Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Snow White's Scary Adventures closes May 31st in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by doconeill We ARE getting an attraction - two, in fact, in the Ariel Undersea Adventure and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train coaster. They may not be the thrill ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Snow White's Scary Adventures closes May 31st

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    We ARE getting an attraction - two, in fact, in the Ariel Undersea Adventure and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train coaster. They may not be the thrill rides as many hoped, but it's a lot more than we've gotten lately.

I think the days of the impromptu meetings with characters are long gone. As the parks became more crowded, and more information became available, and people wanting to meet characters grew, having them just wandering around kinda became impossible.

And although it's sad to see a "classic" attraction go away, it's not the first time it's happened, and it doesn't seem like SWSA was terribly high on people's must-do lists.
    I'm guessing most members above realize by now that we ARE getting 2 attractions, most of us are not that inept. I believe you missed our lack of love for a meet & greet for that specific attraction space or found the need to state the obvious, not sure which. Since we are years into the expansion most of us regulars on this thread are likely aware that Ariel and the Dwarfs ARE coming to the Expansion. I apologize if you just learned about these two attractions today and thought you were reporting breaking news.

After the first week or two of the Official Meet and Greet for Mickey, it has been a real dud. Fastpass the vast majority of the time unnecessary. The New Mickey Meet and Greet actually has LESS traffic than SWSA does. I agree Disney is trying to pretend that Meet N Greet direction is attraction-like, however from attendance, it is a "FAIL" much like their other recent decisions. So what does Disney do, repeat the same mistake in the same park. The New Disney.

At least when they took out Mr. Toad they replaced it, in the same space with an attraction, While many miss Mr. Toad, Pooh is very popular. But that was The Old Disney.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Quote Originally Posted by JNota0005DakMC View Post
    That is kind of what I was thinking in that sense...
    And I believe it is the Disney idea of spend very little and confuse the guest into thinking by putting a fastpass in front of the door to a meet and greet, they are providing the guest with something exciting.

If it was demanded by the public, Mickey meet and greet would be popular. If it was a danger, no way would they have meet and greets in the World Showcase.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I'm guessing most members above realize by now that we ARE getting 2 attractions, most of us are not that inept. I believe you missed our lack of love for a meet & greet for that specific attraction space or found the need to state the obvious, not sure which. Since we are years into the expansion most of us regulars on this thread are likely aware that Ariel and the Dwarfs ARE coming to the Expansion. I apologize if you just learned about these two attractions today and thought you were reporting breaking news.

After the first week or two of the Official Meet and Greet for Mickey, it has been a real dud. Fastpass the vast majority of the time unnecessary. The New Mickey Meet and Greet actually has LESS traffic than SWSA does. I agree Disney is trying to pretend that Meet N Greet direction is attraction-like, however from attendance, it is a "FAIL" much like their other recent decisions. So what does Disney do, repeat the same mistake in the same park. The New Disney.

At least when they took out Mr. Toad they replaced it, in the same space with an attraction, While many miss Mr. Toad, Pooh is very popular. But that was The Old Disney.
    Wow...sorry for actually participating in the thread. You were the one that said, "So we get meet and greets instead of an attraction." This was just one part of the project, which includes two major attractions, and expanded classic attraction, and a few minor attractions. I was simply enumerating them.

And I never said I WANTED a meet and greet either. But it was always planned that they would have one as part of it - it just wasn't originally planned to replace an existing attraction.

Not really sure why you think you now need to treat me like a newb.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Zipadeedooda is offline Fastpass Holder

Completely ridiculous to have a meet and greet replace a classic attraction. There are plenty of meet and greets around already
    Noah

Where Magic Lives

"its a glorious three hour finale I call A Tribute to all Nations but Mostly AMERICA!"

"Now approaching Tomorrowland's Space Mountain"

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Quote Originally Posted by Zipadeedooda View Post
    Completely ridiculous to have a meet and greet replace a classic attraction. There are plenty of meet and greets around already
    My problem is there are plenty of EMPTY buildings sitting around that could house a meet and greet. I know things need to change, even Walt said so. But c'mon, do we need another meet and great? Can't SWSA be included somewhere near the new coaster? Here's a free tip for WDI, how about you build a ride that incorporates portions of the calssic rides that have gone bye-bye? You could use doom buggy type vehicles and move people through scenes from Toad, 20k etc.

By the way, why can't we keep conversations civil around here any more?
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

I have to agree with the posts above re: the reusing the space for the meet and greet. See to me... when I first heard that it may be closing (months and months ago) as part of the Fantasyland changes I figured it was because they needed the space. Like maybe they'd be demo'ing that area or something for the wall or whatever. Finding out it's being demo'd but then the space will be used for a meet and greet just seemed backwards to me. If you don't *have* to demo it... why do it?

I am thinking the thought process was that there was going to be a new ride and area dedicated to Snow White and having the attraction on the opposite end, near Cinderella's castle, was a break in the new story they are trying to introduce. I get it... it just seems like the reason is backwards... like maybe they could've instead planned the expansion to tie the existing Snow White themed spot into the new.

I'd probably understand it more if it didn't have some of the longest lines every time we go, even during off-peak, too. The penchant for removing truly popular attractions is one I'll never understand. When it's due to a change in sponsor or something then ok maybe it makes a little more sense, but when you do it, really just to do it... I dunno I lose the sense in there.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Ayhab is offline D-Ticket Holder

Eh, I was much more upset when Mr Toads Wild Ride shut down.
    Ayhab the Arab
    It's amazing to think that this all started with one little mouse.

I just don't get the love for Toad. I rode it once and from what I remember it was mostly cut outs on motors on what should be best enjoyed while on a LSD trip. I'd trade Toad and SWSA right now straight up for the return of 20K.
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

revtigger is offline A-Ticket holder

Snow White is a beautiful attraction and it is sad to see it go. I am though really looking forward to the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train coaster.
    MY DISNEY TRIPS
    April 1995 - Disneyland (offsite – Park Vue Econo Lodge) Honeymoon
    May 2004 - Disneyland (offsite – Tropicana Inn)
    October 2005 - WDW (All Star Movies); Disney Wonder (3 night Bahamas Cruise)
    November 2005 - Disneyland (offsite – Tropicana Inn)
    September 2007 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne)
    February 2009 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel New York)
    December 2010 / January 2011 - Disneyland (Grand Californian Hotel); WDW (Animal Kingdom Lodge); Disney Wonder (15 night Panama Canal Cruise); Disneyland (Paradise Pier Hotel)
    August 2011 - Hong Kong Disneyland (Hollywood Hotel)
    Oct/Nov 2011 - Disneyland (Disneyland Hotel); WDW (Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk Villas & Polynesian); Disney Dream (4 & 3 night back to back Bahamas Cruise); WDW (Bay Lake Tower & Animal Kingdom Lodge); Disneyland (Grand Californian)

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

I just rode snow white for the last time yesterday I am annoyed by the fact that they are getting rid if a classic for yet another meet and greet, especially with all the meet and greets they have put in recently on Main St. And other locations. Not to mention the rupenzel meet and greet going in where the fantasyland skyway used to be. It's too much, I would have been a little happier with a newer attraction there, but enough with the meet and greets already!!
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

Not Our Dino is offline A-Ticket holder

Location, location, location...

Think about it- a family with children could now spend an entire day just in that area of the park. The little ones would never want to leave in the first place and, now with the meet and greet station there, why would they need to? I'll be missing SWSA like the rest of you, but it really does make sense to have a character station right in the Time's Square of Disney Parks.

Also, this seems like another step towards supply outweighing demand with character photo ops. When it was randomized and you never knew who you might run into, there was a certain mystery or "luck" to finding Mickey in the park. Now, with characters stationed all over the place, maybe the opportunities are becoming too abundant and the pictures are losing that magical feel? That might be why interest is fading/ lines are shrinking.

Also, this is my first thread post. Hi!

RevTigger:

I'm right there with ya. I hope it is a good new coaster. Still not happy Disney chose to delete an attraction for the birth of 2 more.

DopeyDancer: I could not have said it better.

Not Our Dino: Welcome!

I wholeheartedly agree with the over saturation. And it is difficult enough to have small children queued up up for attractions, now formal queues for a 10 second photo op. I am getting a kick out of how many are by-passing Mickey and the Princesses already where they are. Sometimes it takes a while before Disney to catch on to Guests trends.

I on the other hand do not agree about families staying in Fantasyland and not wanting to leave. My kids are/were 5 years apart, my DS being 5 years older than DD. DS 1st trip was at 14 months. He loved the Pirates and the Haunted Mansion along with the Jungle Cruise. The Bears made him laugh and he could have ride the train over and over. We went every year and he would have hated being stuck in Fantasyland and/expansion. I know he would not have tolerated standing in a queue to visit with the Princesses. He barely tolerated Small World, the Dolly place. He like Toad wasn't,and then he was a Turtle guy by 4. I think that is part of the problem with Fantasyland, some of these young guys are going to object to so much being based on Princess movies. They could have expanded Fantasy anyway they wanted, it didn't have to be so Princessie. There is more to Fantasy than Princesses. Oddly enough my DD 5 years younger was never much into Princesses either unless she con'd her Daddy into playing the board game Pretty Pretty Princess.

clj2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Does anyone know what's going on in the SWSA space right now? Have they started work, or is it just sitting there? I was thinking they were going to keep it open until the Mine Train was ready to open (which is still a couple of years off).

It would be cool if they could incorporate a few of the props from SWSA in to the Mine Train to pay homage to the original.
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

WDW Imagineers usually incorporate elements of the original ride in the replacement ones. I'm pretty certain that they'll do that here as well.

And I agree with Gabe, Disney can be behind the times when it comes to Guest trends and sometimes they are in front of the curve. I think though, they are missing the boat on this one.

And welcome aboard, Not Our Dino. Don't be too afraid of the locals around here. They bark and yip a lot, but rarely bite...hard.

Quote Originally Posted by clj2 View Post
    Does anyone know what's going on in the SWSA space right now? Have they started work, or is it just sitting there? I was thinking they were going to keep it open until the Mine Train was ready to open (which is still a couple of years off).

It would be cool if they could incorporate a few of the props from SWSA in to the Mine Train to pay homage to the original.
    I have no idea if SWSA is just sitting there but I too remembered after they revised Fantasyland and dumped the fairies, part of the announcement was the Dwarf Coaster was that they were going to keep SWSA open until Dwarf was nearing completion but the attraction would be lost to a princess meet and greet, closing somewhere late in 2013 as I recall.

On May 31st I thought, OMG somebody hit me in the head with the "stupid stick."

I generally pride myself in being able to put the pieces of a puzzle together and I totally missed it on this one, why would they close this attraction during the start of the summer season and why so much sooner than originally anticipated. Duh. Snow White and Huntsmen opened on June 1st. D'oh. A Universal Picture. They closed just in time not to be fueling the new picture for the competition. Further, they left Snow White out of the naming of the new coaster. Oy again. It did strike me as odd that it was "just" the Dwarf coaster, at least for now, anything could change later, but for now, Snow White at the Magic Kingdom just seems to be on the outs with the Fantasyland expansion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast