Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss XPass - You may never tour Walt Disney World the same way again ... in the News & Rumors forums; Can't make my mind up about this - I'm all for organising in advance, but is this going a little too far? That said, I would be interested to try ...
    missbounce is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: XPass - You may never tour Walt Disney World the same way again ...

Can't make my mind up about this - I'm all for organising in advance, but is this going a little too far? That said, I would be interested to try it out for myself, so that I could make a more informed decision. I guess it would be nice to have your fave rides 'guarenteed' in advance, so you can ensure no disappointments on your trip (especially for people who only get out to the parks once in a blue moon).
    Cara
    @MissBounceUK

*** PROUD CHARTER-DAY GOLD MEMBER OF D23! ***
    ***DISNEYLAND ANNUAL PASSHOLDER***

MY DISNEY TRIPS:
    October 2012 - Walt Disney World (Coronado Springs) Halloween, Food and Wine, Christmas Season ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2012 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: 75 Years of Disney Animation ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2011 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Expo
    May 2011 - Walt Disney World (All Star Sports) D23 Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary
    November 2010 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Bonfire Night Celebrations and Halloween Season
    September 2010 - Disneyland California (Disneyland Hotel and Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: Disneyland 55th Anniversary
    February 2010 - Walt Disney World (All Star Music and Polynesian Resort)
    May 2009 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Mickey's Magical Party
    October 2008 - Walt Disney World (All Star Movies, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian Resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge) Halloween and Food and Wine
    January 2008 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Christmas Season
    June 2007 - Disneyland Paris (Newport Bay Club) Disneyland Paris 15th Anniversary Celebrations
    January 2006 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Christmas Season
    September 2004 - Walt Disney World (Pop Century) Honeymoon

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

I agree... I think it is too far... I wonder how this will all work out...?
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I'm on vacation. I don't care to be following a d@mn itinerary to know what time I'm scheduled to see Philharmagic. Enough already.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Me either... So long as there is a place to eat and an attraction to ride I'm good...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!

mickeytoo is offline Imagineer in heart and soul...!

It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out over time.
    We tend to do some planning, like ADRs, and what Park on what day, usually based on EMH.
    But, I can see the uber-planners eatin' this up.
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
    ~ you know who

prickle is offline Fastpass Holder

Hurry Jr. swallow that burger down, we have to hurry over to spacemountain, because it says so!!!!! llololololol Not for me, while Jr is finishing his food, I am people watching, and talking with the family about what we do next.

That's my thing... I don't want over planning to ever creep into my vacation... Last time I checked I'm on vacation... I'd like to have less stress... Not more...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

TXTaylors5 is offline Fastpass Holder

UPDATE:
    As reported by the Orlando Sentinel . . . First Phase of Disney's Art of Animation resort will open with the rumored new technology!!!!

By Jason Garcia, Orlando Sentinel

What may be the most interesting feature in Disney's Art of Animation Resort can be found in the most mundane of places: the doors.

All of the hotel rooms in Walt Disney World's new, $350 million hotel, whose first phase opens Thursday, will be keyless. Instead of inserting room cards into a slot, guests will merely have to hold the cards within a few inches of an electronic reader to unlock their doors.

Those doors, which use a technology known as "radio-frequency identification," are one of the first widespread applications to emerge from Disney's secretive "Next Generation Experience" initiative, a sweeping technological upgrade that Disney engineers have been developing for years.

Scores of additional features, many expanding on the same RFID technology, will surface throughout the giant resort in coming months and years. Disney has already tested turnstile-free entry gates in Epcot and advance ride reservations in the Magic Kingdom. Much more is in development.

"This is a signal that we are sending to our guests, in a very direct way, that we are positively making changes here to enhance the guest experience," Kevin Myers, Disney World's vice president of resort operations, said of Art of Animation's easy-entry rooms.

Disney is wagering much on "NextGen," which company executives think will help wring more capacity out of crowded theme parks, make the resort more appealing to increasingly tech-savvy travelers, and open new avenues for sales of food and souvenirs.The Walt Disney Co.has so far budgeted about $1 billion for the initiative.

That's about as much as the company has spent on its five-year rebuild of Disney California Adventure in Anaheim, Calif., which culminates next month with the opening of a new, 12-acre area with a theme based on the Pixar film franchise "Cars."

The keyless hotel-room doors are just one small component of the project. But while they may seem a trivial addition, Disney says those small details can add up — both for guests and the company.

Disney expects the lock system will provide more convenience for travelers. No longer, for instance, will a parent juggling young children and luggage have to fumble at the door to properly align the card key. No longer will a guest wishing to change rooms have to trudge back to the front desk — a commute that can take 10 minutes or more in some of Disney's larger hotels — because the cards can be reprogrammed by remote control.

From the hotel's perspective, the new card readers, which are sealed in small black boxes, are sturdier than the opened-ended magnetic slots, which are vulnerable to moisture, dust and other contaminants that cause them to fail. Myers said Disney has already seen improved reliability on its two new cruise ships, the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy, which also use the keyless system.

While Disney isn't the first hotel owner to use keyless doors, what makes these significant is how they will eventually tie into other NextGen tools. Although Disney has discussed few details publicly, it is expected that guests will eventually be asked to provide all manner of personal preferences ahead of their vacations — from preferred ride times and favorite characters to food allergies — that will be stored on the RFID-equipped cards and will trigger various actions when the guests visit the vast resort.

Disney has set an aggressive schedule to retrofit all of its existing hotels with the keyless locks — approximately 26,000 hotel rooms and time-share suites in all. Myers said he expects installation to begin in June with Disney's Contemporary Resort and to be complete at all Disney World properties by the end of next year.
    Jennifer Bill (DisneyTaylors) Will (12) Emily (10) Cole (7)
    2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH(DLR), POR, SSR, BWV, POFQ; 2010: BWV (2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) ~ DCL(Wonder); 2011: BCV, AKV (2xs) ~ MNSSHP ~ MVMCP ~ F&W ~ DCL(Dream); 2012: BWV, AKV, BLT ~ F&W ~ MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy);
    Upcoming Disney Trips:
    2013:04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ Flower and Garden Festival & Expedition Everest Challenge, 12/VGC (DLR)
    2014: 06/DCL ~ Alaska (Wonder), 10/DCL ~ Southern Caribbean (Magic)

"Sparkly"

What do y'all think of the new technology at Disney's Art of Animation resort? Personally, I think it is cool and . . . about time!
    2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH(DLR), POR, SSR, BWV, POFQ; 2010: BWV (2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) ~ DCL(Wonder); 2011: BCV, AKV (2xs) ~ MNSSHP ~ MVMCP ~ F&W ~ DCL(Dream); 2012: BWV, AKV, BLT ~ F&W ~ MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy);
    Upcoming Disney Trips:
    2013:04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ Flower and Garden Festival & Expedition Everest Challenge, 12/VGC (DLR)

"Sparkly"

SinisterEars is offline A-Ticket holder

I don't know what anyone is complaining about. With or without the Fast Pass, no one is in my way at WDW. I've been able to walk up and onto every single ride I've ever wanted to get on. The most I've ever waited for a "popular" ride is 10 minutes for the past TWO MONTHS. I selected to wait just to people watch. You have to wait in at least one line to take in the WDW experience. I like to hear what people are complaining about or talking about amongst each other. I do not find anything at WDW a bother. I just don't get the complaints. The MK and Epcot are the least problematic to begin with. Fast Pass thrown into the mix has only made things easier. I dine as I please, I come and go as I please. I'm happy. The people complaining would have to be uptight to begin with. If you're planning a vacation in the "Happiest Place On Earth" you're going to be A) Surrounded By TONS of people and B) Practicing patience. I know this going in...yet I've NEVER EVER had a problem. I read some of the posts and go, huh? It's like we aren't talking about the same place at all. Fast Pass has kept everyone out of each others way. It's helping me to have the BEST time ever!!! Thanks, Disney! Sorry the rest of you are having such a trying time at the parks. I'll continue to read and try to understand your point of view. Even if I had Brangelina's brood tagging along with me, I'd be having no issues getting us into anywhere.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Quote Originally Posted by TXTaylors5 View Post
    What do y'all think of the new technology at Disney's Art of Animation resort? Personally, I think it is cool and . . . about time!
    Of all the features I've heard may (or may not be) coming with XPass, this is one of the coolest. Coming back from a long day at the parks normally means carrying my DS (who is asleep) along with bags of stuff and a stroller etc. so not having to then fish out our key card and one-hand it into the slot, turning the handle with that same hand just before it goes back to 'red' (never easy) would be lovely. Would rock if I could literally just have it in my pocket and bump my hip toward it to get in!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Some of the tech is cool... But we know if given the opportunity many people will jump at the idea of planning their entire vacation... And then complain when they get home that they. We'd a vacation from their vacation...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by the7thAve View Post
    I honestly can't see this happening any time soon.
    It's already happening and in beta testing at WDW right now!!!
    Upcoming Disney Trips:

"Sparkly"

mickeytoo is offline Imagineer in heart and soul...!

Quote Originally Posted by TXTaylors5 View Post
    We stayed at AoA on our trip July 10th-17th.
    It was cool (the resort AND the tech), and we liked it!
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
    ~ you know who

Konaking is offline A-Ticket holder

Uggh, I think this is going to end up like ADRs where people overbook, and no real FastPassers are able to get the tickets. In theory it sounds like a great idea, but maybe there needs to be a little "in-park" reminder, where you get a text or an email asking to confirm your "FastPass Reservation". Maybe if it's ignored, a second wave is issued, and then termination of the reservation, so that "walk-ins" might become available on a first come, first serve basis. I dunno, just my thoughts.
    We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children.

Free Disney vacations for all forum members?

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910