Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss PM EMH Monorail News in the News & Rumors forums; I have noticed, over the past two years, more maintenance problems with the monorail system - over heating, brake issues, doors not closing, etc. Those extended hours up to 3am, ...
    Prince Charming is offline B-Ticket Holder

Monorail News

I have noticed, over the past two years, more maintenance problems with the monorail system - over heating, brake issues, doors not closing, etc. Those extended hours up to 3am, during the summer months, must really put a strain on the entire system this time of year. From reading that article and my own experiences, I believe their statement on this being a maintenance issue, rather than a hidden cost cutting objective as some have spectulated. I hope this is not a permanent change, because it does detract from staying on the resort loop and paying that premium price.

Also, I question the need to even keep a park open that late. Are they creating more infrastructure problems with the attractions, buses, staffing, etc. by keeping a park open between 1-3am for several months out of the year?

Welcome to the Magic Kingdom!

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: PM EMH Monorail News

When we stayed a week at the Poly last year the breakdowns on the monorail line were legion. It was almost to the point of embarrassing. I hope they finally got things under control once we left, because that's when the Memorial Day weekend crowd was just getting cranked up.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I was trying to get over to Epcot from the TTC. I was waiting for the bus at Wilderness, which never showed up, so I decided to take a walk over to the TTC and jump on the monorail. While I was walking past the guard gate, buses started coming in, though I don't know if they were going to Epcot. Got to the platform, and the monorail was down. They never announced anything, but there was quite a bit of chatter going on over the walkie-talkies. Whenever we asked, they would always just tell us, "soon". When there is nothing to do but stand around on that platform waiting, it really does get rather boring. Good thing I had a novel stuffed in my back pocket.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    I was trying to get over to Epcot from the TTC. I was waiting for the bus at Wilderness, which never showed up, so I decided to take a walk over to the TTC and jump on the monorail. While I was walking past the guard gate, buses started coming in, though I don't know if they were going to Epcot. Got to the platform, and the monorail was down. They never announced anything, but there was quite a bit of chatter going on over the walkie-talkies. Whenever we asked, they would always just tell us, "soon". When there is nothing to do but stand around on that platform waiting, it really does get rather boring. Good thing I had a novel stuffed in my back pocket.
    that is what seems to bother me the most... waiting for buses and monorails... i wonder how much time we lose a trip waiting for the buses and monorails...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

That's one of the things that makes park hopping somewhat problematic.

I'll tell you, Joe. I rent a car every time I'm down there, and I kick myself for not using it more. Sometimes I'll turn it in on the day before I'm heading back, then take the Magical Express back the next day. I did that one time, and wished I had the car because ther were wasn't a bus in site on the night I was going to the Christmas party. And the trip from Saratoga Springs is long enough!
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

But overall, I don't see how the monorails leaving the park an hour after they close affects anyone, unless I'm just dense. Most of the place is closed up by then, restaurants are shut down, so the only thing open are the shops on Main Street. And you had all day to get something there. Plus, the same exact merchandise is anywhere and everywhere else, including at your resort and at Downtown Disney. Stay until nearly the end of Wishes (let's face it, you've seen it a hundred times before, folks), and play "beat the crowds" out. Even at an hour after the park closes, why are you still there??????

Supernova,

The closure of the monorail system one hour after the "regular" closing time will be a factor for evening, extra magic hours only. I think you misread topic line.

I believe it will be a much bigger problem at MK, verses Epcot, without the Express Monorail running to the TTC.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    I'll tell you, Joe. I rent a car every time I'm down there, and I kick myself for not using it more. Sometimes I'll turn it in on the day before I'm heading back, then take the Magical Express back the next day. I did that one time, and wished I had the car because ther were wasn't a bus in site on the night I was going to the Christmas party. And the trip from Saratoga Springs is long enough!
    Mike, I'm actually renting a car this time around... We are staying at OKW and I heard that renting a car is really the only way... I'm gonna try to limit my waiting... Last year when I stayed at WL it was a pain going to certain parks... I think MGM was a pain because our bus also stopped at either Poly or GF... I can't remember...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Charming View Post
    Supernova,

The closure of the monorail system one hour after the "regular" closing time will be a factor for evening, extra magic hours only. I think you misread topic line.

I believe it will be a much bigger problem at MK, verses Epcot, without the Express Monorail running to the TTC.
    Ok... However... If you are at EMH you are a Disney resort guest right...? Unless you are driving to MK and Parking at the TTC it shouldn't be an issue... EMH people generally take the bus transportation to and from their resorts anyway...
    Last edited by JNota0005DakMC; 07-17-2011 at 11:22 PM.
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

PM EMH Monorail News

Other guests can remain in the park, but per the rules they cannot ride any of the attractions. The shops and some of the food locations do remain open, during EMH.

Also, there are over 20 Disney resorts and a couple of non Disney resorts in the Downtown district that are eligible for EMH so in the summer months, for example, when MK is open up to 3am that is the only "game" in town and it does get full. People try and find the quickest way out and the monorail helps alleviate the traffic flow. The TTC is a hub so connections are available to multiple locations and guests will use it. It will take a lot more buses to make up for a monorail train: monorails hold over 300 people and one bus holds what about 50 guests.

I think Disney is taking a stand against having non Disney resort guests in a park during EMH... I understand that the TTC is a hub... But keep in mind that a majority of the people in the parks during EMH are Disney resort guests, and many (maybe even majority) took a bus to get there... Remember how crowded those buses get at EMH... I'm not defending them... Merely trying to make sense of the action...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

By the way... Any news on the ferries... Will this include them...?
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Monorail News

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Charming View Post

Also, I question the need to even keep a park open that late. Are they creating more infrastructure problems with the attractions, buses, staffing, etc. by keeping a park open between 1-3am for several months out of the year?
    We did the MK EMH 2 times when we were there over Thanksgiving. The crowds were just nutty. MK stayed open until 3am and we made it until 2am before we left. It was still crowded but not nutty. It gave us the opportunity to enjoy the park without hours of waiting in some lines.

Down side? I was traveling with out DH and with my teenage daughter.
    It was rather creepity getting off the bus and walking to the Mansions at POR. Not a soul around. We got off the bus at the lobby and stayed forward of the river as long as we could.

I hope they are addressing some of issues with the monorail. Since they just built on DVC and another going up at the Floridian, they need it to service those hotels 'cause there bus service is notorious for being awful.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by JNota0005DakMC View Post
    By the way... Any news on the ferries... Will this include them...?
    The ferries and launches are supposed to operate in place of the monorail. However, there are inclement weather restrictions on them.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast