenuous with their comments above.

Their attendance is still down. This is an "off season". Disney is able to still have their Christmas Parties and Halloween Parties and close the MK early but now, not for the Grad Night. It was a nice perk for the FL residents.

It will not be the same for students to go separately and create their own Grad Day and who knows how long Disney will keep those prices for the Grads or offer it in the future.

It is my impression that Grad Nights were for Grads only and prior to Graduation so the Schools Code of Conduct was still in force. The same reason most schools have proms prior to the actual graduation. Likely most of the students are not punks. We do Six Flags and have little to no issues annually.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

bater8slater is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by WDW4Ever View Post
    No skin off my back. And not just because I don't live in Florida. I never liked the concept of Grad Night. The last thing I would want to be around in Disney World or Disneyland is a bunch of punk teenagers that just graduated.
    Way to be stereotypical..

wallfan329 is offline Working on becoming a Disney CPer

This kind of disappoints me because I kind of wanted to partake in Grad Nights.
    Mckayla
    My Disney College Program blog...everything from KSU life to getting ready for Spring 2015
    ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫
    2001(PO),2003(BC and DCL Magic),2004(ASM),2005(Poly and DCL Magic),2006(HH & OKW),2007(SSR),2009(WL),2010(BW,Pop and Vero),2011(OKW),2012(AKL & OKW),2012(Pop, Reunion),2013(Band Trip/Birthday Trip...AoA/Off Property),2014(OKW,Pop and DCL Dream)
    ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

bater8slater is offline Annual Passholder

I doubt I would have ever done this, but it still ****s that some teenagers set a bad rep for the good ones
    Last edited by bater8slater; 03-15-2011 at 01:33 AM.

Cortini is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by wallfan329 View Post
    This kind of disappoints me because I kind of wanted to partake in Grad Nights.
    Same here but i knew even if it continued I probly couldn't go.....live in OK and go to a poor school.
    D23 Charter Member~Castaway Club Member~DVC Member @ Wilderness Lodge & Saratoga Springs~Pin Trader~Vinylmation Collector

"A wish is a powerful thing especially when it comes from the heart."

Finally figured out most of my travel histoy!
    2012- March- 4 nights at Wilderness Lodge then 3 nights at Bay Lake Tower
    2011- March- 5 nights at Treehouse Villas then 2 nights at Bay Lake Tower
    2010- March- 6 nights at Saratoga Springs then 1 night at Bay Lake Tower.
    2010- July- 7 nights at Saratoga Springs.
    2009- March- 9 nights at Boardwalk Villas.

2009- October- 2 nigths at Dolphin then
    Disney Wonder- 3-Night Bahamian Cruise (w/ a friend who I met on the Magic cruise)
    2008- March- Disney Magic- 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise (1st cruise ever)
    2008- November- 5 nights at Coronado Springs
    2007- March- 9 nights at Wilderness
    2007- November- 2 nights at Swan
    2006-1998 Yearly Trips sometimes two trips a year at various resorts which are the following(resort (# of times not previously stated))-
    Saratoga Springs (1), Contemporary( Tower (1), Garden Wing (2 i think)), All-Star Movies(1 night then on the another hotel), All- Star Music (1), Wilderness Lodge (Lodge (1), Villas (?)) Coronado Springs (1), Animal Kingdom Lodge (1)

N.J.boy@N.C.St. is offline Fastpass Holder

The Grad Nite was for Florida residents...so all of y'all (including me; I graduated high school last June) would never have even gotten the chance to experience it because we are from out-of-state

Secondly...it's funny because Universal has the rep for entertaining the local teenagers so they could get their fix of thrill rides. Disney World really is the ultimate vacation destination, in many aspects, and for many reasons. All four theme parks are in the top 8 most attended theme parks in the world (with MK by far being #1 on the list). You could make the argument that a few bad-eggs ruin the fun for the whole batch...but it is a day in Disney World that will be no more for high school grads in FL. Kind of a shame to see this happen, though...
    Follow me on twitter! http://twitter.com/NJboyatNCstate

June 1997, July 2002, August 2005, August 2006, February 2008, July 2008, August 2008, June 2009, July 2010, November 2010, July 2011

2011 Trip Report:
    Part 1: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...nto-parks.html
    Part 2: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...7-23-11-a.html
    Part 3: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...24-7-26-a.html
    Part 4: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...e-already.html

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Really doesn't affect us, but nice for those visiting not to be booted out of the park early. Last year, we visited DLR and found out it was grad night with our early departure. Didn't bother us to leave early after a full day, but I could see it being annoying to those making a once in a lifetime visit to WDW.

N.J.boy@N.C.St. is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    Really doesn't affect us, but nice for those visiting not to be booted out of the park early. Last year, we visited DLR and found out it was grad night with our early departure. Didn't bother us to leave early after a full day, but I could see it being annoying to those making a once in a lifetime visit to WDW.
    Definitely...it's a double-edged sword. You got the Disney World pros, then you got those who go once every ten years (or even less) and many coming from over seas who rarely get to experience it. It's tough to tell who's in the right or who's in the wrong in the situation...I guess Disney figured it was for the better.
    Follow me on twitter! http://twitter.com/NJboyatNCstate

June 1997, July 2002, August 2005, August 2006, February 2008, July 2008, August 2008, June 2009, July 2010, November 2010, July 2011

2011 Trip Report:
    Part 1: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...nto-parks.html
    Part 2: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...7-23-11-a.html
    Part 3: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...24-7-26-a.html
    Part 4: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...e-already.html

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by N.J.boy@N.C.St. View Post
    Definitely...it's a double-edged sword. You got the Disney World pros, then you got those who go once every ten years (or even less) and many coming from over seas who rarely get to experience it. It's tough to tell who's in the right or who's in the wrong in the situation...I guess Disney figured it was for the better.
    Another time honored tradition gone, started in 1961 in Disneyland. Generally from 8pm to 2 am on a couple of dates.

Disney is still continuing to close parks early for Halloween and Christmas Parties, on so many days from September until December. The difference I guess is the Guests can choose to purchase a second admission ticket for that day to stay in the park.

No doubt Disney figured it was for the better.

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

I experienced Grad Night in 1985. I still have the brochure around somewhere. It's sad my kids won't get to experience this. I would bet Disney is doing this because it believes it can make more money by cancelling this tradition. Yet another sign of how Disney is evolving into something worse.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

I noticed there isn't many that care on here being it is/was a Florida perk.

The Orlando Sentinel on the other hand....opened a new page for all the comments to Disney, seems the Floridians are not pleased. I noticed the hours were very late. 10pm to 4pm. How does that interfere with the tourists at that time of the year. There were six dates and not the EMH's.

Now Disney looks more disingenuous than they did before.