Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Test Track 2012 Update in the News & Rumors forums; Taken from the Disney World blog: Beginning this fall, Epcot guests will be able to enjoy a re-imagined version of the popular Future World attraction, Test Track presented by Chevrolet. ...
    StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder

Test Track 2012 Update

Taken from the Disney World blog:
    Beginning this fall, Epcot guests will be able to enjoy a re-imagined version of the popular Future World attraction, Test Track presented by Chevrolet.

This new version of the attraction will transform the current testing workshop into the sleek “Chevrolet Design Center at Epcot,” where guests can become immersed in the fun – and fast – world of automotive design. Here, guests will become automotive designers and create their own custom vehicles. Next, they’ll buckle into a six-person SimCar ride vehicle and test out their design on the challenging track of the Test Track course.

Afterward, guests can take a fascinating look into the future of transportation by viewing a collection of the latest Chevrolet vehicles in an all-new showroom.

This fun new experience is the result of a renewed, multi-year business relationship between Disney and General Motors, companies that have worked together for more than 30 years.

StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Test Track 2012 Update

Sounds like its being turned into a simulator.
    The idea is very cool, but I think I'll miss parts of the ride. Hopefully they'll find some way to keep the Highway speeds test portion of the attraction at least.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Unless this is going to be part of a post-show experience? I couldn't see them taking away the exterior portion of the ride.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Yeah, definitely has to be post show. Why would they take away the entire ride?

I still hope they do something about the queue.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Plus, the way Disney drags their heels on projects, there's no way (as far as I can guess) that they'd be planning on having a new ride opening in the fall and still have the old one in place in January. HelI, it took them a year to redo Star Tours and for some reason, they had to close the entire thing up when all they did was replace some simulator cars. They could have done that one at a time and kept the ride going.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

The most befuddling complete shutdown in their history has to have been the Space Mountain "refurb".

I had no problem with it, but why was it closed for so long? For those silly video games?

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Plus, the way Disney drags their heels on projects, there's no way (as far as I can guess) that they'd be planning on having a new ride opening in the fall and still have the old one in place in January. HelI, it took them a year to redo Star Tours and for some reason, they had to close the entire thing up when all they did was replace some simulator cars. They could have done that one at a time and kept the ride going.
    If they had kept the ride going, they couldn't have hyped it nearly as much.

I don't think any part of the ride is being "removed" - they are using some nextgen stuff in the ride queue area, getting rid of all that annoying noise, etc. The queue will be more interactive, where you are "designing" your car. How much of that design actually gets put to the test on the actual track remains to be seen...the track system certainly needs an overhaul, however.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post

I don't think any part of the ride is being "removed" - they are using some nextgen stuff in the ride queue area, getting rid of all that annoying noise, etc. The queue will be more interactive, where you are "designing" your car. How much of that design actually gets put to the test on the actual track remains to be seen...the track system certainly needs an overhaul, however.
    Doc... I'm with ya... They seem to be reimaging the concept of the attraction... Not the actual ride itself... I am thinking that the track will be worked on...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Looking at the DisneyParks blog where they announced it, I can see where people are thinking they are turning in to a typical simulator - but they aren't. They are simply calling the vehicles "sim cars" - but they are still the same cars (well, hopefully updated).
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Hopefully the entire system is updated. That ride has been the king of breakdowns from the day it (finally) opened.

Just saw this on WDWNT:

"As part of the re-imagining, the Future World attraction will feature a sleek new “Chevrolet Design Center at Epcot” immersing Guests in the fascinating world of automotive design. Amid upbeat music, engaging media, dramatic lighting and a collection of Chevrolet concept cars and model vehicles, guests themselves will become automotive designers – and peer into the future of personal transportation in the process.

At interactive design and styling workstations, Guests will be able to create their own custom concept vehicles. The adventure will then shift into high gear as Guests buckle into their 6-person “SimCar” ride vehicle and put their design through its paces on the exhilarating hills, switchbacks and straight-aways of the Test Track circuit.

Their performance testing complete, Guests will move into a post-show area filled with special effects and be scored on how well their custom concept vehicle did. And of course, Guests will be able see the very latest Chevrolet vehicles in an all-new state-of-the-art showroom."

This seems to make it clear that the design stage will be part of an interactive queue, and that the test stage will still be the good ol' track we're all used to.

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka

I'm a bit confused about the language in the official release. Initially, I thought the new design center would be part of the post-show, but then why would they have to shut the entire attraction down? Are guests actually going to design some elements before riding the attraction (in its existing physical track state) that will have some impact on things that happen during the ride? The word "SimCar" seems to imply that this won't be on the actual track, but in some type of simulator, which is why I thought it would be in the post-show. Has anyone else seen any other information that is more straight forward without the ambiguous language?
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

They will be having guests create sim cars... Using the tech from Radiator Springs Racers... They have talked about seeing this tech in action... And then inputting it in TT...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    And there ya have it! Not like the first time we've seen this. Look even at the last few times they shuttered a simple ride like The Land and the experience never really changed for all the time it was down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Yeah, definitely has to be post show. Why would they take away the entire ride?

I still hope they do something about the queue.
    They have to be keeping the driving experience, they have been testing driving the new cars out for months already.

Anybody have a date for closing or is it already closed?
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Hypermommy is offline Fastpass Holder

It sounded like they are going to re-do the pre-show, based on them saying that guests would design cars and "next" ride them. I hope so.... the preshow at TT is kind of boring and noisy. They have the technology to make this so much more than a bunch of automated test robots operating. It'll be fun to see what they do and if they change the "tests" that are done during the actual ride.
    Hypermommy

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast