Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324
Like Tree31Likes
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Test Track 2012 Update in the News & Rumors forums; I've never actually paid for a touring plan of any sort. I've been to WDW enough times now to know when to go and when not to go. If I ...
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Test Track 2012 Update

I've never actually paid for a touring plan of any sort. I've been to WDW enough times now to know when to go and when not to go. If I miss an attraction because the wait time is too long, whatever. I'll hit it next year. I'm not going to cry myself to sleep because I didn't get to ride Pirates or Pooh. Nor am I going to check anticipated calendars created last year to know when it might be safe to visit the parks in the following year.

I can see where a first time visitor might value this information, and it's fine if they need to pay for it. Most of this stuff is free on the internet, though.
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

The apps are free, or a buck or two, Mike.

And they update regularly through the day. They also read where you are via GPS, which can be an incredibly cool feature for those not familiar with every square of all the parks. Say, for example, you're at Tower and want to know how to get to Min and Bill's. pull it up and it will give you the full menu, tell you how far you are from it, and guide you via rotating GPS arrow.

Not a big deal for regular guests, outside of the full menu I suppose, but pretty nice for a first time guest. Or a guest that doesn't go that often.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Doc, I used the Undercover Tourist app when we were there in December, and the posted wait times in the parks are very accurate.

I noticed they were updating them far more regularly than they used to, as well.

It's odd. Almost like these guys know how to operate a theme park, or something.
    I used the UT app when it first came out...it was OK, but it was slow to load. Maybe it got better.

I've use Lines, which is the TouringPlans app, and it worked REAL well. Used it (and a touring plan) on our post-cruise WDW days last summer. Worked GREAT on some very crowded days with a group of 8. Only got Fastpasses a few times that I remember.

It's mostly based on predictions of crowds, but they do really well. Within a degree of error that didn't matter to me.

And I don't trust any wait time indicator, including the one in front, when it comes to Test Track.
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    I used the UT app when it first came out...it was OK, but it was slow to load. Maybe it got better.

I've use Lines, which is the TouringPlans app, and it worked REAL well. Used it (and a touring plan) on our post-cruise WDW days last summer. Worked GREAT on some very crowded days with a group of 8. Only got Fastpasses a few times that I remember.

It's mostly based on predictions of crowds, but they do really well. Within a degree of error that didn't matter to me.

And I don't trust any wait time indicator, including the one in front, when it comes to Test Track.
    I've had the same luck with TP Lines and also with which days to visit which parks advice especially during high season visits. My DS has loaded this app too along with a chunk of his CM colleagues, they too have found it to be useful.

And yeah, TT posted times have their issues and a handful of others between the parks. I learned early on when traveling with young kids, while WDW was expanding quickly, long before the internet was like it is now, I bought Birnbaum books for fluff. Birnbaum was sanctioned by WDW and was sold on property. I bought the Unofficial Guide for tell it like it is, candid, unofficial advice which Disney didn't sell on property.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    I've never actually paid for a touring plan of any sort. I've been to WDW enough times now to know when to go and when not to go. If I miss an attraction because the wait time is too long, whatever. I'll hit it next year. I'm not going to cry myself to sleep because I didn't get to ride Pirates or Pooh. Nor am I going to check anticipated calendars created last year to know when it might be safe to visit the parks in the following year.

I can see where a first time visitor might value this information, and it's fine if they need to pay for it. Most of this stuff is free on the internet, though.
    I've only done two solo trips and that is also how I was. A great way to visit every now and then.
    When I went down to visit my DS I wanted to visit TT one last time the old way, I arrived at WDW the last day before TT went into Rehab, that was my only Must Do, though I really wanted to visit Circus too. I did both the late afternoon/night I arrived and the balance of the attractions were by the seat of my pants the rest of the trip.
    Have to say I enjoyed touring with that attitude.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post

Yeah, they've obviously made the UT app better, because it was fantastic for us. You can pull down for a manual update that happens almost in real time using WDW Wi-Fi.

I was happy with the performance, and happy with the accuracy of the wait times. We timed some out on our phones and the margin of error was right around 2-3 minutes. With the exception of one that ended up being way off, but that was also the one that my son was carrying a red card through.

But, as I said before, I don't trust anybody who tells you wait times are 71/43/39 minutes. That's simply trying to be a little too cute for me. And disingenuous at best. Whether it's WDW, or your local DMV. Cutting wait times into 1 minute increments is just silly.
    Last edited by Mo Noyz; 03-29-2013 at 06:27 AM.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324