Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Expedition Everest Light Pole Falls At Animal Kingdom Onto Coaster in the News & Rumors forums; *sigh* Thanks for the misinformation disguised as fact. Not to mention two different misspellings. It is not "feter" as you first wrote, nor is it "feder" as you've now changed ...
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: Expedition Everest Light Pole Falls At Animal Kingdom Onto Coaster

*sigh*

Thanks for the misinformation disguised as fact. Not to mention two different misspellings. It is not "feter" as you first wrote, nor is it "feder" as you've now changed it to.

They are called feeder bands, and are small bands of thunderstorms that drift in from surroundings areas and feed into the main updraft of the hurricane itself. Hence the "feeding" of the storm.

And yes, it was already perfectly clear that it wasn't a hurricane or tropical storm since they don't simply pop up out of the blue. Hurricane force winds were first brought up by your compadre-in-confusion, HauntedGabe.

As for the rest of your post, I have no idea what you are talking about as I made no comments that could even be loosely translated as "wishing and hoping". I have already stated at least twice that anything can happen in high wind situation, no matter how well prepared you think things are. Having spent 32 years in Hurricane Alley, and seeing my share of storms up close and in person (most notably Hurricane Andrew in '92 which was a Cat 5), I'm very familiar with the concept.

SinisterEars is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    *sigh*

Thanks for the misinformation disguised as fact. Not to mention two different misspellings. It is not "feter" as you first wrote, nor is it "feder" as you've now changed it to.

They are called feeder bands, and are small bands of thunderstorms that drift in from surroundings areas and feed into the main updraft of the hurricane itself. Hence the "feeding" of the storm.

And yes, it was already perfectly clear that it wasn't a hurricane or tropical storm since they don't simply pop up out of the blue. Hurricane force winds were first brought up by your compadre-in-confusion, HauntedGabe.

As for the rest of your post, I have no idea what you are talking about as I made no comments that could even be loosely translated as "wishing and hoping". I have already stated at least twice that anything can happen in high wind situation, no matter how well prepared you think things are. Having spent 32 years in Hurricane Alley, and seeing my share of storms up close and in person (most notably Hurricane Andrew in '92 which was a Cat 5), I'm very familiar with the concept.
    *sigh* Weather police, spelling police. OH MO. Enjoyed chatting with you. Have a magical day!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    *sigh*

Oy.

My point was if Disney is capable of engineering lamp posts to withstand the tornado's spun from a hurricane it should withstand a tropical storm. If my little Hamlet can get their lamp posts to stay up I am surprised that Disney cannot on an attraction. I have since read that guests were injured and that it it took place in the loading area of the attraction. Many YouTubes of the attraction show the lamp post in question. I've yet to hear a comment from Disney, which historically isn't unusual.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I say we jump to even more conclusions.

I believe a cast member with a psychotic streak actually destabilized the lamp post in an effort to kill as many guests as possible to get the attention, and win the heart of, Taylor Swift.

There's no other reasonable explanation, and as you stated, Disney is covering the whole thing up by remaining silent.

The fact that we continue to support such a negligent and nefarious company that has such a contempt and disregard for us is really amazing in and of itself.

I say we band together and boycott WDW and the parent company for life! We'll make up shirts, "No more lamp posts shall fall on we!!!"

WDW1014 is offline Fastpass Holder

at least its open and didnt create serious damage
    Visits:
    91= Grand Floridan 01= All Star Sports 11= Music
    92= Grand Floridan 02= All Star Movies 12= Movies
    93= Caribbean Beach 03= Old Key West 13= Sports
    94= All Star Sports 04= Pop Century 14= Sports / Sports
    95= French Quarter 05= Pop Century
    96= Dixie Landing 06= Grand Floridan
    97= All Star Music 07= All Star Sports
    98= All Star Sports 08= Pop Century
    99= All Star Movies 09= All Star Sports
    00= All Star Music 10= All Star Music

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Disney needs these little mishaps every now and again to keep them grounded.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

I'd say that's a fair assessment, Mike.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Note that in certain situations wind gusts can actually be more damaging to things like posts and trees compared to even higher sustained winds. The gusts allow the object to flex and then spring back, setting up oscillations that can weaken the structure and materials.

This is something like bending an object back and forth to break it, as opposed to just bending in one direction.

This is slightly different than sustained winds inducing sympathetic resonance in a structure, as with the infamous Tacoma Narrows bridge collapse...the same repeated torsional oscillations weakens the structure, but for a different cause.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

And WHY did Disney HIDE those facts, Doc?!

Many times in hurricanes it's the gusts that do the initial damage. Once it's done the sustained winds just chip away at it. There are many videos on Youtube of Hurricane Charley where you can see the damage done by the gusts vs. that done by the sustained high winds.

Saw this one with my own eyes when I went back a week after the storm. That would be a U-haul truck sitting in the middle of the old Beachcomber Liquors. This is what gusts can do. No sustained wind would move a truck that far (the picture was taken from the walk in front of the store which the truck had been parked in front of).

Note the wall still standing on the left side of the picture. With bottles and cans still sitting on them.

Wind can do some really amazing stuff, folks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12