Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Avatar coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by DAR Star Wars and Indiana Jones aren't Disney either and people seem to like those. Neither are half the movies in the Great Movie Ride. But again, ...
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Avatar coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by DAR View Post
    Star Wars and Indiana Jones aren't Disney either and people seem to like those.

Neither are half the movies in the Great Movie Ride.
    But again, these are RIDES. Not lands. If they want to build an Avatar attraction, fine. But the movie hasn't proven to have legs yet. I see people wearing novelty Star Wars shirts every now and again (granted, they are by guys who are old enough to know better, but still...). Avatar isn't a franchise, it's one movie. And a mediocre one at that, story-wise. The Great Movie Ride is just that... a ride about great movies, or genres. When it was first built, the place was a (semi) working studio. Indiana Jones was a way to show how stunts were made. Back when they first brought in the Muppet attraction, Disney hadn't yet owned them, either. So your argument could be made for the puppet show as well.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

I'm pretty apathetic about the situation at this point... I think that Avatar will have a big showing for guests... Just not Disney fans... I'm holding judgemet on this... I'll get back after I see what kind of plans they come up with...

What I will say is this...

1. AK needs something to boost the draw... Plain and simple... I know we all wanted to see Beastly Kingdom... Sadly this is probably it...

2. For everyone screaming Narnia... Let's face it guys... Disney took the losing franchise over the 3 bug fantasy franchises (HP and Lord of the Rings being the others) Narnia will never see another thing in the park... Remember... Disney bailed halfway through production on the most recent one...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    But again, these are RIDES. Not lands. If they want to build an Avatar attraction, fine. But the movie hasn't proven to have legs yet. I see people wearing novelty Star Wars shirts every now and again (granted, they are by guys who are old enough to know better, but still...). Avatar isn't a franchise, it's one movie. And a mediocre one at that, story-wise. The Great Movie Ride is just that... a ride about great movies, or genres. When it was first built, the place was a (semi) working studio. Indiana Jones was a way to show how stunts were made. Back when they first brought in the Muppet attraction, Disney hadn't yet owned them, either. So your argument could be made for the puppet show as well.
    Mike... I'm with ya here... I think if they wanted to make a ride or attraction that's fine... But we really dont know how this will be as a franchise...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

bigthundermicky is offline C-Ticket Holder

I think Disney is hoping on the sequels being a success. I don't really get the negativity. Cameron teamed up with the imagineers? There is going to be technology that probably is on the drawing board now. I am excited to see what comes. If you think about it, Disney adapted every one of their "Disney" stories from buying the rights to other people's stories and adagpting them to have that Disney touch. I believe that they will do the same with a dedicated land to AK.

twoputt is offline A-Ticket holder

The real big news here is that they are going to be adding to AK! This is something many of us have been wanting for a long time. Of course we've all had our own ideas of what they should add. I'm sure none of us expected this at all.

My take on this is that this wasn't done for the us, the hard core fan. This is to bring new people to the parks. They've seen what Potter did for attendance at Universal, so by bringing in what will become a fairly significant movie franchise, at least box office wise, they're hoping to lure in a new audience that may not have considered Disney before.

I'm eager to see the first plans.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

True. AK really doesn't pull a high percentage of the young generation or they hit Everest and Dinosaur, maybe and head out the gate.

When Epcot was fully operational it use to take us 2 days to get through there. Now a day. AK, a half day at best. Disney I am sure is seeing the hard core fan has time to spend a day or two at the Universal Parks. Seems like they are trying to find ways to keep us Hard Core Disney Fans on Disney Property and possibly sway some Universal Fans to the property as well.

Note: Today was the first trial day for UP interactive (Kim Possible) at AK. Doing similar at MK. At least they are trying and I'm sure this is the trickle down effect from the shake up of the Disney Ex's.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Quote Originally Posted by bigthundermicky View Post
    I think Disney is hoping on the sequels being a success. I don't really get the negativity. Cameron teamed up with the imagineers? There is going to be technology that probably is on the drawing board now. I am excited to see what comes. If you think about it, Disney adapted every one of their "Disney" stories from buying the rights to other people's stories and adagpting them to have that Disney touch. I believe that they will do the same with a dedicated land to AK.
    I disagree. I don't see how they are going to make Avatar an Disneyfied attraction. The whole reason I am opposed to an idea like this is that it seems they are giving up on trying to use their own properties, or even their own original ideas (ie Dinosaur) to continue making it a Disney style park. An amalgamation of others' properties sounds more like Universal (Shrek, Simpsons, Jaws, Bullwinkle, Spiderman, King Kong, Hitchcock, Hannah Barbera, Nickelodeon, Dr. Seuss, etc).

Disney's Hollywood Studios started off that trend, with Star Wars, Muppets, Indiana Jones, Twilight Zone, and... Aerosmith? Yeah, I still don't get that one, either. But if you're going to borrow another property, keep it with the rest of them in one park. Which we can now call Universal Studios, Jr.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

TiggerRPh is offline E-Ticket Holder

Okay….here's my final take on "Avatar-Land"…I am cautiously optimistic. I am not excited or enthused. I'm not of the group that think that this the greatest thing since Walt picked up a pencil, but I'm also not of the group that thinks that this is the death knell of the company, that this was the worse thing they could do. I've never seen the movie. I trust that Cameron & WDI will do this well, especially with a healthy budget…both are detail oriented. I am willing to wait and see what develops.
    Ray

DVC Member - Since 1995
    Old Key West

M-I-C-K-E-Y....I'm a Disney freak.

Might be an interesting, healty budgeted detail-oriented attraction. Still ill-fit anywhere but DHS.

eeyore79 is offline Missing "HOME"

until the announcement the other day, i havent heard about avatar since it was released on dvd what was that last year?

i agree it doesnt have the staying power that star wars, indy, or hp does. those IMO appeal to everyone kids teens and adults...where as avatar to me appealed only to mostly adults.

however, we do have a few years to see how wdi spins this and what they come up with.
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes..."

http://mydreamingcorner.blogspot.com/

Me (Jamie) - 34 DD (Kayla) - 7

TRIP REPORT AUGUST 2011 http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/showt...l=1#post972048

It seems that Disney has just given up at this point and is playing the "throw a bunch of cr*p at the wall and see what sticks" game.

aph
    aph is offline Fastpass Holder

Maybe when Avatar opens, disney will finally fix the Yeti.
    July 1973- Disneyland
    Nov 2002 -off property
    Oct 2004- off property
    Oct 2006- off property
    Nov 2010- Pop Century

Or just stick a big stupid blue character in its place.

Thom Morrow is offline B-Ticket Holder

I feel like the angle here was to build a partnership with Cameron in order to get their hands on his technology (live actors as "avatars") in order to use it in their own projects. With all of the push for more sophisticated character guest interaction, you have to think they see the potential in the work he is doing in that area.

I haven't seen the movie myself, but I can definitely see the fit in AK based on what I know of the themes of the story. I'm also not too worried that Disney will not rebrand it accordingly if Avatar does not continue its relevance. With Disney input, the franchise itself could move in a more Disney-fied direction. Who knows?

I thought the whole idea behind AK was living in the real world, one of the reasons why, of all the lands they decided to scrap when money got tight, was Beastly Kingdom. Still doesn't fit to me.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast