Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss No more free trick-or-treating at Downtown Disney in the News & Rumors forums; So this was recently annouced by Disney saying that there was just to big of crowds. I think it was a stupid move on Disney's part because all it is ...
    penguinmickdis1 is offline C-Ticket Holder

No more free trick-or-treating at Downtown Disney

So this was recently annouced by Disney saying that there was just to big of crowds. I think it was a stupid move on Disney's part because all it is is good pr for local Orlando residents. I wrote about my thoughts on my blog here if you want to read more of my opinion The Four Parks: Opinion of the Week: Why Disney Should Not Get Rid of Free Trick-or-Treating What do you think?

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: No more free trick-or-treating at Downtown Disney

I believe the official statement is true however it is also very abbreviated.
    Downtown Disney is now in a quirky area. When built, it was on the edge of the property yes. It was intended to be "the marketplace" for the homes and apartments that were initially planned for that area. Unfortunately for many reasons that could not happen. Now, in some directions, just off property is some pretty dicey areas. Pick up the Orlando Sentinel any morning and you will see all that happens.

Disney was having this problem with Pleasure Island. The real world was making its way into the World. We attended Trick or Treats for multiple years and it was fun, by the end it was getting a tad intimidating and overwhelming. It wasn't the place for guests to be. Now there are two hard ticket events that have trick or treating, one at the MK and the other at Ft. Wilderness.

What convienced me that my family would not be there again was muggers dressing up in Halloween Costumes that mugged unsuspecting guests that believed they were in a safe enviroment. Being dressed in masks it was next to impossible for guests to give the Sheriff any good leads and nobody else would notice someone in costume on Halloween.

So while I agree it was intially a nice gesture, that gesture had worn out its welcome.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Disney.Gen.2.0 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    What convinced me that my family would not be there again was muggers dressing up in Halloween Costumes that mugged unsuspecting guests that believed they were in a safe environment. Being dressed in masks it was next to impossible for guests to give the Sheriff any good leads and nobody else would notice someone in costume on Halloween.

So while I agree it was initially a nice gesture, that gesture had worn out its welcome.
    Why do people always have to take a good thing and make it harmful?

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Probably a good idea to end it in DTD.

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

If that really is what was going on in DTD, then I couldn't agree more that it needed to end. It's so sad that a bunch of stupid people need to ruin it for the rest.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

kandjad is offline C-Ticket Holder

That's crazy!! I would have to agree with doing away with it. Do you think they will still have trick or treating at the resorts? That's what my kids always did - and they had a BLAST!! They got out of the pool, threw on a costume, walked around the resort, snagged a handful of treats, jumped back into the pool and they were happy!

Quote Originally Posted by DopeyDancer87 View Post
    If that really is what was going on in DTD.
    I pulled the two I remembered for when my son was doing his college program. The oldest of Disney Housing is just off property near DTD. There is a Walgreens right outside that gated housing. That Walgreens there was always something happening there or in the immediate area. While he was in that housing a person was shot dead using the ATM at that Walgreens. Scared the daylights out of me. Disney's additional college housing was built elsewhere. It surprised me when Disney started on Hyprion given the issues they already had in that corner of the World.

Orlando Sentinel

A couple walking along the waterfront in Downtown Disney Thursday morning said a gun-totting clown and another man, whose face was hidden behind a dark hoodie, stole their cash. Kelan Browne, 18, and Chelsie Ector, 19, told Orange County deputies that they were walking in a secluded part of the popular tourist spot at 1:20 a.m. when a man wearing a clown mask and holding a gun demanded "Give me all you got," the report shows. Browne took his wallet out of his pocket, removed his identification card and handed it over to the clown. The masked suspects then ran toward the Virgin Music store, looking back at their victims before disappearing into the dark. Deputies later found the empty wallet near the front of the music shop and a backpack, containing the mask, near Cirque Du Soleil.

Channel 9

Early Thursday morning, two people sitting on a bench at Disney's Pleasure Island were robbed at gun point.
    The victim's weren't able to give police a good description because both men were wearing Halloween masks. Orange County deputies said a couple was trying to get some quiet time alone at Pleasure Island when two men came up to them and pointed a gun in their face.
    The man and woman were sitting on a bench on the back side of the entertainment venue around 2:00 Thursday morning. One of the men was wearing a 'joker' or clown-like Halloween mask while the other was wearing a plain black ski mask.
    The two suspects demanded everything the couple had. The man gave up his wallet and $25. Deputies found the empty wallet in another part of Pleasure Island.
    The Orange County Sheriff's Office said that they haven't heard of any other Halloween related crimes Wednesday night.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

Wasn't arguing or questioning that these types of things go on...Orlando isn't exactly known to be a safe city. It doesn't surprise me in the least that people are mugged in DTD, theres a lot of tourists with cash on them in a shopping district - prime target.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

eeyore79 is offline Missing "HOME"

wow were those reports recent??

unfortunatly, in the happiest place on earth, you still have to use caution and be aware of your surroundings. just like anywhere.
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes..."

http://mydreamingcorner.blogspot.com/

Me (Jamie) - 34 DD (Kayla) - 7

TRIP REPORT AUGUST 2011 http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/showt...l=1#post972048

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore79 View Post
    wow were those reports recent??

unfortunatly, in the happiest place on earth, you still have to use caution and be aware of your surroundings. just like anywhere.

Those no. I had a time frame in my mind to be able to find those, but they are in the Orlando Sentinel all the time. There is a great deal of security in the DTD area. More than anyone would realize for this reason. Disney has some control because it is private property even though it is not gated.

People tend to put their guard down at WDW. If DTD wasn't supposed to be a Market Place I doubt Disney would have stuck it in that particular corner of the World.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

These locals are already getting into the parks at crazy-reduced rates. Now they want to hit Disney up for free candy? Stay on your own block, you cheapskate troublemakers. End the DTD free-for-all, I say.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.