Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss A dark YET light hearted discussion in the News & Rumors forums; This is a light-hearted discussion so if you can't handle the topic, don't comment and get all bent out of shape. Just scroll on I was reading on one of ...
    SinisterEars is offline A-Ticket holder

A dark YET light hearted discussion

This is a light-hearted discussion so if you can't handle the topic, don't comment and get all bent out of shape. Just scroll on

I was reading on one of these long-threaded debates about people who dump their loved ones ashes off the sides of rides. It seemed to occur the most on attractions like Pirates and the Haunted Mansion. This became a huge debate in my school class discussion.

Follow me.....

Ok, so POTC is a water ride, so I imagine that's hard to clean. Ashes would eventually sink.

Then I read in another thread that the Haunted Mansion is "cleaned, vac'd, etc" every night. So as nasty as it is, do you think Disney really vacs up the ashes every night or do they let people have their hay-day and rest there?

The reason I ask is because there is an article online that says Walt wanted the Haunted Mansion to contain objects or items that had haunted type attachments. He was attracted to really dark things like that--per the article. So maybe even people's ashes?

If they do clean every night, wouldn't people realistically know better than to dump their ashes there? Would you really want your loved ones final resting place to be a VAC or where ever they dump the vac? Or is it like a hope or wishful thinking that some of their dust would escape and reside somewhere inside the park?

I LOVE WDW and I grasp what someone would be trying to achieve in wanting to rest there. But really, the logic of it actually happening or if it's possible is what I'm trying to understand. lol.

missbounce is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: A dark YET light hearted discussion

Disney do not allow people to scatter ashes on property - that doesn't mean guests don't do it, though... I can't say I've ever really thought about what happens to the ashes that are scattered on rides and specifically after they are cleaned. Gives me the heebie-jeebies a little bit to be honest - LOL!
    Cara
    @MissBounceUK

*** PROUD CHARTER-DAY GOLD MEMBER OF D23! ***
    ***DISNEYLAND ANNUAL PASSHOLDER***

MY DISNEY TRIPS:
    October 2012 - Walt Disney World (Coronado Springs) Halloween, Food and Wine, Christmas Season ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2012 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: 75 Years of Disney Animation ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2011 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Expo
    May 2011 - Walt Disney World (All Star Sports) D23 Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary
    November 2010 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Bonfire Night Celebrations and Halloween Season
    September 2010 - Disneyland California (Disneyland Hotel and Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: Disneyland 55th Anniversary
    February 2010 - Walt Disney World (All Star Music and Polynesian Resort)
    May 2009 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Mickey's Magical Party
    October 2008 - Walt Disney World (All Star Movies, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian Resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge) Halloween and Food and Wine
    January 2008 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Christmas Season
    June 2007 - Disneyland Paris (Newport Bay Club) Disneyland Paris 15th Anniversary Celebrations
    January 2006 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Christmas Season
    September 2004 - Walt Disney World (Pop Century) Honeymoon

SinisterEars is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by missbounce View Post
    Disney do not allow people to scatter ashes on property - that doesn't mean guests don't do it, though... I can't say I've ever really thought about what happens to the ashes that are scattered on rides and specifically after they are cleaned. Gives me the heebie-jeebies a little bit to be honest - LOL!
    LOL I know, its a heebie jeebie topic and you're sweet to entertain it. I had to break down the practical aspect, I couldn't help but ask LOL. So many people talk about wanting their ashes there.

I know it's not allowed and thank goodness! Could you imagine you're waiting in line to get into the park and you're behind the guy holding a urn? Umm, creepy LOL

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Me being one of them. Thought near our family paver stone. However your comment of carrying in the Urn gave me the Willies. This week I saw a news clip for Urns. It is a real life replica of the persons full head/neck. The top of the head is removable to put ashes in. I found it so creepity. And as you said walking in with an urn my thought went to someone coming in carrying one of these "new" urns and heading (unexpected pun) straight to the Haunted Mansion.

But ya, you are right, if it ashes are released in any area that would be cleaned nightly or even during a rehab, your ashes are likely to wind up in a land-fill or a water treatment plant. There are water vacuums that are placed in bottoms of pool type areas that have the suction to clean debris from entire olympic type pools, so you are kinda booted out of your final resting place.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

If someone were to dump some ashes in say HM, wouldn't that require hazmat and/or OSHA?
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

There's actually a thread going on a similar topic here: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/showt...ins-to-be-laid

I suppose most folks overlook the fact of potentially being vacuumed up when they think about this.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterEars View Post
    This is a light-hearted discussion so if you can't handle the topic, don't comment and get all bent out of shape. Just scroll on
    Do you have any idea exactly where you are posting at and what you are asking???? Getting bent out of shape is a hobby around here!
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

missbounce is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    Do you have any idea exactly where you are posting at and what you are asking???? Getting bent out of shape is a hobby around here!
    Ha ha - this made me smile. Yes - there are a lot of very opinionated people on here who just love a good heated discussion!
    Cara
    @MissBounceUK

*** PROUD CHARTER-DAY GOLD MEMBER OF D23! ***
    ***DISNEYLAND ANNUAL PASSHOLDER***

MY DISNEY TRIPS:
    October 2012 - Walt Disney World (Coronado Springs) Halloween, Food and Wine, Christmas Season ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2012 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: 75 Years of Disney Animation ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2011 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Expo
    May 2011 - Walt Disney World (All Star Sports) D23 Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary
    November 2010 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Bonfire Night Celebrations and Halloween Season
    September 2010 - Disneyland California (Disneyland Hotel and Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: Disneyland 55th Anniversary
    February 2010 - Walt Disney World (All Star Music and Polynesian Resort)
    May 2009 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Mickey's Magical Party
    October 2008 - Walt Disney World (All Star Movies, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian Resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge) Halloween and Food and Wine
    January 2008 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Christmas Season
    June 2007 - Disneyland Paris (Newport Bay Club) Disneyland Paris 15th Anniversary Celebrations
    January 2006 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Christmas Season
    September 2004 - Walt Disney World (Pop Century) Honeymoon

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Ha ha - this made me smile. Yes - there are a lot of very opinionated people on here who just love a good heated discussion!
    Indeed! Of course then there are the opinionated people who just love to argue.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

WDW1014 is offline Fastpass Holder

i would love my ashes to be laid there anyone else hehe
    Visits:
    91= Grand Floridan 01= All Star Sports 11= Music
    92= Grand Floridan 02= All Star Movies 12= Movies
    93= Caribbean Beach 03= Old Key West 13= Sports
    94= All Star Sports 04= Pop Century
    95= French Quarter 05= Pop Century
    96= Dixie Landing 06= Grand Floridan
    97= All Star Music 07= All Star Sports
    98= All Star Sports 08= Pop Century
    99= All Star Movies 09= All Star Sports
    00= All Star Music 10= All Star Music

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

How about getting dumped in the lake on the ride to the Ticket Center from MK? I'm pretty certain you'd stay in the lake forever.
    Last edited by ohiodisneydad; 06-13-2012 at 04:06 AM.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

nicholas is offline Lost in my house

diddo