Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Avatar Attraction in AK in the News & Rumors forums; Disney Avatar attraction: Disney licenses rights to Avatar to build first attraction in Animal Kingdom - OrlandoSentinel.com...
    Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL

Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) 2014 (11) Total Trips/Days = 27/364

*Off Property

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Avatar Attraction in AK

Now this could be the real answer to Harry Potter if done well! Wow! Something to get excited about. Far more excited about this than
    Fantasyland.

Looks like the Corporate shake up is doing some good.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

I think they learned a lesson on not getting Harry Potter but from what I read, Rowling was impossible to work with. AK needs more to do because it's just not a full day park, sorry Lou, but I'm torn on adding Avatar. It's not a franchise yet. I think Disney would have been better off to continue the original plans for AK and add the Mythical creatures.

On the other hand, WDI could do amazing things with this. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Were there ever any rumors of this at all?
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

DisneyGuy87 is offline Annual Passholder

I still have to wonder whether or not Disney will make this a land with Avatar mixed in as opposed to and actual Avatar themed land when all is said and done. They have time before they break ground and it will be really interesting to see how it all plays out.

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

So far I'm skeptical and not a fan of this idea at all. Personally, I think Avatar is completely overrated but if it sells, then do it. Putting that aside, however, I think it would be a better fit in Hollywood Studios than Animal Kingdom. But I suppose this sure fits the fantastical and mythical creature bill.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

MissMEY is offline C-Ticket Holder

It's all a bit out of the blue isn't it!

Staying at Old Key West & cruising on the Disney Fantasy

HOST AT THE MINNIE MINXES DISNEY PODCAST
    An all-female Disney podcast from the UK

www.facebook.com/theminnieminxesdisneypodcast
    Our Blog http://theminnieminxes.blogspot.co.uk Our Twitter@theminnieminxes

wdfan is offline Thinking Orange Thoughts

Similar to what DisneyGuy87 said, I think the only way I'll be happy with this is if Avatar is just an attraction inside a new land like Beastly Kingdom. I hope they don't make a whole Avatar land. Yes Avatar made a killing at the box office but a lot of ppl thought the movie was overrated. Also, Avatar doesn't have that following like over movies do (Harry Potter, Star Wars, etc.) and this could be a bust in the long run.
    Animal Kingdom is such an authentic, unique park and I really just dont want to see it become branded with specific characters
    WDW Marathon '12
    WDW Goofy '13

StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by wdfan View Post
    Yes Avatar made a killing at the box office but a lot of ppl thought the movie was overrated. Also, Avatar doesn't have that following like over movies do (Harry Potter, Star Wars, etc.) and this could be a bust in the long run.
    Absolutely agree with this.

Avatar seems like it's already fading out and a big part of Avatar's success was the 3D format, which, after this summer's box office numbers, appears to be cooling off. Also, with the exception of Star Wars, which Lucas has spent an agonizing amount of time writing back stories and details of his fictional galaxy, I feel like the most long standing phenomenon franchises are those that are literary based. After the HP movies become dated, the books will still live on and flourish for generations to come.
    Hollywood Studios would seem to be a much more logical place to put a franchised themed land, and I would much rather see something like Lord of the Rings (although, more than likely coming to Universal), that has established itself as more than the "next new thing".

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Yes Avatar made a killing at the box office but a lot of ppl thought the movie was overrated. Also, Avatar doesn't have that following like over movies do (Harry Potter, Star Wars, etc.) and this could be a bust in the long run.
    Animal Kingdom is such an authentic, unique park and I really just dont want to see it become branded with specific characters
    heres my issue here... the reason Avatar isnt HP or Star Wars is that it is only one film... maybe it could be HP or on a level just below Star Wars when the sequels pop... also... it is hard to bet against a film (not franchise) that made 2.8 Billion dollars worldwide...

and also... AK is unique and authentic... but last time i checked most people cannot spend more than half a day there... i see this as a halfway decent idea... lets just keep an open mind...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Aww Phooey is offline B-Ticket Holder

Similar to what DisneyGuy87 said, I think the only way I'll be happy with this is if Avatar is just an attraction inside a new land like Beastly Kingdom. I hope they don't make a whole Avatar land. Yes Avatar made a killing at the box office but a lot of ppl thought the movie was overrated. Also, Avatar doesn't have that following like over movies do (Harry Potter, Star Wars, etc.) and this could be a bust in the long run.
    YES!

I just posted my comments on the blog (pending moderation) but that was how I felt too. Remember when The Matrix was the greatest thing ever? No really...it was the greatest thing EVER.
    Gotta love a duck in uniform.

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

There is a plethora of other movies that could be used instead of Avatar. Not necessarily for AK, but The Rocketeer has enjoyed a resurgence, there's Pete's Dragon, too. If Elliott isn't a mythical creature then I don't know what is anymore.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by JNota0005DakMC View Post

and also... AK is unique and authentic... but last time i checked most people cannot spend more than half a day there... i see this as a halfway decent idea... lets just keep an open mind...
    Yep, need an open mind and likely Disney's plans will change over and over again before they even break ground. It is the Disney pattern the last decade.

Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Yes Avatar made a killing at the box office but a lot of ppl thought the movie was overrated.
    Count me among those people but I didn't see it in the theater. I saw it at home and while it was awesome visually, I thought it might have had more impact on a larger screen.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

missbounce is offline Fastpass Holder

I'm actually really excited about this - and great news that AK is getting some more attention - hoorah! Now, why couldn't this have been an announcement at the Parks and Resorts talk at the D23 Expo??!
    Cara
    @MissBounceUK

*** PROUD CHARTER-DAY GOLD MEMBER OF D23! ***
    ***DISNEYLAND ANNUAL PASSHOLDER***

MY DISNEY TRIPS:
    October 2012 - Walt Disney World (Coronado Springs) Halloween, Food and Wine, Christmas Season ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2012 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: 75 Years of Disney Animation ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2011 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Expo
    May 2011 - Walt Disney World (All Star Sports) D23 Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary
    November 2010 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Bonfire Night Celebrations and Halloween Season
    September 2010 - Disneyland California (Disneyland Hotel and Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: Disneyland 55th Anniversary
    February 2010 - Walt Disney World (All Star Music and Polynesian Resort)
    May 2009 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Mickey's Magical Party
    October 2008 - Walt Disney World (All Star Movies, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian Resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge) Halloween and Food and Wine
    January 2008 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Christmas Season
    June 2007 - Disneyland Paris (Newport Bay Club) Disneyland Paris 15th Anniversary Celebrations
    January 2006 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Christmas Season
    September 2004 - Walt Disney World (Pop Century) Honeymoon

pinkemma666 is offline D-Ticket Holder

Must admit that I strayed onto the forums today just to read more of the debate that had taken over the internet last night!

I haven't seen the film but hear that its was visually amazing. I'm looking forward to seeing how WDI transfers this into a park.

I love AK and can spend as many hours as possible relaxing there. I really hope that this development brings another lot of natural surroundings to AK.

I'm a Disney fan because I like what they do and have faith in them, they wouldn't have made a crazy decision like this without knowing how it would play out.
    We may all grow old, but never grow up xx

Visit my blog at - www.daydreamingdisney.com

Facebook page - www.facebook.com/daydreamingdisney

Follow me on Twitter - @daydreamingdis

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast