Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Avatar...What's the big deal? in the News & Rumors forums; I hate to see Disney put its resources into this forgettable movie. Avatar was popular because of the special effects - which in just a few years will appear dated. ...
    Cheltenham is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Avatar...What's the big deal?

I hate to see Disney put its resources into this forgettable movie. Avatar was popular because of the special effects - which in just a few years will appear dated. There are no memorable characters and little story. Few people really care about this movie.

There may be enough flash in it for a single attraction, but not enough substance for an entire land.

Hopefully Disney will realize the mistake before construction begins and switch to Beastly Kingdom or something else with a more timeless appeal.

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

Pixie Hollow? Avatarland? 2 swings and 2 misses.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

DAR
    DAR is offline Fastpass Holder

I guess Lou was right on the newscast there's going to be some that will judge before even one spec of dirt has been dug.
    WDW Radio Android App.

DAR

Quote Originally Posted by Cheltenham View Post
    I hate to see Disney put its resources into this forgettable movie. Avatar was popular because of the special effects - which in just a few years will appear dated. There are no memorable characters and little story. Few people really care about this movie.

There may be enough flash in it for a single attraction, but not enough substance for an entire land.

Hopefully Disney will realize the mistake before construction begins and switch to Beastly Kingdom or something else with a more timeless appeal.
    $2.7 billion world wide means someone remembered the movie. As for my feelings on the film it's a good but familiar story with great special effects.
    WDW Radio Android App.

Quote Originally Posted by DAR View Post
    I guess Lou was right on the newscast there's going to be some that will judge before even one spec of dirt has been dug.
    If you don't like the premise the whole project is based on, why wouldn't you "judge"?
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

DAR

Because a themed land and attractions are different from a two hour movie.
    WDW Radio Android App.

Because a themed land and attractions are different from a two hour movie.
    But if you dislike the premise, why would you like the attractions that are built around it? I purposely DIDN'T see Avatar because it looked idiotic to me. Why would I then be excited to see an Avatar attraction? I don't like American Idol. Consequently I haven't visited the DHS show....that's how I roll. I don't visit things I hate.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Some have argued that it was nothing more than one huge expensive dig by Cameron at the Bush administration and their quest for oil. After seeing the film, I would agree. A jab at Bush with expensive effects built around it. Sort of the way stupid George Lucas build threw the annoying pointless pod racing scene into the forgetable first (fourth, whatever) Star Wars film. Have the technology? Use it and then some. Doesn't matter that you have a weak story and characters. Just CGI the helI out of it and no one will notice.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Cheltenham is offline A-Ticket holder

So, does that mean we are not supposed to offer any opinions on Disney's plans until they are finished?

People should be able to discuss their thoughts on the wisdom of these plans without the suggestion that there is something wrong in just offering an opinion.

DAR

I didn't like the movie Dinosaur and think the attraction it's based on is one of the best and most underrated at a Disney park.

Conversely I loved Lilo and Stich but I'm not a fan of any of the attraction it's based on.

See I did something called "giving it a chance" and was able to form my own opinion.
    WDW Radio Android App.

DAR

So, does that mean we are not supposed to offer any opinions on Disney's plans until they are finished?

People should be able to discuss their thoughts on the wisdom of these plans without the suggestion that there is something wrong in just offering an opinion.
    But at some point it became tiresome to see fanboys and fangirls judge everything negatively just because it was the hip thing to do.
    WDW Radio Android App.

DAR

And see what could happen if you try something new.

1978 Life Cereal "Mikey" Commercial - YouTube

WDW Radio Android App.

But at some point it became tiresome to see fanboys and fangirls judge everything negatively just because it was the hip thing to do.
    I thought the fanboys and girls would be the ones singing Avatar's praises?
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

No. You must never EVER question a Disney decision, nor should you ever blast them in public, especially here on the forums.

Jesus, sometimes I feel like I'm in that Roddy Piper movie, "They Live."
    "I've got one that can see!"

Clearly, if you've read any of my posts "fanboy" isn't a term that would spring to mind. Grouch, perhaps, but not fanboy. FWIW, I consider myself a Disney purist. I love Walt Disney World...that's why I come here. Unfortunately for me (and fans like me) the Walt Disney Company has strayed from their roots. What's worse is the WDC seems to have no clear vision. Their main goal is to save money while simultaneously squeezing every last cent out of their customers (we used to be considered guests). Now news of a new project has been announced. Is it something Disney has created? No; it was an outside source. Is it something timeless and creative? No; it's Ferngully with blue aliens.

How am I supposed to react? To me this news is just more evidence of Disney's decline. I want to like what they do...but they keep disappointing me.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast