Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Pirates Themed Narnia Replacement in the News & Rumors forums; I'm sure by now many of you have seen this but thought I'd share... Opening this summer at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow has elicited something ...
    BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Talking Pirates Themed Narnia Replacement

I'm sure by now many of you have seen this but thought I'd share...

Opening this summer at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow has elicited something of a legend of its own. The word around the Parks is that this mysterious new attractionwill be a first-of-it’s-kind sensory experience in which guests will have a chance to be enveloped by the world of the Pirates of the Caribbeanas seen in the four feature films. Sounds intriguing.

To find out more, we had a chance for a friendly “parley” with Jason Roberts, Walt Disney Imagineering Project Manager and Show Producer for the new attraction. “This is going to be an immersive experience,” Jason told us. “We’ll really delve into the story of Captain Jack Sparrow and put our Guests in the middle of it all in new and exciting ways.

“Story is always the most important thing for us at Walt Disney Imagineering,” Jason continued. “But we’re always looking at new ways to tell the story that our Guests have never seen before. In this attraction, we’ll let you walk in the footsteps of Jack Sparrow. “It’s not ‘the making of’, not ‘behind the scenes’…it is really a firstperson experience.”

Jason wouldn’t divulge any of the state-of-the-art special effect trickery used in the attraction, but he did assure us that the attraction is certain to elicit a “Wow! How’d they do that?” from our Guests. A long-time fan of the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction and films, Jason was delighted at his shot to work on the attraction. “We worked with the archives as well as the filmmakers while they were shooting the last movie,” Jason said. “And as a fan, I just loved sitting through those films again and again, going through all the details and leveraging them for this new experience. It’s really been a blast.”

Now this one I'll do (I had zero interest in Narnia)! DHS needs some fixing up and some new stuff and has for years. TSM was a great addition but really since the production studios shut down this park has needed help. Here's to hoping that once the work everywhere else is done, DHS will get some attention!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Pirates Themed Narnia Replacement

Yeh at least this will be a franchise that people enjoy.... And is still owned by Disney... I'll be down in August so I'll check it out and see if it's actually worth it for myself...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Zipadeedooda is offline Fastpass Holder

The opening date was pushed back to the fall
    Noah

Where Magic Lives

"its a glorious three hour finale I call A Tribute to all Nations but Mostly AMERICA!"

"Now approaching Tomorrowland's Space Mountain"

eeyore79 is offline Missing "HOME"

this sounds great!! hope it will be at dhs for a while!
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes..."

http://mydreamingcorner.blogspot.com/

Me (Jamie) - 34 DD (Kayla) - 7

TRIP REPORT AUGUST 2011 http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/showt...l=1#post972048

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Awesome... I'll be back down in December though this year so it's all good...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder

I actually really enjoy the Narnia franchise, but I wasn't at all impressed with that attraction. And with Fox having made the 3rd movie and then having the C.S. Lewis estate put a moratorium on it for the next few years it's only becoming more irrelevant.

A Pirates re-themeing should do well here. But I wonder if that attraction shouldn't just be scrapped all together... I'm not a very big fan of walk through attractions like that in the first place.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Narnia should never have been there in the first place.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

MedTG is offline A-Ticket holder

I am really looking forward to seeing what this is going to be. It certainly cannot be any more undewhelming than the Narnia attraction. In general I do not care for walk throughs, although I do love One Man's Dream. With all of the advances taking place with augmented reality and different fun games around the parks I think walk-throughs will become more exciting and appealing.

I feel like the studios as a park is doing pretty well though. I really wish they would start putting forth more of an effort to fix Future World in EPCOT.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Hope it is better than the Narnia exhibit was.

Quote Originally Posted by MedTG View Post
    I am really looking forward to seeing what this is going to be. It certainly cannot be any more undewhelming than the Narnia attraction. In general I do not care for walk throughs, although I do love One Man's Dream. With all of the advances taking place with augmented reality and different fun games around the parks I think walk-throughs will become more exciting and appealing.
    Remember... if crazy Walt had his way, Pirates would have been a walk-through museum. Thank god he surrounded himself with really creative people who weren't afraid to tell him "no".
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

UBMICK35000 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Remember... if crazy Walt had his way, Pirates would have been a walk-through museum. Thank god he surrounded himself with really creative people who weren't afraid to tell him "no".
    Wasn't Pirates changed to a float-thru because of "it's a small world"?

The Haunted Mansion was also supposed to be a walk-thru, remember "The Museum of The Weird"?
    [indent]Who says you have to grow up? - Walt Disney

07 / 1990 off property
    09 / 1992 off property
    06 / 1997 Wilderness Lodge
    07 / 2000 Port Orleans
    06 / 2002 Wilderness Lodge
    12 / 2003 Grand Floridian
    09 / 2005 Disneyland Hotel
    09 / 2006 Boardwalk
    06 / 2007 Contemporary
    06 / 2008 Riverside
    03 / 2009 Caribbean Beach
    10 / 2010 Yacht Club
    05 / 2011 Polynesian
    12 / 2011 Disneyland Hotel
    06 / 2012 Disney Magic
    05 / 2013 'Grand' Californian
    12 / 2013 'Grand' Floridian

2009 D23 Charter Member

Quote Originally Posted by UBMICK35000 View Post
    Wasn't Pirates changed to a float-thru because of "it's a small world"?

The Haunted Mansion was also supposed to be a walk-thru, remember "The Museum of The Weird"?
    And even still, Walt wanted to treat the Pirates area to be a true-to-life museum, not a fun tale that the Imagineers took over and created.

One of my favorite clips of Walt is him flubbing the name of the Haunted Mansion attraction. You can almost see Rolly Crump looking at Walt thinking, "Are you serious? Have you bothered reading ANY of the updates we've sent you???" House of Illusions my as$.

Next would have to be the tour guide from that same film making a joke to Walt and him taking it seriously. Even she is rolling her eyes at him.

MedTG is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Very true, although perhaps we would all feel differently if these walk-through variants were realized and we experienced them. It's impossible to say if they would have been good or bad. I certainly enjoy them as they are though.

Quote Originally Posted by MedTG View Post
    Very true, although perhaps we would all feel differently if these walk-through variants were realized and we experienced them. It's impossible to say if they would have been good or bad. I certainly enjoy them as they are though.
    Probably a lot more than you (we) would have enjoyed Walt's brilliant (ahem...) concept for Edison Square. For all the good ideas he had, he really did miss the mark sometimes. I can only imagine what other plans he had that were shelved by the people he surrounded himself with.

Quicklybroken is offline A-Ticket holder

I am hoping since they seemed to go out of the way to announce this change that it is something much better then the Narnia exhibit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast