Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Fantasyland Update in the News & Rumors forums; Parks have been packed. What a horrible failure!...
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: Fantasyland Update

Parks have been packed. What a horrible failure!

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

New Fantasyland = packed parks?
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

WDW attendance for 2011: 47,439,000

Universal attendance for 2011: 13,718,000

Twice the number of parks, yet more than three times the attendance.

Or, if you want to go head-to-head

Magic Kingdom 2011 attendance with a good portion of Fantasyland closed: 17,142,000

Islands of Adventure with the 30% increase in attendance in 2011 from Pooterville being completely open: 7,674,000

Gee, two 110 acre parks. Why such a huge disparity in attendance figures?

Yes, we all know you fancy yourself a statistician. And we can al google numbers. No one even mentioned Universal and yet you keep drawing the comparison. Must keep you up nights.

All I asked was if you were crediting attendance with New Fantasyland. The economy has recovered, consumer spending is back up, vacationing overall has improved. This cannot all be becauase Disney threw a few radom walls up in Fantasyland, and gave us a dark ride and two restaurants?
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Show me the "failure".

Add some substance to your petulant posts.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Was "New Tomorrowland" branded as such? Or was it simply their 'new' Tomorrowland after an overhaul? I doubt the meeting for Tomorrowland's rebirth went the same as the one above in a last minute desperate scramble to come up with a name for a whole new land.

As HauntedGabe pointed out earlier, the two areas seem very disjointed. And these walls are about the most random thing they could have stuck in the way.

Maybe they should have just called it Failed'tsyland?
    I remember after Disneyland overhauled their Tomorrowland it was Indeed marketed as New Tomorrowland, I visited WDW a great deal around the time they remodeled Tomorrowland in the MK. I don't remember a major PR plan the the MK New Tomorrowland because it wasn't really New, it was a facelift and an unsuccessful one at that, they changed up some of the existing space but all and all the same 'ole anchors with new paint and lighting. Tomorrowland like Future World have both failed to keep up as their names indicate both slide right into yesteryear.

I'm still scratching my head as to why Disney opted to go forward with two conflicting architectural styles for Fantasyland Ancient and New. Disney reworked all the old facades in the last few years but staying in the ancient style. Worse Small World Facade is mainly ancient yet they slapped some Tangled Potty stone just around the entrance tunnel in a haphazard way, in hope to make SW blend with Pottyland, not only does it not transition, SW facade doesn't blend with its own entrance now so they are butchering the old attractions too.

Ever see one of those houses where the driveway goes down under the living space of a home and call it a garage? No matter how you see homeowners try and fix the homes appearance it is still that poor architectural design that there is no hope of fixing. That is how I'm viewing those walls plopped out there and you can't fix the transisition. Those walls in your photo are nice enough, yet they stick out like a sore thumb with all the old facade styles leading up to the new architectural design. It begs the question why would you do this?

So yeah, architecturally the blending is a fail. Mermaid queue is rated higher than the attraction, but Kudos, the BoG, is the crown Jewel of the entire expansion. Repeatedly that is the only item from FLE I hear fans saying is a must do, at least once.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Yes, we all know you fancy yourself a statistician. And we can al google numbers.
    But what we all know about statistics is numbers can be skewed and manipulated. You are a perfect example. In a given day on your last trip, you hit 4 parks in one day, correct? Two parks at the other resort in a day? So an attendance ding for each park in one day. So if a 4 park resort is going to hop and then compares itself to a 2 park resort that hops, the same guest doubles the attendance in the 4 park resort on a given day admission. Warped statistics and it isn't a true, sound measure. When in reality you spent one day at Universal Parks and one day at Disney Parks.

Nothing wrong with park hopping, it is encouraged, yet it does manipulate the statistics. There is a reason why Disney doesn't release its actual, official attendance numbers, the statistics would be very different but a good chunk of guests only hear and see what is spoon fed. The rest of us just chock it up to "funny money accounting" and we comprehend the manipulation of numbers and frankly don't care how the bean counters manipulate statistics. We look at them, know they are skewed and move forward.

If we wanted to manipulate you as a guest further statistically, the Universal resorts would demonstrate a higher interest rate in their parks. It would show greater amount of hours of attendance in both Universal Parks and short term attendance in the 4 Disney Parks making the argument that Universal parks deliver more hours of fun per park. It is so easy to manipulate statistics, that is why they are stand-by fallbacks, you can manipulate statistics to attempt to validate any position. It is similar to polls during an election, manipulate until you get the numbers. If you believed the poll statistics we should have a different president. Thankfully most are not nieve enough to buy into generic statistics and we know the difference between qualitative and quantitative data.
    Disney not releasing their actual attendance numbers to the general public is a wise marketing move on their part.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I'm still scratching my head as to why Disney opted to go forward with two conflicting architectural styles for Fantasyland Ancient and New. Disney reworked all the old facades in the last few years but staying in the ancient style. Worse Small World Facade is mainly ancient yet they slapped some Tangled Potty stone just around the entrance tunnel in a haphazard way.
    For me, I do get the concept of the new expansion, though it wasn't from my visit there. The expanded area is outside the castle walls, while the original Fantasyland is inside the castle grounds, I guess? So this forest area is beyond the walls, hence those randomly placed walls I posted earlier. Which further lends fuel to my original argument of why call it New Fantasyland? I figured Enchanted Forest or some other such nonsense would have made more sense.

So yeah, architecturally the blending is a fail. Mermaid queue is rated higher than the attraction, but Kudos, the BoG, is the crown Jewel of the entire expansion. Repeatedly that is the only item from FLE I hear fans saying is a must do, at least once.
    Congratulations, Disney. You've created your own most popular restaurant. If only they hadn't forgotten to give guests a few more worthwhile reasons to visit there. While I was there in January, I was in New Fantasyland for literally five minutes, if even that. I already saw the Little Mermaid ride through online and it had zero appeal for me, and since the ride isn't going anywhere, there wasn't any reason to stand on line for over an hour to ride it. Give it a while and things will quiet down.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

I'm guessing that eventually we will hear about a final phase of the project, which will be to update facades of the "original" Fantasyland to blend in...which, if it required closures, they really couldn't do while the rest of it was being done. Although in theory such work shouldn't take long.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

UBMICK35000 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    I'm guessing that eventually we will hear about a final phase of the project, which will be to update facades of the "original" Fantasyland to blend in...which, if it required closures, they really couldn't do while the rest of it was being done. Although in theory such work shouldn't take long.
    And while they were updating the facades they could also be installing any more interactive queues that they might be planning.
    [indent]Who says you have to grow up? - Walt Disney

07 / 1990 off property
    09 / 1992 off property
    06 / 1997 Wilderness Lodge
    07 / 2000 Port Orleans
    06 / 2002 Wilderness Lodge
    12 / 2003 Grand Floridian
    09 / 2005 Disneyland Hotel
    09 / 2006 Boardwalk
    06 / 2007 Contemporary
    06 / 2008 Riverside
    03 / 2009 Caribbean Beach
    10 / 2010 Yacht Club
    05 / 2011 Polynesian
    12 / 2011 Disneyland Hotel
    06 / 2012 Disney Magic
    05 / 2013 'Grand' Californian
    12 / 2013 'Grand' Floridian

2009 D23 Charter Member

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    They should, but that would be the Do It Twice To Get It Right. They just did PP in 2010-11

And they redid Pooh when they moved Pooh Stuff around for the FLE and have worked that queue twice now.

And Messed with SW too.

and then they just stoned the entrance arch.

Thom Morrow is offline B-Ticket Holder

It's kind of unfortunate how discussion swings on this site. Why is there such a hellbent desire to trump Disney with comparisons to Universal? Why does it matter? Park hopper, schmark hopper. How many guests attend Universal in any given week and do not also attend Disney? Again, who cares?

Why someone who hates on everything Disney does and states their own ambivalence to new projects continues trolling a board of a site created by people very enthusiastic about Disney is beyond me. Find an outlet for your frustrations somewhere that you don't alienate people and scare people away so effectively. It would be lovely to have a place where people could discuss all things Disney without being talked down to, condescended, and constantly have to wade through negativity.

And Messed with SW too.

and then they just stoned the entrance arch.
    Next they need to just stone some of these Imagineers.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Morrow View Post
    It's kind of unfortunate how discussion swings on this site. Why is there such a hellbent desire to trump Disney with comparisons to Universal? Why does it matter? Park hopper, schmark hopper. How many guests attend Universal in any given week and do not also attend Disney? Again, who cares?

Why someone who hates on everything Disney does and states their own ambivalence to new projects continues trolling a board of a site created by people very enthusiastic about Disney is beyond me. Find an outlet for your frustrations somewhere that you don't alienate people and scare people away so effectively. It would be lovely to have a place where people could discuss all things Disney without being talked down to, condescended, and constantly have to wade through negativity.
    Counter viewpoints and alternate opinions? Gasp!
    HauntedGabe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Morrow View Post

I love the word troll, it makes me giggle. Usually those who accuse others of trolling need to take a look in the mirror. Troll is generally used as a direct hit insult to other members meant to alienate members. Their behavior is generally trollish when they insert rants meant solely to get a rise out of others and tick them off. Generally the rant does nothing to further the discussion at hand and is more negative in nature than the discussion. They usually troll threads themselves, make accusations, want to limit the scope of others opinions, thoughts and ideas to boundaries they themselves arbitrarily set.

See where I am going?

I love a great debate about topics, even those that are general discussions having nothing to do with Disney. I could editorialize at length today about the weather and the wind chill we are experiencing here. What I don't really enjoy is when any member takes pot shots at members and makes it personal. If a member really hates riding the train, that member doesn't need to be classified as a hater or having a low IQ. It is an opinion, nothing more, nothing less. Be thankful we live in a country where we can have very different viewpoints.
    supernova likes this.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast