Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Change to WDW MYW ticket upgrade policy in the News & Rumors forums; There is a slight change to the WDW MYW ticket upgrade policy coming Wednesday, August 3rd, per a Ticketing CM friend of mine. Previously, you could upgrade any MYW ticket ...
    doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Change to WDW MYW ticket upgrade policy

There is a slight change to the WDW MYW ticket upgrade policy coming Wednesday, August 3rd, per a Ticketing CM friend of mine.

Previously, you could upgrade any MYW ticket to add features, days or to a different class of ticket like an AP, within 14 days of first use, even if you had used up all the days already.

Now, you have to do the upgrade while there are still valid days on the tickets.

He's trying to get more on the final details of this change, such as can you upgrade after using the last day on the same day (likely, but warrants clarification), upgrading used water park+MYW to MYW+WPFM, etc. and should find out more Wednesday.

This change might be likely due to the apparent second-hand ticket sellers that buy used up tickets cheap, get days added and then try and re-sell them to unsuspecting guests as new tickets that may or may not work.
    Last edited by doconeill; 07-31-2011 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Correcting day/date
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

Re: Change to WDW MYW ticket upgrade policy

i know this is off topic.. but i'm thinking of changing my one park a day ticket to the hopper when i get there.. i wonder how much trouble that'll be
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy&Tayen View Post
    i know this is off topic.. but i'm thinking of changing my one park a day ticket to the hopper when i get there.. i wonder how much trouble that'll be
    It shouldn't trouble at all, although like I said I'm waiting for some clarification on some things.

Assuming you already have the ticket...

If you add park hopping before you've used the ticket, you'll need to pay the price difference in the price the ticket was sold for by Disney and the current gate price of a 1-day hopper. This means if you got the ticket through a reseller (not likely - Disney doesn't even sell them to discounters at a lower rate) the credit could be less than what you actually paid.

If you use it once first, then you are supposed to get credit for the current gate price, so you'd only be paying for the park hopping option (currently $55+tax).

We're just waiting for clarification that day that you use the last/only day on the ticket is still valid for doing an upgrade (there would be all sorts of issues if it is otherwise)
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars

Yeah the reseller thing is a real big issue for WDW. Wish there was an easier way around it for both Disney and the Guest.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

No problem Chrissy; you can make the change at guest relations. We have added days in the past with no problem. Just so you know, the upgrade cost to your ticket from Base to PH will be the same no matter how many days are left on the ticket. You might as well do it right away to take full advantage of the PH cost. There is no pro-rate PH fee.

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

so its $55 per ticket does that matter if its a kid or a adult?
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

Nope, $55 per ticket either way. Cheaper than another 1-day ticket though.

Did get a little more information this morning - you can upgrade the SAME DAY you use your last entitlement (technically the ticket is still valid through the end of the day on the last day used). This includes WPFM options - even if all the major park days are used up, if there are still options you can still upgrade.
    Doc

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Back to the original topic, I don't see a problem with this. Otherwise, you could take any old ticket you find that expired, call them up and ask them to change the ticket. Smart move on Disney's part.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Back to the original topic, I don't see a problem with this. Otherwise, you could take any old ticket you find that expired, call them up and ask them to change the ticket. Smart move on Disney's part.
    No, you couldn't quite do that before. You only had 14 days starting with the day you first used the ticket in which to upgrade it. So if I had a 5-day ticket, used it on the 1st of the month and each consecutive day after that until I used all the 5-days on the 5th, I could still upgrade the ticket anytime up to and including the 14th. And it didn't matter if it had the No Expire option on it - after 14 days you cannot modify the ticket (MYW tickets specifically - certain other tickets have other rules).

I couldn't take a ticket I used last year and add days to it.

The change here is that you still have 14 days, as long as there are still valid entitlements on it. So in my example, I can still add days, etc. on the 5th, but not the 6th. Of course, if I add a day on the 5th so now I have a 6th day, I can then do further upgrades on the 6th.
    Doc

And I'm sure you'll still have to upgrade the full ticket? I remember a friend seeking to add a no-expiration option to her ticket and they wouldn't let her do it on the remaining three days. She had to pay for the full seven days, which is only fair.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    And I'm sure you'll still have to upgrade the full ticket? I remember a friend seeking to add a no-expiration option to her ticket and they wouldn't let her do it on the remaining three days. She had to pay for the full seven days, which is only fair.
    Yes, that has always been the case. Upgrade costs are based on what the ticket is, not what remains. Think of it as paying for the ticket you should have gotten in the first place...
    Doc

Precisely. And as we have all come to know with Disney, there are NO shortcuts.

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    Nope, $55 per ticket either way. Cheaper than another 1-day ticket though.

Did get a little more information this morning - you can upgrade the SAME DAY you use your last entitlement (technically the ticket is still valid through the end of the day on the last day used). This includes WPFM options - even if all the major park days are used up, if there are still options you can still upgrade.
    I needed to correct myself...I totally spaced that on the last price increase in June, they changes the cost of adding park hopping to a 1-day ticket to be only $35!!!! It's still same for adult or child, but now it is cheaper!

Note that if you have a 1-day PH, and then want to add another day, you also have to pay the additional $20 to extend the park hopping...and you are probably not given an option to not extend it. If you only wanted one more non-park hopper day, it would be cheaper to just get a 1-day ticket in that case.
    Doc

OK, did get confirmation on some things.

This ONLY applies to non-FL Resident MYW tickets. FL Residents still have the full 14 days - or more for certain tickets.

You must perform any upgrades by the LAST DAY you use any of the entitlements - either a major park day or a WPFM option (as expected). For a 1-day ticket, it must be done on the day of use.

CMs do still have options under Guest Recovery for case-by-case situations.
    Doc