Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Avatar Attraction in AK in the News & Rumors forums; -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- "It's all a bit out of the blue isn't it!" Good pun MissMEY....
    NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Avatar Attraction in AK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It's all a bit out of the blue isn't it!"

Good pun MissMEY.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Sort of knocks AK out of its original intended element. Something like this would be better-suited for DHS. No, I take that back. This belongs at Universal.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Aww Phooey is offline B-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    Count me among those people but I didn't see it in the theater. I saw it at home and while it was awesome visually, I thought it might have had more impact on a larger screen.
    I saw it in theaters once and that was enough for me (come to think of it, that was my Titanic experience as well).

I think it's the only movie I've told people "See it now while you can because if you don't see it on a big screen, preferably in 3D, then don't bother."

That's kinda been the general sentiment among my peers too. I just don't think this movie has enough staying power to justify the existence of this land. It's certain to go down as a very important part of film history but I don't think this is a story that parents will pass on to their children. It's certainly not a movie I see myself passing on to my own child...at least not until they are old enough to appreciate it as a technological achievement. And by the time they DO see it, they probably would have seen that plot done over and over already in other films.

I never saw the original Star Wars in theaters but I remember how I was introduced to it and it was like a coming-of-age ceremony. "Now, Young One, you are one of us!" The "newest" story to have that potential for timelessness is probably...Harry Potter.
    Gotta love a duck in uniform.

Wow. Three threads on this? Maybe the moderators can combine them all for us.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

DAR
    DAR is offline Fastpass Holder

This would fit in the Beastly Kingdom that was originally scheduled for AK. I also think that had Disney been able to use the Marvel characters in the parks this wouldn't have happened.
    WDW Radio Android App.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

I agree, we should combine these threads.

I'm not even sure this fits in Beastly Kingdom. I see BK as having dragons, yeti's (that work), Nessie and other fantasy creatures from this planet. Not other worldly creatures. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Prince Charming is offline B-Ticket Holder

My first thought was does this fit into the Disney brand and I am not making that connection right now. From reading the article, the Disney execs did not do to much to convey that connection either. So is this more of a market reaction to the Potter buzz in attendance and spending statistics at Universal by Disney? But then consider the financial commitment -$500M is half the cost to build the entire park 13 years ago! They obviously see the synergy!

Welcome to the Magic Kingdom!

Six Star Wars movies later (three good and three awful) and there is still only ONE attraction, not a land. But it is still appropriately placed in DHS. I never agreed with sticking Aerosmith into DHS because they're a musical act, not actors. DHS is about movies, not concerts. They could (should) have themed that differently to fit with the park. How Avatar fits into AK, other than the fact that the little blue people lived in trees or whatever the heck, I do not understand. The fact that they felt this was such an earth-shattering announcement is even more beyond my grasp.

Amigorick is offline A-Ticket holder

The huge birds they flew on in Avatar, I think was called an "Ikran", would sort of fit into the AK Logo as they do resemble dragons a little bit. Wonder if they will try and attach the dragon in the logo to this new area? Just curious...

Would not let me insert an image, but pics can be found by searching for "Ikran".
    Last edited by Amigorick; 09-22-2011 at 11:33 AM.

I wouldn't even begin to pretend I would know the name of the giant bird things.

MJMcb is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by DAR View Post
    This would fit in the Beastly Kingdom that was originally scheduled for AK. I also think that had Disney been able to use the Marvel characters in the parks this wouldn't have happened.
    possibly although in reality they do need to expand DAK and Marvel characters would certainly be out of place there
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

Marvel and Avatar belong in DHS. No wait, they don't. They belong in Universal Stuidos. Done.

DisneyJoe93 is offline A-Ticket holder

I'm interested in seeing where Cameron and Disney will take this. I wasn't too thrilled to hear about it at first, but now that I think about it....it could work. The land might need to be explained a bit better because if it really is Pandora...humans can't be on the planet without facemasks. The planet's air is poisonous to humans.
    Go PHILLIES!
    Go FLYERS!
    GO BIRDS!
    Been an Eagles Employee since: August 2010

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyJoe93 View Post
    I'm interested in seeing where Cameron and Disney will take this. I wasn't too thrilled to hear about it at first, but now that I think about it....it could work. The land might need to be explained a bit better because if it really is Pandora...humans can't be on the planet without facemasks. The planet's air is poisonous to humans.
    OK, that's going just a tad too deep now, isn't it?

DisneyJoe93 is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    OK, that's going just a tad too deep now, isn't it?
    Probably. I overthink things. It's my downfall. Either way, the land is going to be exciting and new
    Go PHILLIES!
    Go FLYERS!
    GO BIRDS!
    Been an Eagles Employee since: August 2010

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast