Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Expedition Everest Light Pole Falls At Animal Kingdom Onto Coaster in the News & Rumors forums; http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-d...,1498174.story Anyone know anything more? Glad no one was killed...not that they would really tell us. They would drag them out of the park, out of R. Creek and blame ...
  1. #1
    SinisterEars's Avatar
    SinisterEars is offline A-Ticket holder
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    40

    Expedition Everest Light Pole Falls At Animal Kingdom Onto Coaster

    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-d...,1498174.story

    Anyone know anything more? Glad no one was killed...not that they would really tell us. They would drag them out of the park, out of R. Creek and blame an alligator from Tampa for the carnage.

  2. #2
    HauntedGabe's Avatar
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hamlet, IL
    Posts
    27,303

    Re: Expedition Everest Light Pole Falls At Animal Kingdom Onto Coaster

    OK, that is two now at AK. A month or so ago the branch fell off the tree and forced the closure of that area.

    Time for Disney EngineEars to take a closer look at their props to make sure everything is battened down. Lord help the Guests if a hurricane force wind comes through this particular park.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

    They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

    Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

  3. #3
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,352

    Re: Expedition Everest Light Pole Falls At Animal Kingdom Onto Coaster

    First of all, 75mph wind gusts are a very rare occurrence. Even in Florida.

    Secondly, if you have 75mph wind gusts chances are pretty good you've already taken shelter. They don't just pop up out of nowhere, no matter what hyperventilating talking heads on the Weather Channel tell you.

    Third, I don't care if you're in AK or your local city park. If you're caught in 75mph wind gusts unpredictable, and bad, things could happen no matter how well "prepared" the surroundings are.

  4. #4
    JNota0005DakMC's Avatar
    JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    3,271

    Re: Expedition Everest Light Pole Falls At Animal Kingdom Onto Coaster

    Yeh... I agree... Even though these things are made for hurricane force winds you really can't get crazy if something falls during that kind of wind... If it legitimately fell because it rusted and was old... Disney's fault... Here... It happens...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney


    "Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney


    "Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

    Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/




  5. #5
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,352

    Re: Expedition Everest Light Pole Falls At Animal Kingdom Onto Coaster

    If you're into weather, Florida can make you feel like a kid in a candy store. Pop-up thunderstorms of varying intensity, lightning strike capital of the U.S. (and only second in the world), microbursts, hurricanes, slow-motion flooding (due to the ground being flat everywhere)...

    When I lived on the southwest coast (Punta Gorda, which was flattened by Hurricane Charley), we had a storm blow up out of the middle of nowhere and on the news later that night they said they recorded a wind gust of 92mph with straight line winds of 45-50mph.

    Tore the heck out of the place. Sorry, there is simply no way to prepare for that. But, as I said before it's incredibly rare. I lived in Florida for 32 years, in both central and the southwest coast, and maybe experienced something like that two or three times.
    Last edited by Mo Noyz; 06-09-2012 at 10:17 AM.

  6. #6
    JNota0005DakMC's Avatar
    JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    3,271

    Re: Expedition Everest Light Pole Falls At Animal Kingdom Onto Coaster

    Yeh... I've heard of those wicked pop-up storms that you speak of... No way to prepare for them... Only thing you can do is pick up the debris after it falls...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney


    "Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney


    "Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

    Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/




  7. #7
    SinisterEars's Avatar
    SinisterEars is offline A-Ticket holder
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    40

    Re: Expedition Everest Light Pole Falls At Animal Kingdom Onto Coaster

    Quote Originally Posted by JNota0005DakMC View Post
    Yeh... I've heard of those wicked pop-up storms that you speak of... No way to prepare for them... Only thing you can do is pick up the debris after it falls...
    If it was going to happen at any park, I do see it happening at Animal Kingdom due to the surrounding elements that make up that specific park. Wind or not, if they can anchor down the tree of life, they can anchor down a pole. I have no doubt someone was probably down there passing out checks, or fast passes, or vouchers to patrons to shush and blame it on the yeti (just guessing!!!)

    But at any rate, nothing at Disney should move...like that. It's Disney EngineEars, the best of the best. It's Florida, a state prone to hurricanes and hurricane force feter bands and wind.

  8. #8
    mini-V's Avatar
    mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Mickey's backyard
    Posts
    8,966

    Re: Expedition Everest Light Pole Falls At Animal Kingdom Onto Coaster

    It was on the news here, but little details were given. My understanding is that it occurred while the ride was closed. We had a pretty good storm that night, so it could have happened then. It was repaired in time for opening.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

    Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

  9. #9
    HauntedGabe's Avatar
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hamlet, IL
    Posts
    27,303

    Re: Expedition Everest Light Pole Falls At Animal Kingdom Onto Coaster

    Quote Originally Posted by SinisterEars View Post
    If it was going to happen at any park, I do see it happening at Animal Kingdom due to the surrounding elements that make up that specific park. Wind or not, if they can anchor down the tree of life, they can anchor down a pole. I have no doubt someone was probably down there passing out checks, or fast passes, or vouchers to patrons to shush and blame it on the yeti (just guessing!!!)

    But at any rate, nothing at Disney should move...like that. It's Disney EngineEars, the best of the best. It's Florida, a state prone to hurricanes and hurricane force feter bands and wind.
    Exactly!

    I was caught in a storm like this in Mid-April while HS. We were on the back lot tour. We started in the Sunshine and a horrible storm blew in while we were on the tram. Florida is known for storms to creep in and out. It can be horrible at one park and sunny at the other.

    We were in at Port Orleans when the tornado came through one year spun off of the hurricane. There were flowers and branches about however we came out of our room later The hotel was intact as were the light posts, park benches, railings. We were on back up power for a little while but what was bolted down stayed in place. It isn't normal for light posts to just come down in the wind at Disney. When it is that dangerous guests like us were told to leave the park and they close it.

    We live in Tornado Alley and have had some wicked storms here over the last 3 years. Our bolts hold down our lamp posts, park benches etc. We loose tree branches, electrical wires because of trees but not items meant to withstand high winds.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

    They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

    Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

  10. #10
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,352

    Re: Expedition Everest Light Pole Falls At Animal Kingdom Onto Coaster

    Quote Originally Posted by SinisterEars View Post
    If it was going to happen at any park, I do see it happening at Animal Kingdom due to the surrounding elements that make up that specific park. Wind or not, if they can anchor down the tree of life, they can anchor down a pole. I have no doubt someone was probably down there passing out checks, or fast passes, or vouchers to patrons to shush and blame it on the yeti (just guessing!!!)

    But at any rate, nothing at Disney should move...like that. It's Disney EngineEars, the best of the best. It's Florida, a state prone to hurricanes and hurricane force feter bands and wind.
    Please explain to us what, exactly, "feter bands" are.

    In 1992 when Hurricane Andrew hit Homestead, the National Hurricane Center in Coral Gables lost it's radar and it's anemometer due to the high winds.

    Read that sentence on more time. And Keep in mind this was the National Hurricane Center. Gee, do you think they designed that place to withstand high winds?!

    High winds do damage. No matter how well you prepare for them. Pointing fingers at the engineers there is absurd in the extreme. And the outrageously wild speculation based upon non-existent evidence doesn't cast you in the best light.
    Last edited by Mo Noyz; 06-10-2012 at 04:56 AM.

  11. #11
    supernova's Avatar
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staten Island, NYC
    Posts
    6,386

    Re: Expedition Everest Light Pole Falls At Animal Kingdom Onto Coaster

    Maybe Rohde and friends did too good a job making everything look weathered and rusty. Now they can't tell what's been painted to have an old feel and what is legitimately in need of repair/replacement. Nicely done, gents.
    Last edited by supernova; 06-10-2012 at 04:34 PM.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

    Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.


  12. #12
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,352

    Re: Expedition Everest Light Pole Falls At Animal Kingdom Onto Coaster

    I guess just ol' Joe just didn't know that Florida sometimes had intense thunderstorms. We should sue!

  13. #13
    SinisterEars's Avatar
    SinisterEars is offline A-Ticket holder
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    40

    Re: Expedition Everest Light Pole Falls At Animal Kingdom Onto Coaster

    Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Please explain to us what, exactly, "feter bands" are.

    In 1992 when Hurricane Andrew hit Homestead, the National Hurricane Center in Coral Gables lost it's radar and it's anemometer due to the high winds.

    Read that sentence on more time. And Keep in mind this was the National Hurricane Center. Gee, do you think they designed that place to withstand high winds?!

    High winds do damage. No matter how well you prepare for them. Pointing fingers at the engineers there is absurd in the extreme. And the outrageously wild speculation based upon non-existent evidence doesn't cast you in the best light.
    Glad no one was hurt. It wasn't a hurricane. **** happens. They'll fix it. I don't need your cast of light, it did happen. It only made local news. Let's love Disney and all hold hands. Lighten up.

  14. #14
    SinisterEars's Avatar
    SinisterEars is offline A-Ticket holder
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    40

    Re: Expedition Everest Light Pole Falls At Animal Kingdom Onto Coaster

    Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Exactly!

    I was caught in a storm like this in Mid-April while HS. We were on the back lot tour. We started in the Sunshine and a horrible storm blew in while we were on the tram. Florida is known for storms to creep in and out. It can be horrible at one park and sunny at the other.

    We were in at Port Orleans when the tornado came through one year spun off of the hurricane. There were flowers and branches about however we came out of our room later The hotel was intact as were the light posts, park benches, railings. We were on back up power for a little while but what was bolted down stayed in place. It isn't normal for light posts to just come down in the wind at Disney. When it is that dangerous guests like us were told to leave the park and they close it.

    We live in Tornado Alley and have had some wicked storms here over the last 3 years. Our bolts hold down our lamp posts, park benches etc. We loose tree branches, electrical wires because of trees but not items meant to withstand high winds.
    Gabe, you're a kindred. I always agree with you. You have an excellent point.

  15. #15
    SinisterEars's Avatar
    SinisterEars is offline A-Ticket holder
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    40

    Re: Expedition Everest Light Pole Falls At Animal Kingdom Onto Coaster

    Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Please explain to us what, exactly, "feter bands" are.

    In 1992 when Hurricane Andrew hit Homestead, the National Hurricane Center in Coral Gables lost it's radar and it's anemometer due to the high winds.

    Read that sentence on more time. And Keep in mind this was the National Hurricane Center. Gee, do you think they designed that place to withstand high winds?!

    High winds do damage. No matter how well you prepare for them. Pointing fingers at the engineers there is absurd in the extreme. And the outrageously wild speculation based upon non-existent evidence doesn't cast you in the best light.
    It was not a hurricane or tropical storm. Let's get that clear. BUT, Feder bands are winds that span far beyond a storm or weather system--even if you're not in a directly hit area. They do exist and being a Florida resident, you should know more about them than me. I'm no weather expert but glad I could help you out. I bet the engineers know what they are. In my opinion, I absolutely believe they try their best to design everything to withstand high winds. Are you insinuating they place things where they are and just "wish and hope" they don't fall? You have less faith in the engineers than I ever implied. They are the best of the best. Give them some credit. They do try to build things to stay put.... It was a freak accident but it did happen, it's real, and it's fun to discuss.

    Now who's not looking so good in the light...I'm pointing at you. lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Animal Kingdom falls short
    By RollTideMickey in forum WDW Theme Parks
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 05-13-2010, 10:48 AM
  2. How Bad Is Expedition Everest?
    By Sorria in forum WDW Theme Parks
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-27-2008, 09:39 AM
  3. Expedition Everest
    By DisneyGuy81 in forum Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 03-24-2006, 04:25 AM
  4. Question: How does Expedition Everest fit in at Disney's Animal Kingdom?
    By Kellie19891992 in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-31-2006, 01:06 PM
  5. Everest Coaster
    By King Tryton in forum Virtual Magic Kingdom (VMK)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-27-2006, 04:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •