Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Yet another lawsuit at WDW... in the News & Rumors forums; Suit: Disney Fired Woman Who Wore Hijab From Yahoo! news: ORLANDO, Fla. - Wearing a Muslim hijab, or head scarf, cost a woman both her jobs at Walt Disney World, ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

Yet another lawsuit at WDW...

Suit: Disney Fired Woman Who Wore Hijab

From Yahoo! news:

ORLANDO, Fla. - Wearing a Muslim hijab, or head scarf, cost a woman both her jobs at Walt Disney World, she says in a lawsuit.

"To stop you from working for practicing your religion doesn't seem right to me," Aicha Baha said Friday, several days after her civil-rights suit was served on the company. "There is a family here that is almost out on the street because of Disney."

Disney policy generally prohibits any headwear but Disney-issued hats and visors.

Disney spokeswoman Veronica Clemons said exceptions to the dress code for religious reasons are made on a case-by-case basis. "We do have cast members who have attire significant to their religions," she said.

Disney policy prohibits discussion of lawsuits, she told the Orlando Sentinel.

Baha, 32, worked at Walt Disney World from 1997 until mid-August 2002 and wore uniforms in her jobs as a part-time bellhop and a full-time sales clerk at Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort, according to interviews and the lawsuit she filed last week in federal court in Orlando.

She started wearing a hijab after taking maternity leave in 2002. She said her faith grew during that time.

"It wasn't something just for fun," she said. "It's like God is asking you to do it."

When she returned to her two jobs, she wore the scarf but her supervisors balked, she said.

Disney fired her from the part-time post because she refused to remove the scarf, the suit says. She was allowed to wear the scarf at her full-time job, but she quit after being transferred to a location where her sales commissions fell from as much as $700 a week to $40 a week, the lawsuit claims.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    It is very clear in the Disney handbook that you must fit the role and any extra 'stuff' on you is not accepted no matter what the background.

She knew what would happen.

ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder
    I hate these kinds of law suits. Isn't this why you are supposed to read the employee manual BEFORE taking the job?
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

Jennifer2003 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I'm interested in the job that gave 700.00 a week in commisions...that's almost more than I make in two weeks!!!

I'm in agreement...she knew it'd happen if it's in the manual...

judycats is offline D-Ticket Holder
    700 a week in commission AND you get to work in disney!! sign me up!!!

Xharryb is offline C-Ticket Holder
    You'd have to be selling an aweful lot of high ticket items to make 700 a week just in comission! I was surprised to find out when my ex worked for a jewelery store that they only get about 1% comission (it tends to vary anywhere from .5%-1.5% depending on the store).
    This space designated as a DRAMA FREE ZONE

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder

Sue happy

seems like everyone is sue happy these days