Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Now this scares the cajebers out of me! in the News & Rumors forums; Well they released the OSHA report after the 2nd Death of a Cast Member on Primemal Whirl. The Official Disney sight said the PW would re-open on the 14th of ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Unhappy Now this scares the cajebers out of me!

Well they released the OSHA report after the 2nd Death of a Cast Member on Primemal Whirl. The Official Disney sight said the PW would re-open on the 14th of September on the 17th of September, still is not. Could have been stalled due to the OSHA report coming out.

It so reminds me of the Monorail accident where another Cast Member lost his life. This is what was posted on MousePlanet.com Weekly Update today.

Walt Disney World Resort Update

Monday, September 19, 2011
    Mark Goldhaber

OSHA cites Walt Disney World for 4 violations, issues $69,000 in penalties in Primeval Whirl death

In a notice issued September 9, the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Adminstration cited Walt Disney World for four items and issued a total of $69,000 in fines in relation to the March 13 incident at the Primeval Whirl "wild mouse"-style roller coaster at Disney's Animal Kingdom that resulted in the death of 52-year-old construction worker Russell Roscoe.

The first two items were categorized as "Serious" and carried penalties of $7,000 each. The first noted that Disney exposed workers to a "struck-by hazard" because Disney did not maintain gate sensors that would alert workers that they could be hit by the coaster and that they should activate the Manual Emergency Stop. The second noted that "the use of fall protection was not enforced, on or about 03/13/2011, when employees were required to kneel on the roller coaster tracks to conduct pressure checks and adjustments during wet testing operations," which exposed workers to fall hazards of heights ranging from 15 feet 9 inches to 24 inches.
    One item was cited as a "Repeat," and carried a hefty fine of $55,000. This violation was due to "Open sided floor(s) or platform(s) 4 feet or more above the adjacent floor or ground level were not guarded by standard railings…" During wet testing, employees had to spray water from the top lift platform, and there were no guardrails instaled there, exposing workers to a more-than-38-foot fall. Since Disney has been cited for this violation twice previously, the repeat fine was much greater. Previous violations were found in relation to the monorail accident on July 4, 2009, and an earlier issue at Star Tours.
    The final violation was categorized as "Other," and carried no penalty. OSHA found that "the handrails on the bottom and top of the stairs extended past the terminal post; therefore, creating a projection hazard."
    The lack of guardrail was corrected during the inspection. The lack of fall protection had to be corrected by last Thursday, while the two remaining findings must be corrected by October 5.
    Walt Disney World has until September 30 to respond to the findings and pay the penalties, though if they choose to officially contest the findings it would push back all deadlines.
    Primeval Whirl was scheduled to reopen last week, but it is now expected to remain closed until all of the findings are corrected.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Now this scares the cajebers out of me!

Shouldn't scare you at all. Maybe they'll finally remove that entire eyesore area.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Shouldn't scare you at all.
    You gotta do better than that. Explain please. If Disney repeats the same violations, the fines are a drop in the bucket to Disney gate receipts in a given day, that scares the cajebers out of me. I'm assuming since some lost their life, OSHA made them actually fix the offences this time to re-open the attraction???? Or I guess it is possible they didn't and that is why the ride didn't re-open either time Disney said it would.

I haven't heard anything official as to why it didn't open on September 14th but there were whispers early in September that the 14th would come and go. Note: half of her is open now, with one track. http://wdwmagic.com/Attractions/Prim...ng-closure.htm

Maybe they'll finally remove that entire eyesore area.[/QUOTE
    ]
    I've never been a fan of Primeval, not very "Disney" to me, much like the Barnstormer. These two are more Six Flags type of rides to me anyhow.
    I think if they do someday take Primeval away, they should take the whole mini area away with it. You look through the carnival area and either see dino's or Everest, it just doesn't fit in. Or so says I anyhow.
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 09-19-2011 at 11:00 PM.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Shouldn't scare you at all.
    [QUOTE=HauntedGabe;975392]
    You gotta do better than that. Explain please.
    Sounds plenty safe to me. Then again, I'm a customer, not an employee.
    Last edited by supernova; 09-19-2011 at 11:58 PM.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars

[QUOTE=supernova;975419]
    Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post

Sounds plenty safe to me. Then again, I'm a customer, not an employee.
    I agree. Nothing to overly worry about from my point of view either.

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

From a customer's point of view, the ride is safe...but had I been a CM, there was no way you were getting me on a 38 foot high platform with no handrails or signs of an oncoming coaster vehicle. This won't stop me from riding PW, since I do enjoy the ride (though judging from this thread I am in the minority).
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

WDW1014 is offline Fastpass Holder

always hated that ride and hopefully they will get rid of it
    Visits:
    91= Grand Floridan 01= All Star Sports 11= Music
    92= Grand Floridan 02= All Star Movies 12= Movies
    93= Caribbean Beach 03= Old Key West 13= Sports
    94= All Star Sports 04= Pop Century 14= Sports / Sports
    95= French Quarter 05= Pop Century
    96= Dixie Landing 06= Grand Floridan
    97= All Star Music 07= All Star Sports
    98= All Star Sports 08= Pop Century
    99= All Star Movies 09= All Star Sports
    00= All Star Music 10= All Star Music

Quote Originally Posted by DopeyDancer87 View Post
    From a customer's point of view, the ride is safe...but had I been a CM, there was no way you were getting me on a 38 foot high platform with no handrails or signs of an oncoming coaster vehicle. This won't stop me from riding PW, since I do enjoy the ride (though judging from this thread I am in the minority).
    My kids always enjoyed PW, DH and I hung around the area while they road it. I also think this had something to do with AK having so few attractions to keep the young there more than a half a day.

If it is the safety of the CM or the Safety of the Guest, I always believed Disney always followed 'Best Practices.' The issue with me is repeating violations and not following manufacturers handbooks. That unnerved me with the Monorail accident too. I guess I can go lalalala and believe that they cut corners and best practices with their cast but are cautious with the guests. These were not human error loss of life incidents. According to the OSHA report it appears it was brought to their attention and yet it wasn't addressed. We only hear about such when someone is badly hurt or dies.

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    My kids always enjoyed PW, DH and I hung around the area while they road it. I also think this had something to do with AK having so few attractions to keep the young there more than a half a day.

If it is the safety of the CM or the Safety of the Guest, I always believed Disney always followed 'Best Practices.' The issue with me is repeating violations and not following manufacturers handbooks. That unnerved me with the Monorail accident too. I guess I can go lalalala and believe that they cut corners and best practices with their cast but are cautious with the guests. These were not human error loss of life incidents. According to the OSHA report it appears it was brought to their attention and yet it wasn't addressed. We only hear about such when someone is badly hurt or dies.

Agreed...I am not saying that Disney values the lives of their guests over the CM's though, I am sure they don't have price tags on everyone's heads (unless we're in a souvenier shop...), but I was reflecting on the official statement from OSHA that was quoted above, all the issues they found were all things that the CM's had to deal with, not the guests, that's why I said it was safe from our point of view.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

Quote Originally Posted by DopeyDancer87 View Post
    Agreed...I am not saying that Disney values the lives of their guests over the CM's though, I am sure they don't have price tags on everyone's heads (unless we're in a souvenier shop...), but I was reflecting on the official statement from OSHA that was quoted above, all the issues they found were all things that the CM's had to deal with, not the guests, that's why I said it was safe from our point of view.
    I agree, I'm right there with you.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

I thought all the attractions were OSHA inspected and approved before being put in operation, so I'm a bit surprised these things were overlooked.