Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss New Changes for Passholder Room Discounts in the News & Rumors forums; From Mousesavers.com: Big Changes to WDW Annual Passholder Resort Discounts LAST UPDATE: 6/17/05 A new "Passholder Best Rate Program" has been rolled out as of June 17, 2005 that will ...
    disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!

New Changes for Passholder Room Discounts

From Mousesavers.com:
    Big Changes to WDW Annual Passholder Resort Discounts

LAST UPDATE: 6/17/05

A new "Passholder Best Rate Program" has been rolled out as of June 17, 2005 that will affect Annual Passholder resort reservations for check-ins starting October 8, 2005. Many aspects of this new program are unclear and there are currently no discounts released past October 4.

The new rules for Passholder Best Rate Program reservations for October 8 and later include:

Annual Passholder rates will only be bookable online (individuals can book themselves through disneyworld.com/passholders and travel agents can book their clients thorough the Disney travel agents web site).
    You must book AT LEAST 120 days in advance.
    A NONREFUNDABLE deposit of one night's room rate and tax is required at the time of booking.
    The Passholder can now book only ONE room (formerly it was up to 3) and the Passholder must be an adult.
    Ostensibly the Passholder Best Rate Program guarantees that Passholders will receive the "best room rate offered to the general public" (not including group rates, auction rates or rates conditioned on group/club memberships or other specified eligibility requirements) at that time for the room and nights booked. If Disney subsequently reduces the room rate "to the general public" for the same room and nights you booked online under this program, they will supposedly "automatically reduce your room rate to match that lower rate."

The new program raises many issues:

The "Best Rate Program" supposedly is available from 10/8/05 through 11/26/05 or 12/19/05 (depending on which source you consult). However, no discounts are currently showing up when you try to book any of those dates. I don't know if discounts are coming soon, or not at all.
    This leaves the Annual Passholder in a quandry: do you plunk down a nonrefundable deposit on your room reservation and hope that a discount becomes available later?
    The situation is especially confusing for someone who already has the AAA room-only discount, since if they book the "Best Rate Program" right now they'll lose the AAA discount, but maybe they'll get a deeper Annual Pass discount later. Or maybe not.
    It's unknown what "offered to the general public" means, exactly. Since many of the room discounts that have been offered in 2005 have come through private e-mails and postcards and have required a PIN code, one assumes those may not count as "general public" offers. AAA discounts would certainly fall into the category of "conditioned on group/club membership." In fact, there have been NO "general public" discounts on hotel rooms so far in 2005.
    Since you can only book this program online, and a current, activated Annual Pass is required in order to access the online booking, it appears that you'll no longer be able to book the Annual Pass rate until you purchase and activate an Annual Pass. That means first-time Annual Passholders won't be able to use the Best Rate Program unless they are willing to activate the pass 3 months in advance!
    For the time being, I would advise sitting tight and waiting to see if some of the issues above are clarified by Disney. Right now you're being asked to buy a pig in a poke by handing over a nonrefundable deposit and hoping for a possible discount further down the road. I don't think that's a wise choice.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

johnatthebar is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I saw this on disney.com earlier today and hoped there was something i was missing. For those of us who are local, planning ahead 120 days ahead is a bit trying when your used to Disney being a more spur of the moment decisions.

Its really dissapointing but I am hoping that becuase of the numerous issues this will raise they will modify it a bit. You'd think they would want to offer passholders last minute rates since its space that wouldnt otherwise be filled. I know if I decided I was going this weekend, and noticed on wed that all fo the sudden there was a signifigant rate drop at a value property I would certainly drop my reseverations at the travel lodge and spend the extra $20 to stay on property. This would fill beds for them and make it so that I would spend all the more time (and in turn, money) at WDW.

This looks like the official announcement, but I got it off Ears to Ears:

I hadn't seen this mentioned here yet so thought I would share...

Planning a vacation in a few months? Then it's time to try our
    Passholder Best Rate Program! Now Passholders booking a Disney Resort
    room online under the Passholder Best Rate Program at
    disneyworld.com/passholders can rest easy knowing they have received
    our best room rate offered to the general public* at that time for
    the room and nights booked. And, if we subsequently reduce our room
    rate to the general public for the same room and nights you booked
    online under this Program, we will automatically reduce your room
    rate to match that lower rate.

Rooms must be booked at least 120 days in advance and, unlike our
    normal cancellation policy, a non-refundable deposit of 1-night's
    room charge and tax must be paid at the time of booking. Currently
    this program is only available for arrivals through 12/19/05. The
    number of rooms and nights available for this Program is limited and
    rooms are not available every night. This Program is subject to
    change or discontinuance at any time and without notice.

* Does not include group rates, auction rates or rates conditioned on
    group/club memberships or other specified eligibility requirements.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)

There is a travel agent (lori) on Disney Echo http://new.disneyecho.emuck.com/cgi-...9;t=7634;st=10 with a lot more information about this program. It seems that it is not replacing the AP rate codes, but is a program in addition to it. The 'official' wording says they are only going to match the discounts offered to the general public, but in her research she has been told they will also match any AP rate code that comes out.

Now that would make some sense, in that you could book in advance and know that they would automatically apply the AP code discount, but it also would make it more difficult for those who wait for the codes to come out to get a room, because the rate would be applied to those with "best rate" ressies first. But this is not in writing yet from Disney, so there is some confusion as to what rates will be matched for sure. Plus, you're still stuck with the non-refundable deposit.

If anyone else has more info on this, please share!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)

Fonzi is offline A-Ticket holder
    Does anyone know if the AP rates are better than the Florida resident rates? And can the 2 be combined for even better rates?

Thanks

tiggerguy is online now All Around Good Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Fonzi
    Does anyone know if the AP rates are better than the Florida resident rates? And can the 2 be combined for even better rates?

Thanks

Discounts are not generally combinable, it is one or the other.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    The problem I have with this new plan is that even though I renewed our APs in April I cannot access the passholder section on www.disneyworld.com. I e-mailed WDW and then said they are sorry, but I have to have an activated AP to access the information on the site. So, I have to wait until I get my APs in October to be able to reserve any rooms for the future. Go figure.

As I stated in another thread it seems like Disney may be on the way to eliminating all AP discounts, just like they did with the stockholder (you only had to own 1 share to be eligible) discounts several years ago. Nothing surprises me anymore. I guess I am getting too cynical in my old age.
    Last edited by Jiminy Cricket; 06-20-2005 at 09:50 PM.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

More info in today's update on http://www.mousesavers.com/newapdiscounts.html

JC - they have in this article how to enter your AP voucher numbers to get into the passholder site, if that helps.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    This new plan is confusing me
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

DisneyonaDime is offline Moderator
    I think Disney is finding out some of their loop holes and is trying to take out some of the backdoor discounts. The new program could be spun as a better program, but I don't think it will work out that way. Reducing the number of rooms, only making discounts from an Adult's Annual Pass, and making the lead time so long are just ways to close off those special deals. I'm still waiting to fully figure out what the program actually brings to the table.
    Chris
    Co-author of "Disney on a Dime"- now for sale !!!! Get our new book, plus some extra free goodies when you buy from our site-
    www.DisneyonaDime.com
    Find daily and weekly tips, updates, and now- our book.
    "You can drop a grand in Disney World like that!"- Frank Costanza

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    I agree. But hey, when you figure it all out, let me know!!!
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!