Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Avatar Flight Simulator in the News & Rumors forums; According to wdwmagic.com and the New York Times some information for the new Avatar Land has been released. James Cameron has stated that one of the attractions will be a ...
    Zipadeedooda is offline Fastpass Holder

According to wdwmagic.com and the New York Times some information for the new Avatar Land has been released. James Cameron has stated that one of the attractions will be a flight simulator ride.
    http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions/...vatar-land.htm

Maybe it's just me, especially since I already do not like the idea of Avatar land, but don't we already have plenty of flight simulator rides in WDW. We have Mission:Space, Soarin', Star Tours 2.0, (we had Body Wars), and now this! That's nothing exciting or original. The three current simulators are already thrilling and top notch. The intensity of MS, the breathtaking feeling of Sorain, and the fun, random, and 3D effects of ST. What else could an Avatar ride bring, except combining the 3D of ST with the intensity of MS? It just seems like a waste of time to me
    Noah

Where Magic Lives

"its a glorious three hour finale I call A Tribute to all Nations but Mostly AMERICA!"

"Now approaching Tomorrowland's Space Mountain"

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Re: Avatar Flight Simulator

I'll wait until we get more info that "something that simulates flight". In a sense that's what roller coasters do as well nowadays. I want to see if there is something innovative, or is it just more of the same, such as using the old Body Wars simulators...
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

mickeytoo is offline Imagineer in heart and soul...!

Yea, simulator technology was all Magically fantastical when first introduced to Disney Park fans back in '87 with the original Star Tours. We were pretty blown away by it when we went on it the first year it was open. But, of course, the mere mention of a "simulator" does not illicit quite the excitement it did back then.
    Not a fan at all, at this point, of the whole Avatar thing in the first place. But, I'm hoping that Cameron may just be holding the cards close to his vest at this point and that they will have something really big in the works. 'Cause as others have said, if it's just more of the same, then what's the point? To a lot of us anyway.
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
    ~ you know who

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Guess we'll be on a tour mission for soarin' over Avatar land wars.

WDW1014 is offline Fastpass Holder

maybe more like peter pan just with 10x better technology lol
    Visits:
    91= Grand Floridan 01= All Star Sports 11= Music
    92= Grand Floridan 02= All Star Movies 12= Movies
    93= Caribbean Beach 03= Old Key West 13= Sports
    94= All Star Sports 04= Pop Century 14= Sports / Sports
    95= French Quarter 05= Pop Century
    96= Dixie Landing 06= Grand Floridan
    97= All Star Music 07= All Star Sports
    98= All Star Sports 08= Pop Century
    99= All Star Movies 09= All Star Sports
    00= All Star Music 10= All Star Music

disneyfan506 is offline A-Ticket holder

I think this would be awesome at Animal Kingdom. Thanks for sharing the news.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

The rumors are that the technology is that of Universals Transformers that just opened at Universal Orlando a month or so ago.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Puzzling, moving Lion King stage show theater for Avatar, today I read they will also have to move the Dawa bar.

With all the emptiness around AK I don't understand the tear downs and rebuilds. And to-boot AK isn't exactly land locked.

Disney World (Animal Kingdom) (Florida, United States) | Google Maps and Google Earth Sightseeing | Satellite Sights

Zooming in you can really see how far away the attractions are from each other.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Puzzling, moving Lion King stage show theater for Avatar, today I read they will also have to move the Dawa bar.

With all the emptiness around AK I don't understand the tear downs and rebuilds. And to-boot AK isn't exactly land locked.

Disney World (Animal Kingdom) (Florida, United States) | Google Maps and Google Earth Sightseeing | Satellite Sights

Zooming in you can really see how far away the attractions are from each other.
    I can't understand having to move the Dawa bar. It's nowhere near the Avatar area, and it's just a part of Tusker House really. But then I'm not sure precisely where the new theater is going other than the Africa section. If it is going near Tusker House somewhere, that might necessitate some changes. EDIT: I checked and the new theater IS going behind Tusker House. I don't see a need yet, but they may want to take some of that outside seating area to make the walkway large or something, and that might mean moving the bar a bit. But it does look like the path will be to the side of Tusker House - about the only path to the area behind where they can build over there.

The existing theater is within the area that was supposed to be Beastly Kingdom, but then only part of it was used for Camp Minnie Mickey, and the theater. Apparently the entire area will be allocated to Avatar, so they wanted to move the theater.
    Last edited by doconeill; 09-13-2013 at 09:38 AM.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    I can't understand having to move the Dawa bar. It's nowhere near the Avatar area, and it's just a part of Tusker House really. But then I'm not sure precisely where the new theater is going other than the Africa section. If it is going near Tusker House somewhere, that might necessitate some changes. EDIT: I checked and the new theater IS going behind Tusker House. I don't see a need yet, but they may want to take some of that outside seating area to make the walkway large or something, and that might mean moving the bar a bit. But it does look like the path will be to the side of Tusker House - about the only path to the area behind where they can build over there.

The existing theater is within the area that was supposed to be Beastly Kingdom, but then only part of it was used for Camp Minnie Mickey, and the theater. Apparently the entire area will be allocated to Avatar, so they wanted to move the theater.
    Boy, that is a lot of money they are spending to move existing stuff else where. In what 15 years the 3rd version of a theater for Lion King. Shouldn't happen.

Yes they are moving Dawa to put a larger path through there, so they can come across the bridge and head on down to Avatar. There is a path there but it isn't large enough for that much traffic. That now useless river messes stuff up. To bad they don't make use of it like a shuttle boat like the train at the MK or the boats around the world showcase.

I hope they are kind to Dawa, it is a cozy little spot. The outside seating for Tusker is really kinda useless. It was nice when Tusker was a QS to have the outside option back then, now that is kinda disposable.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Boy, that is a lot of money they are spending to move existing stuff else where. In what 15 years the 3rd version of a theater for Lion King. Shouldn't happen.

Yes they are moving Dawa to put a larger path through there, so they can come across the bridge and head on down to Avatar. There is a path there but it isn't large enough for that much traffic. That now useless river messes stuff up. To bad they don't make use of it like a shuttle boat like the train at the MK or the boats around the world showcase.

I hope they are kind to Dawa, it is a cozy little spot. The outside seating for Tusker is really kinda useless. It was nice when Tusker was a QS to have the outside option back then, now that is kinda disposable.
    I think you might be confusing paths...

The Dawa bar is nowhere near the path to where Avatar is going...it's where the new theater for Lion King is going.

The OLD path to the Lion King, which goes from the southwest of Discovery Island south to the "Beastly Kingdom" area, then over to the theater. That is the presumed Avatar area. Two paths already in to a large area.

I'm also guessing they are going to make the new theater larger...
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    I think you might be confusing paths...

The Dawa bar is nowhere near the path to where Avatar is going...it's where the new theater for Lion King is going.

The OLD path to the Lion King, which goes from the southwest of Discovery Island south to the "Beastly Kingdom" area, then over to the theater. That is the presumed Avatar area. Two paths already in to a large area.

I'm also guessing they are going to make the new theater larger...
    Duh! I knew better than that. Ooops.

Yeah, I'd hope they would make it larger but with Disney, who the heck knows, for a while there I thought they were really going to level it and forget it, it is a labor intensive show. Not any dip off the street can pull off those roles, so I thought there was a pretty good chance Disney would just let LK go bye-bye.

Animal Kingdom has been one misstep after the other from the beginning. Little air conditioning, their jungle heat philosophy, the river boat to nowhere, think they would have learned from the swan boats. Conservation train that land guests in an area barren of any real attraction(s), it isn't even an interesting journey on the train. And it is a hike after disembarking from the train to reach the nothingness. Now Disney's on their 3rd version of Lion King, Nets still around the Tree of Life, Yak & Yet still only open really for lunch, poor owners Then the off the rack coaster that has taken not one CM life but two, the crazy six flags type carnival game area, Oy. With the imagineering/construction costs Disney has sunk, they could have really built a terrific park, it's kinda sad to see the potential and what they are settling for.

JEANYLASER is offline B-Ticket Holder

I love it awesome! I can't wait for 2017!
    JEANY SANCHEZ

Disney had to hauled in a small pile of dirt, some shirts showed up stuck a shovel in it and called it 'breaking ground.' Find it interesting the Cameron was a no show.

A petty permit filed but construction permits not so much.

I thought they had already gotten some of the permits, but I could be thinking of something else.

Now that FOTLK is closed, they can start work pushing the "real" dirt around for a while.

I still can't believe we're more than two years in to this, and only now they _might_ be starting the real work, and we still don't really know what it will end up being aside from guessing at a couple of paintings...
    Doc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast