Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Avatar...What's the big deal? in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by supernova I don't think anyone's questioning its popularity. It did very well at the box office. Granted, most of it as in 3D ticket sales, which in ...
    zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Avatar...What's the big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    I don't think anyone's questioning its popularity. It did very well at the box office. Granted, most of it as in 3D ticket sales, which in some areas of the country can literally double the price of a ticket. Titanic did well, too, but I wouldn't build a land around it. Plus, the audience for Titanic that brought that movie over the top (women and couples) is vastly different from the fanboys who dressed up like Avatars for Halloween.

Exactly my point, and its the exact thing I said in another thread before someone could bring up how much money it made. Titanic made a ton of money, but you don't see Titanic merchandise as a big seller. Star Wars? You betcha. Harry Potter will sell stuff and be popular for ages still. I know avatar made a ton of money, but I still don't think it's popular ENOUGH. Not to last and build a whole land over for years to come, and not to cause people to plan a trip to Disney that they otherwise wouldn't. My 6 year old cousin, myself and my 50-something year old mother in law all have the harry potter books and movies and have all made trips to Florida to go to Universal after the wizarding world came. I was the only one who saw avatar out of the three of us and I really enjoyed it, but not enough to buy it.

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

I'm looking up articles on the topic through google news, and like 90% of the comments on each article (if anyone even bothers commenting at all, since no one seems to care) are negative. It just makes me worry... for the most part I can't find any comments, does anyone care about this besides people who are going to go to Disney already?

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Does it really matter?

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

I think we need to give Disney a chance with this and see what they come up with. While not a fan of the movie, I'm quite interested to see what the imagineers can do with this subject.

bonoferox is offline A-Ticket holder

With the attraction "officially" opening somewhat in line with the sequels coming in 2015 and 2016, I think the popularity will be more than sufficient at the time draw some heavy interest from tourists.

I loved Avatar when it came out and still watch it quite often just because of how gorgeous it is. Strangely enough, the forest and jungle scenes in the movie actually made me think of Animal Kingdom the first time I saw it in Imax 3D. Overall, I'm incredibly excited about it.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by MartianCrab View Post
    Maybe I should just be glad Disney didn't pursue a "Twilightland". That was popular, too.
    It ain't over yet. Give them a chance. That'd be just as stupid and pointless as Avatar, so Disney might just consider that one, too.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Does it really matter?
    In the end, no. Sadly, we're just paying customers. And I personally won't be drawn to it, it's not like anyone's not going to go to Disney World because there's an added Avatar attraction there, even if it means they aren't going FOR it.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

DAR
    DAR is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    I think we need to give Disney a chance with this and see what they come up with. While not a fan of the movie, I'm quite interested to see what the imagineers can do with this subject.
    Now now you have to be skeptical and not give this a chance, internet law states that.

As for the Avatar sequels flopping not a chance. While I don't expect them to make as much as Avatar did, both are still going to make over 1 billion world wide.
    WDW Radio Android App.

bigthundermicky is offline C-Ticket Holder

I just watched Avatar again this past Saturday. I watched it a different way, for obvious reasons. The possibiblites of what they could do is endless. I'm not sure why there is such resentment for this announcement. Is is just because Disney did not produce the film? Disney has adapted almost every story they have ever produced. Is the resentment due to people thinking that Disney is losing it's magic and becoming like Universal?

I have always felt that taking stories and making them magical has always been the company's greatest strength.

I do trust the imagineers to not take this undertaking lightly, especially because of the major investment they put foward. I am excited for what's to come.

DAR

I don't know if anyone listened to the newscast but Lou did mention that the majority of Disney properties originated from other sources so this isn't exactly new things. But the internet has created a slew of Mikey's(Life cereal) I'll wait and see but I can't go through life being that cynical.
    WDW Radio Android App.

Quote Originally Posted by DAR View Post
    ...I'll wait and see but I can't go through life being that cynical.
    Of course you can. Try it. You'd be surprised how far it actually gets you.

DAR

No thanks I'll pass
    WDW Radio Android App.

StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder

Every time I hear more information about the Avatar land it upsets me more, James Cameron is saying now it will be a 12 acre half day experience in the park. I don't want AK to turn into "the park with the Avatar land" much like Universal Islands has done with the addition of Harry Potter and the way some people see DHS with Star Wars. Animal Kingdom is beautiful and very underrated, how many people will get stuck in Pandora for 4-5 hours and miss out on what the rest of the park has to offer?

Also, just like Supernova said, it was a popular movie but most of the hysteria around it came from the media drooling over its box office numbers. Everyone I know who saw it just thought it was an ok movie that looked cool. I'm sure there were lots of people who went to see it multiple times but not in the way people went to see LOTR or HP. And if you look at actual ticket sales or ticket prices adjusted to inflation (All Time Box Office Adjusted for Ticket Price Inflation) and then figure that a ticket for Avatar would still cost you 7-8 dollars more than a standard format movie I hardly think it would even fall into the top twenty highest grossing movies of all time.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

I may not be an Avatar fan, but I'm looking forwad to seeing what the imagineers do.

DAR

I am as well even if it's not the "cool" or "in thing" to do according to some.
    WDW Radio Android App.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast