Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Storybook Circus area soft opening in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by HauntedGabe I saw something else in Storybook that I don't understand. At the new Train Station, the Water Tower for the train...It had previously been decorated as ...
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Storybook Circus area soft opening

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I saw something else in Storybook that I don't understand.

At the new Train Station, the Water Tower for the train...It had previously been decorated as a circus tent, the actual tower structure was designed with the multiple flat sides just like a circus tent and a pointy top.

Disney in the last few days re-installed the Water Tower at the new Station. The Tower is no longer a tent, it was redecorated with an old rusty brown look and done. It is perfectly fine however the Station sits in Storybook Circus with several Circus Tents, so the reason to de-circus tent the tower and replace with rust.........?
    Best I can figure, and I have no idea if I'm anywhere near close... the original concept for Mickey's Toontown Fair (after they changed from Birthdayland and Starland) was that the fair was a temporary thing, passing through towns like any other fair would. I would imagine that a circus is the same concept, a temporary attraction in town for a limited amount of time. The water tower and train station in that town, however, would not be temporary, so it's the existing water tower the city built way back when. Maybe.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

I don't believe StoryBook Circus is being billed as a temporary area of the Expansion. They have spend considerable amounts of money in this area. Just the Dumbo's and queue are very extensive and they are still building the water and tot train area. The 2 tents have been reconstructed to withstand hurricanes. My impression is the area is being built to stay. It isn't a big deal about the water tower, it is the same one just re-decorated in rust. I just found it funny that they took a circus item out of a circus.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

It's not a temporary expansion. The theme of the circus area should feel 'tentative'. Visit today! The rest of the area is there to stay. It would stand to reason, as it is a circus. With the old fair theme, the toons lived there and the fair was in town that day.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    It's not a temporary expansion. The theme of the circus area should feel 'tentative'. Visit today! The rest of the area is there to stay. It would stand to reason, as it is a circus. With the old fair theme, the toons lived there and the fair was in town that day.
    I'm obviously missing your point."The theme of the circus area should feel tentative? Visit today! Are you saying Storybook property and attractions that they are building are only very temporary and we need to visit in a hurry like today? Or are you saying that the the attractions are going to stay on that real estate and and it will be rethemed and no longer be a Storybook Circus Theme? Tentative, meaning all the interactive queues water areas, etc will be something else and only the rest of the Fantasyland expansion is here to stay. I'm trying to wrap my brain around "the theme of the circus area should feel tentative. Visit today!" This is the first I've heard this so you need to elaborate what has transpired for me. I have not seen this anywhere else dubbed as tentative, point me in that direction please.
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 03-26-2012 at 08:54 PM.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

A quick search online brought me to, of all places, WDW Radio's podcasts. Wow, this was the first time I've listend to one of Lou's shows. Ever. Not a bad job, although this Korkis guy walks way too much and Lou never bothers to reel him in. Give a listen if you haven't already and you'll hear exactly what I was trying to say. Only in a more cohesive (if not longwinded) explanation. Good to see I was right on, even though I had no idea what i was talking about.

http://www.wdwradio.com/2010/02/show...ruary-21-2010/

Now if I could only find the original article I read on this, we'd be set. But the podcast did a prety good job of detailing what I was trying to say.
    Last edited by supernova; 03-26-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Listening. So far just about the now closed Mickey's Toon Town Fair. Not the Storybook Circus Fantasyland expansion.

mickeytoo is offline Imagineer in heart and soul...!

I thought the overlying theme of Fantasyland facade was supposed to be a fair/festival?
    You are correct.
    In my copy of "The Imagineering Field Guide to the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World" it is stated as such.
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
    ~ you know who

A quick search online brought me to, of all places, WDW Radio's podcasts. Wow, this was the first time I've listend to one of Lou's shows. Ever. Not a bad job, although this Korkis guy walks way too much and Lou never bothers to reel him in. Give a listen if you haven't already and you'll hear exactly what I was trying to say. Only in a more cohesive (if not longwinded) explanation. Good to see I was right on, even though I had no idea what i was talking about.

http://www.wdwradio.com/2010/02/show...ruary-21-2010/

Now if I could only find the original article I read on this, we'd be set. But the podcast did a prety good job of detailing what I was trying to say.
    Still listening but you are going to owe me big if you made me listen to this and you have confused Mickey's ToonTown Fair with Fantasyland Expansion StoryBook Circus. I'm going to want this hour of my life back.

OK, done. Now I want to pinch you really, really hard.

First I am going to take a stab that you never spent a whole heck of a lot of time back in Mickey's Birthdayland aka Starland aka Mickey's ToonTown. Brief history Disney gave their imagineers 3 months to create a temporay land for Mickey's 60th Birthday. The original tent was was for a Birthday celebration. It was never intended to be a perminent land just for about 18 months. Yet it was popular and they removed some stuff added some stuff and a small coaster and tossed out the animals and playground. The temporariy land lasted over 20 years.

The podcast you sent me to is the farewell to Mickey's ToonTown Fair before they squished it to make room for a portion of the Fantasyland expansion. What you are jumbling up is the Fair was to be temporary, the Storybook Circus was never to be temporary.

From the original announcement and concept art Dumbo was always to be moved next to the Barnstormer. The podcast goes back to February 2010 a few months after the announcement in 2009 at D23. By January 2011 Disney listened to the grips of fans and revamped some of the plans. First dumped was Pixie Hallow, enter Mine Coaster. Also dumped was the Snow White ride for a new meet and greet. Like the Barnstormer the Circus Tents were never intended to be dump'd during the Expansion, they were always meant to be repurposed. Disney actually improved upon these tents yet again adding major steel framing to these and totally recovering the tents.

Maybe you confused the former Mickey's ToonTown Fair and the Circus because Disney re-purposed the land, tents, coaster and one of the two Dumbo's? The old Dumbo is currently being refurbed to match the new one.

Yep I want that hour of my life back, that was not fun listening to them walk through Mickey's ToonTown Fair for a fond farewell. I spent a great deal of time back there when my kids were very very small.

mickeytoo is offline Imagineer in heart and soul...!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, what I think you're trying to say is that the attractions are permanent (for as long as Disney wants them to be, anyway), but that the theming is meant to give a temporary/tentative traveling circus "feel"...?
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
    ~ you know who

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

What Mike means (I think) is that Sorybook Circus should appear to be a temporary thing... Like hoe Barnum and Baileys is only in town for a few weeks... The essence of Mickeys Toontown Fair was that you happened to visit when the characters were in town and when the fair was going on... So the area is permanent but is supposed to look temporary like that the circus will eventually move on to the next town...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Thanks, Joe and other guy. That's what I was trying to say. It's also what's stated (in way too many words) in that podcast link as well. A county fair and a circus are traveling events, for lack of a better word. They don't stay in your city year-round. The Disney customer is there at the same time the fair/circus are there as well.
    Last edited by supernova; 03-27-2012 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Listening. So far just about the now closed Mickey's Toon Town Fair. Not the Storybook Circus Fantasyland expansion.
    Right. It's about the theming of Toontown Fair. Now replace "fair" with "circus" and the concept remains the same. Ringling Bros. takes down their tents after a week's run at Madison Square Garden. Cole Brothers take down their tents from parking lots after their shows are over. No circus sticks around every single day. And while the circus arrives with their new flashy tents and attractions, the town they are visiting might was founded centuries ago. Maybe they had money in their development budget to give their train station a face lift. However, that depleted the budget and they couldn't get around to giving their water tower a paint job. It has been around for a long time and is starting to rust. Maybe they will get around to it next year. But we won't know. We're only visiting their town today, while the water tower is rusty and the county fair (circus) is in full swing.

Not sure how else I can possilby break this one down.
    Last edited by supernova; 03-28-2012 at 07:15 AM.

TXTaylors5 is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by mickeytoo View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but, what I think you're trying to say is that the attractions are permanent (for as long as Disney wants them to be, anyway), but that the theming is meant to give a temporary/tentative traveling circus "feel"...?
    That's how I understood his post.
    Jennifer Bill (DisneyTaylors) Will (12) Emily (10) Cole (7)
    2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH(DLR), POR, SSR, BWV, POFQ; 2010: BWV (2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) ~ DCL(Wonder); 2011: BCV, AKV (2xs) ~ MNSSHP ~ MVMCP ~ F&W ~ DCL(Dream); 2012: BWV, AKV, BLT ~ F&W ~ MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy);
    Upcoming Disney Trips:
    2013:04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ Flower and Garden Festival & Expedition Everest Challenge, 12/VGC (DLR)
    2014: 06/DCL ~ Alaska (Wonder), 10/DCL ~ Southern Caribbean (Magic)

"Sparkly"

And then there were four.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast