Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Fast Pass the Parade? in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by DVCDad Please stop it with "the sky is falling" doomsday, Disney wants to make you plan every second of your trip whether you want to or not. ...
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Fast Pass the Parade?

Quote Originally Posted by DVCDad View Post
    Please stop it with "the sky is falling" doomsday, Disney wants to make you plan every second of your trip whether you want to or not. It's simply not true, and it's beginning to sound a tad silly. Fast passes are merely tools to help ease up lines, nothing more, nothing less. They don't stop non users from doing anything.
    I flat-out REFUSE to allow Disney to control my trips. I have my own car so I'm not waiting on their bus system. I make one ADR a trip, for a character meal. Otherwise, I eat when I want to and have rarely had a problem finding someplace to eat. I use fast pass for certain attractions, otherwise am at a point where I am fine if I have to skip an attraction. I will never, EVER, get a fast pass for a silly parade, of all things.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

DVCDad is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    I flat-out REFUSE to allow Disney to control my trips. I have my own car so I'm not waiting on their bus system. I make one ADR a trip, for a character meal. Otherwise, I eat when I want to and have rarely had a problem finding someplace to eat. I use fast pass for certain attractions, otherwise am at a point where I am fine if I have to skip an attraction. I will never, EVER, get a fast pass for a silly parade, of all things.
    If that's how you choose to enjoy your vacation, than so be it. I fail to see anything that Disney is doing preventing you from doing so in any way. In fact, by adding interactive queues to attractions, Disney is making the regular queues more enjoyable.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    This is a place to share opinions and in none of my opinions have I stated an opinion was incorrect. You on the other hand are directly insulting my intelligence which, not only do I not appreciate but it is not something anyone here, moderators included, take kindly too
    The Chicago Cubs brought in a new President yesterday. A very intelligent young man. As I listened to him speak and answer questions from the media his intelligence beamed through. The Cubs have had their problems for over a hundred years. He could have thrown many digs, insults or pot-shots at others. He did not engage in that type of behavior. He articulated his points well and with class along with respect. It is amazing when an intelligent human speaks people listen to their point of view.
    --------------

Jenn, I had my DD (a math major) take a look at this this morning. At first blush, when she started reading and then stopped laughing, she said it is a very crude research. Reminded me that anyone can pull data to support their personal debate but she said she would look at it more later however she knew it was flawed immediately because:

1. It isn't using actual data. Number of fastpasses, number of stand-by
    2. Ratio of fastpasses entering attraction to number of stand-by, if the fast pass is allowance is constant, the stand-by is not constant, throwing off the results.
    3. Ratio of fasspasses allowed to enter an attraction to the number of stand-by.
    4. The reliability of the references. Highly questionable as scientific resources in this field of study. (I missed that, but it later gave me a good giggle)
    5. Operations. Doesn't account for breaks in service nor attendants changing the ratio of stand by to fastpass entrance.

What did seem to conclude well is the physical queue. Fastpasses saved the parks money and space needed for many attraction queues. Visually appealing for the guests not to see long stand-by queues.

Being absent of actual Disney supplied, guest data I guess we can sum up quickly how reliable this paper is for our discussion. Even with their hour of the day data, hour of the day from value, moderate and high season greatly varies. Bet it would apply right now well to the Mickey meet and greet fast pass though.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Prince Charming is offline B-Ticket Holder

Fast Pass the Parade?

I think what Disney is trying to control are the crowds during the parade time in peak seasons (e.g., the "Christmas through New Years' week"). A visit during one of these high capacity weeks really requires some planning so I feel that Disney is just giving you that next FP option - parade viewing.

So maybe this FP option is just to be used during peak attendance time periods.

Welcome to the Magic Kingdom!

weepstah is offline C-Ticket Holder

Well, one sentence popped right out of me from the study's introduction:

"...but also slow ordinary operation rate of the rides – the rate to gain profits!".

This may be applicable if the park doesn't operate on a POP basis, but virtually every theme park in the US does (and has for decades). So, what profits? The writers are from China, so I'm wondering if their amusement parks operate more on a ticketing system.

However I don't want to nitpick on stuff yet. Looks like an interesting read.

scott_omaha is offline A-Ticket holder

How big is the FP section exactly? Is it the entire hub or just a portion of it?

Zipadeedooda is offline Fastpass Holder

sounds like a good idea to me
    Noah

Where Magic Lives

"its a glorious three hour finale I call A Tribute to all Nations but Mostly AMERICA!"

"Now approaching Tomorrowland's Space Mountain"

weepstah is offline C-Ticket Holder

I found a different (and in my opinion, better) research paper on fastpass. In this one they look at different methods of distributing passes and how it might affect wait times in both queues. It's not really applicable to this conversation, but I thought it was pretty interesting.

http://www.math.ucla.edu/~lvese/MCM_...CU-team381.pdf

I read a bunch of other opinions (for and against) Fast Pass in general, and at the end of the day, I believe it's still about ride capacity. Any virtual queuing system is just redistributing the load.

In order to effectively use a virtual queuing system, you need to have a queue. But what is your queue for a parade? I'm not convinced that an effective FP area can be carved out of the parade route - normally these areas are fully accessible except during the parades. How/when do you lock them down, without disrupting traffic flow? How do you communicate to guests that an area will be designated for FP users only?

I feel 100% certain that setting up a FP area for parades anywhere on Main Street would be a major mistake. Traffic flow during those times is already a problem. Another potential issue is - as the parade time nears, crowds build up and make it very difficult to get to areas on the parade route. You may have a FP for the parade, but it may do you absolutely no good at all if you can't get to the designated viewing area.

The people who plan these things for Disney aren't dummies. That's one of the things I wonder about the Next-Gen system that keeps popping up. FastPass works pretty well because it's for a limited number of the most popular rides. There's absolutely no point in adding it to rides that have very high capacity or aren't super popular. That just makes things needlessly complex and confusing for everyone. Think about the TTA for example. There's never a line, it's super high capacity, it has a single entry point that can't be split up.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234