Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Statement from Disney about tragedy in the News & Rumors forums; Posted June 14, 2005, 10:10 AM EDT On Monday, June 13, at approximately 3:30 p.m., Reedy Creek Emergency Services was called to Mission: Space at Epcot to care for a ...
    Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL

Statement from Disney about tragedy

Posted June 14, 2005, 10:10 AM EDT

On Monday, June 13, at approximately 3:30 p.m., Reedy Creek Emergency Services was called to Mission: Space at Epcot to care for a child who was unresponsive. The ride was shut down, and the guest was transported to the hospital.

Unfortunately, we were later advised that the guest passed away. The Orange County Sheriff's Office arrived at the scene and conducted an investigation before turning the attraction back over to Walt Disney World.

Engineers and ride system experts with Walt Disney World also conducted a thorough evaluation and inspection and determined that the ride is operating normally. Based on their findings, the attraction opened as scheduled today.

The safety of our guests and cast remains our top priority. On behalf of the Walt Disney World Resort and its 57,000 cast members, we are saddened by this highly unusual event. Our first concern is for the family and we are doing everything we can to help them during this difficult time.

Source: Orlando Sentinel
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder
    Sad. My family and I were at Epcot yesterday until about 3:00 when we went to MGM. We didn't ride M:S as my girls are too small. But I will think twice about letting them ride it until we find out exactly what happened.

Thoughts and prayers to the child's family.
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

WDW Donna is offline Much too far from the Magic :(
    Very sad what happened to the little boy. I know hindsight is 20/20 but I wouldn't let my 4year old on that ride even if he/she did meet the height requirements. Their bodies are not developed enough for a ride of that force. My 8year old and I changed our minds while waiting in line last October. The ride kept shutting down for brief periods of time.
    Friends of ours have been on MS and they said it was too intense even for the adults.
    It is too bad Disney is having such problems with this attraction. Maybe there will have to be new limits instead of just height, for a child such as age.

EpcoT International Program June 21-January 21 1991
    Resorts we have tried;
    Yacht and Beach Club (our wedding)-1994
    All Star Movies -2004
    All Star Sports - 2006
    All Star Music Resort - 2008
    Coronado Springs -2009

zcook9 is offline Not close enough to the magic!

New requirements?

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Donna
    Very sad what happened to the little boy. I know hindsight is 20/20 but I wouldn't let my 4year old on that ride even if he/she did meet the height requirements. Their bodies are not developed enough for a ride of that force. My 8year old and I changed our minds while waiting in line last October. The ride kept shutting down for brief periods of time.
    Friends of ours have been on MS and they said it was too intense even for the adults.
    It is too bad Disney is having such problems with this attraction. Maybe there will have to be new limits instead of just height, for a child such as age.
    I agree with what everyone is saying, but how are they going to decide who is "fit"/ "healthy" enough to go on some of these rides?
    Myself, nothing that spins, ie...Dumbo, Magic Carpets of Aladdin, etc... but I love roller coasters.
    Laura
    DISNEY SCRAPPER