Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Disney's Special NYE surprise announcement in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by Mo Noyz Didn't read every post, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned. But, I'd be tickled pink if they announced that they were going ...
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Disney's Special NYE surprise announcement

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Didn't read every post, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned.

But, I'd be tickled pink if they announced that they were going to finally repair the 2nd park!

A fifth gate at this point would be a rather dismal confession that they've completely given up on the second gate.
    No to mention that the third gate seemed to go up so quickly and was a complete joke of a project. So the Imagineers spent extra time and money designing the fourth park. Only trouble was, they forgot to put anything inside worth doing.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

The 4th was a pretty tough project. They wanted to compete with Busch Gardens, but they forgot the fact that one of the main draws for that parks was it's wealth of coasters.

Either way, they seem to be righting the ship there, IMO.

Now, I realize you and I do not see eye-to-eye on the 2nd gate, but I'm thinking that even you have to admit that it's truly fallen by the wayside. World Showcase is still decent enough, but Future World is nearly a wasteland at this point compared to it's prime in the late 80's/early 90's.

Not that I'm saying they need to bring Horizons/World of Motion (pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease)/Living Seas back, but it seems a shame they cannot rediscover the forward-thinking imagineering that made it what it was viable once again. The Imagination pavilion is a shell of its former self. Energy is as stale as ever. Don't even get me started on the abomination that is The Seas with Nitmo and Friends with it's glaringly empty tank. Test Track is in serious need of something (even if the ride itself is still pretty darned good), Mission:Failure speaks for itself.

Need we discuss the descent of Spaceship Earth?

Or the fact that the somehow still excellent Illuminations is as old as the hills?

Perhaps we'll visit the ghettos of Wonders of Life and The Odyssey.

It just kills me that my favorite park has been left to rot.

It has essentially become a half-day park, considering you like to do a lot of shopping and eating around World Showcase. Because Future World has devolved into riding Spaceship Earth for the excellent ascent, grabbing a Fastpass for Soarin', riding Test track, and...that's...about...it.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

The 4th was a pretty tough project. They wanted to compete with Busch Gardens, but they forgot the fact that one of the main draws for that parks was it's wealth of coasters.

Either way, they seem to be righting the ship there, IMO.

Now, I realize you and I do not see eye-to-eye on the 2nd gate, but I'm thinking that even you have to admit that it's truly fallen by the wayside. World Showcase is still decent enough, but Future World is nearly a wasteland at this point compared to it's prime in the late 80's/early 90's.

Not that I'm saying they need to bring Horizons/World of Motion (pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease)/Living Seas back, but it seems a shame they cannot rediscover the forward-thinking imagineering that made it what it was viable once again. The Imagination pavilion is a shell of its former self. Energy is as stale as ever. Don't even get me started on the abomination that is The Seas with Nitmo and Friends with it's glaringly empty tank. Test Track is in serious need of something (even if the ride itself is still pretty darned good), Mission:Failure speaks for itself.

Need we discuss the descent of Spaceship Earth?

Or the fact that the somehow still excellent Illuminations is as old as the hills?

It has essentially become a half-day park, considering you like to do a lot of shopping and eating around World Showcase. Because Future World has devolved into riding Spaceship Earth for the excellent ascent, grabbing a Fastpass for Soarin', riding Test track, and...that's...about...it.
    Please do not get me started on SSE... On my blog I went on a rant a few months ago about the failure of Seimens at refrubing the attraction... I like many others enjoy the ascent... It is the descent that has had everyone up in arms throughout the past few years... Here is my take on the rest of Epcot if anyone cares to read it...

The Future World section of Epcot is at a crossroads... It is hard to be a true future world when it becomes apparent that we do not necessarily know what the future holds... And it becomes an even bigger problem when it is guessed what might be in the future in the next 20 years only to see the concepts and ideas become aged before the paint dries... Future World cannot be like Tomorrowland i.e. a Buck Rogers look at the future because that has been done... They do need something new... Something fresh... Maybe a look at how the world is instead of how the world might be... I dunno the answer but I sure have quite a we questions...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Agreed.

What really killed Future World, IMO, was the internet. When EPCOT was fresh you could go there and see all kinds of exciting things that you'd never seen before, and likely couldn't see many other places.

The internet changed all of that. Sure, you can't see it on as large a scale, but there will be no true "wow" factor anymore.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Indeed, they forgot balance. 3rd Park they were in a race with Universal so they only opened a third of a park.

I was sad when they ripped apart The Land for Soar'n. I like Soar'n but it dismantled a good pavilion for families, families use to be important to Disney. Mission just made me so ill I nor my family will ever do again.

Remember when Disney use to continually re-invent these attractions? Same for Wishes and MK Parades.

You forgot Imagination pavilion when you mentioned the ghettos. I'm sure the young families enjoy the Sea's as it stands now, but if they were going to improve the Pavilion it should have been done where the whole family or guests without children could enjoy too.

We normally come into Epcot mid afternoon, hit those few attractions, eat dinner in WS walk the deck and watch illuminations. That is getting harder considering Disney now is selling off the ability to stand and view without paying dearly for some cookies. I wonder when Disney will hit that saturation point when guest say Uncle to all those extra fee's atop the admission.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

TXTaylors5 is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    When I say I walked on to nearly everything, it was crazy. I pulled into the parking lot at Universal for about 11:30 and I was leaving at around 3:30. Had to get back to the Villas at Wilderness Lodge to shower, change, and leave for the Christmas party that night. Here was the "line" for the Simpson's ride. It was my first time riding it and the first ride I visited, after taking some character pictures on the way in. I figure it had to be about 12:15 or so when I got there:
    When was this?????? We've been wanting to take the kids to Universal Florida. But, I honestly didn't know when a "slow" season would be there. This looks pretty "slow" to me! Plus, I've always been too wrapped up on planning WDW trips because we are DVC Members and have APs.
    Jennifer Bill (DisneyTaylors) Will (12) Emily (10) Cole (7)
    2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH(DLR), POR, SSR, BWV, POFQ; 2010: BWV (2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) ~ DCL(Wonder); 2011: BCV, AKV (2xs) ~ MNSSHP ~ MVMCP ~ F&W ~ DCL(Dream); 2012: BWV, AKV, BLT ~ F&W ~ MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy);
    Upcoming Disney Trips:
    2013:04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ Flower and Garden Festival & Expedition Everest Challenge, 12/VGC (DLR)
    2014: 06/DCL ~ Alaska (Wonder), 10/DCL ~ Southern Caribbean (Magic)

"Sparkly"

Once again, Disney Parks made an announcement 99% of the world already knew about and 99% of the people didn't care. I know they leak information to get a buzz going. But really? "One More Disney Day" for them to part you from your money. This only gets the locals and people at the resorts excited. While us at home get to try and win something online. I NEVER win online contests!

If you want to try your luck . . . One More Disney Day Sweepstakes link HERE.

Good Luck!

"One More Disney Day"
    We've been to the Magic Kingdom when it was open until 3 AM (Evening Extra Magic Hours). It was great! Luckily for us, most people didn't plan well enough and left earlier because they were tired or the kids didn't get a nap. The only people I see at the MK from 1 am - 5 am during the Leap Year celebration are teens/young adults. We were the exception at the MK during the EEMH at 3 am. Not too many families still in the park.

"Let the Memories Begin" (Again!)
    I think it is a cop out to use the same theme for the next year. Very lazy IMHO. However, they did spend some money to do the Cinderella Castle (MK) and IASW (DL) video shows. They could have carried that technology over to another "show" and theme. JMHO
    Last edited by TXTaylors5; 01-06-2012 at 10:45 AM.
    2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH(DLR), POR, SSR, BWV, POFQ; 2010: BWV (2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) ~ DCL(Wonder); 2011: BCV, AKV (2xs) ~ MNSSHP ~ MVMCP ~ F&W ~ DCL(Dream); 2012: BWV, AKV, BLT ~ F&W ~ MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy);
    Upcoming Disney Trips:
    2013:04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ Flower and Garden Festival & Expedition Everest Challenge, 12/VGC (DLR)

"Sparkly"

This was 12:30(ish) on Wednesday, December 14th. Everything except Jaws and HP were walk-ons, and Potter wasn't long at all. Jaws was maybe 5-7 minutes, if that. Nice easy day through the park. Hit all four Disney parks on Tuesday, Wednesday was Universal in the early afternoon, Mickey's Christmas party thing that night. Two days, six "parks" plus one repeat. Not bad.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    This was 12:30(ish) on Wednesday, December 14th. Everything except Jaws and HP were walk-ons, and Potter wasn't long at all. Jaws was maybe 5-7 minutes, if that. Nice easy day through the park. Hit all four Disney parks on Tuesday, Wednesday was Universal in the early afternoon, Mickey's Christmas party thing that night. Two days, six "parks" plus one repeat. Not bad.
    We were at WDW the week before Christmas (and the week of Christmas) last year. I used to praise the week after Thanksgiving being the best week at WDW. Last year changed all that. The week before Christmas is "the best" week we have ever seen for crowds at WDW. Sounds like it is the same for Universal. We may just have to try it at Universal one year. Thanks!

This year, we were at WDW during the week before Thanksgiving and the week of Thanksgiving. Believe it or not, the week before Christmas was slower than the week before Thanksgiving!!!
    Upcoming Disney Trips:

"Sparkly"

Aren't the Harry Potter coasters the old dueling dragons?

Yes. And the Doom ride is their old free-fall ride. Taking a page out of the ol' Six Flags play book, a fresh coat of paint and BAM, a new ride.

I don't do coasters, so I wouldn't know one from the other. Their simulator ride was pretty cool, though. Somehow, every time they open something new, the technology blows Disney's out of the water.

Only simulator ride I ever went on was the old Questor at Busch Gardens. My wife and I were sick to our stomachs for hours afterwards. Have never wanted to try it again.

Aren't the Harry Potter coasters the old dueling dragons?
    The Wizarding World of Harry Potter has THREE main attractions . . .

Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey (New Attraction)
    Link HERE

Dragon Challenge (formerly Dueling Dragons)
    Link HERE

Flight of the Hippogriff (formerly Flying Unicorn)
    Link HERE

Jennifer
    Upcoming Disney Trips:

"Sparkly"

Only simulator ride I ever went on was the old Questor at Busch Gardens. My wife and I were sick to our stomachs for hours afterwards. Have never wanted to try it again.
    At Innoventions in Epcot they have an area sponsored by Raytheon called Sum of all Thrills where you can create your own rollercoaster and then get into a simulator to ride it. (Included with park admission)

Link HERE
    Warning: Turn your speakers off when going to this website. It has really loud music playing in the background.
    Upcoming Disney Trips:

"Sparkly"

Look like Universal is finally getting their act together. When we went there over a decade ago it was fairly lame. Really just a slightly better themed Six Flags.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast