Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss PM EMH Monorail News in the News & Rumors forums; From WDW Magic: Beginning on July 11 2011, the Epcot monorail service will stop operation 1 hour after regular park closing , and from August 1 2011, the Magic Kingdom ...
    BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Exclamation PM EMH Monorail News

From WDW Magic:

Beginning on July 11 2011, the Epcot monorail service will stop operation 1 hour after regular park closing, and from August 1 2011, the Magic Kingdom monorail will stop operation 1 hour after regular park closing. This means that in both cases, the monorail will not be able to return guests back to their resorts after evening Extra Magic Hours. Guests will instead be transported by bus and boats where available. Morning Extra Magic Hour service has not been affected. All indications are that this is a permanent change.

Walt Disney World Monorail System news - Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Re: PM EMH Monorail News

I'm kind of shocked by this... the busses will be nutty!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Wow, very bad idea, IMO. I can't imagine how the buses will be able to pick up that slack. The wait for the monorail at the MK can be long and brutal. Now they're going to re-route all of those folks to the bus terminal?!

Seems like a near historically bad decision. And anybody who's been there at that time of night, where the crowd is backed up to before you even walk under the monorail tracks, would surely concur.

I wouldn't even bother with EMH at the MK unless I was staying at the Contemporary and could simply walk back to my resort.

They'll do this, but they won't finish the walking path that would funnel more guests out to the Grand Floridian and Polynesian...

PAdisneygirl is offline B-Ticket Holder

I agree with folks who are upset with this because of financial reasons, but the main thing it comes down to for me is "Classic" Disney World. The Monorail is synonymous with WDW and is something that should never be cut. It represents the resort's past and present and is a classic part of any vacation memory. The sentimentalist in me is so sad, even if it is only a cut of a few hours here and there.

gooftroop is offline C-Ticket Holder

We called Disney the Monorail get replaces every 2 to 3 yrs. It is not shut down permanently but only at night to replace the tracks. They are going to start the project August 1 and will end to weeks later. They will have double the buses and fairies.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Internal memos to the CMs call this permanent. This is more like an "operational change" as opposed to a maintenance refurb. They are NOT saying this is a two week project.

Also, they don't replace the monorail every 2 to 3 years. The current trains are at 22 years for the oldest, and they replaced the previous ones at 18-20 years of age - and there hasn't been any word of them putting out RFPs for replacement yet. So maybe you meant 20-30 years.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

CM's are sometimes the worst disseminators of information.

From multiple sources that are normally right on it seems to be a maintenance issue.

I'd be surprised is Disney deliberately lied to the Orlando Sentinel. I'd also be surprise if Disney permanently cut down on the hours of the monorail. Between the DVC's they are building there and high end hotels, likely not going to happen.

I could understand if they are indeed going to expand the system and upgrade, but that again would be a temp situation. Have a feeling many are going to be speculating or claiming to be in the know.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-d...,1288947.story
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Billwht3 is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by gooftroop View Post
    ..........They will have double the buses and fairies.
    <<< if they had fairies to get back to the hotels they could stop the monorails all together! >>> Sign of a true DW fanatic! (I'm with ya Goof!)

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

I sure hope it is not permanent. Seems a shame to see these cuts the past few years while prices on everything are increasing.

WDW1014 is offline Fastpass Holder

just did this a couple of months ago i stayed at mk till 2 am and the lines were insane for getting back to the Polynesian. took a good half hr or more . This is a very stupid decision by disney
    Visits:
    91= Grand Floridan 01= All Star Sports 11= Music
    92= Grand Floridan 02= All Star Movies 12= Movies
    93= Caribbean Beach 03= Old Key West 13= Sports
    94= All Star Sports 04= Pop Century
    95= French Quarter 05= Pop Century
    96= Dixie Landing 06= Grand Floridan
    97= All Star Music 07= All Star Sports
    98= All Star Sports 08= Pop Century
    99= All Star Movies 09= All Star Sports
    00= All Star Music 10= All Star Music

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by gooftroop View Post
    We called Disney the Monorail get replaces every 2 to 3 yrs. It is not shut down permanently but only at night to replace the tracks. They are going to start the project August 1 and will end to weeks later. They will have double the buses and fairies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Billwht3 View Post
    <<< if they had fairies to get back to the hotels they could stop the monorails all together! >>> Sign of a true DW fanatic! (I'm with ya Goof!)
    You're both crazy. Why would you want to replace monorails with fairies? What good is Tinkerbell going to be in clearing out the park?
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    You're both crazy. Why would you want to replace monorails with fairies? What good is Tinkerbell going to be in clearing out the park?
    Well, we just need a little pixie dust, and then we can all fly ourselves...second resort to the right, and straight on until morning!
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator

gooftroop is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Billwht3 View Post

You caught it!

Wonder if this has anything to do with the construction walls that have gone up around the Grand Floridian...

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    Wonder if this has anything to do with the construction walls that have gone up around the Grand Floridian...
    There has been a fair amount of speculation on another board about it...but in general resort work happens during the day, not night, and Disney didn't mention construction, only maintenance...not even sure they are acknowledging the construction though, much like they didn't acknowledge BLT for the longest time...
    Doc

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast