Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Kids Maps in the News & Rumors forums; The Magic Kingdom might seem like a maze for some parents, but with a new guide from Walt Disney World, navigating the park could become a little easier. A new ...
    TrendyMagic is offline On Mars

Kids Maps

The Magic Kingdom might seem like a maze for some parents, but with a new guide from Walt Disney World, navigating the park could become a little easier.

A new preschool guide, meant to complement the 107-acre park's primary map for visitors, highlights attractions appropriate for children younger than age 6.

"It's great," said Joe Mosier, visiting from Tennessee with 3-year-old twins. "It gives you an idea of what rides they can go on. We can map out what we want to do first."

The guide even tells parents when to eat.

"Earlier meals make it a lot easier on you and your kids," it states, advising parents to "take advantage of less traditional meal times."

The guide offers similar suggestions for Disney's Fastpass service, a parent-swap program for rides, and park etiquette.

But useful as they may be, the guides might be around only for the summer. They're part of an experiment that began in late May.

Lissette Campos, Disney's public affairs manager, said research teams will gather data and interview guests to determine whether to keep publishing the guides.

The teams could face at least one challenge in their research: Many parents interviewed recently in the Magic Kingdom said they couldn't find the guides.

"I didn't even know the map existed," said Linda Sharpe, a mother from Phoenix. After seeing a guide, Sharpe said it would have made her visit easier.

Another woman said she didn't know she had the map. Turning to her children, she asked, "Do you know how we got these?"

The mystery could be part of Disney's research plan. The trial evaluation, Campos said, includes how the guides are distributed.

Campos mentioned six places where the guides are available: the stroller-rental area, City Hall, the guest-relations window, the baby-care center, the Tip Board, and the vacation-planning office.

But Disney workers in the Magic Kingdom, when asked, pointed to only two: City Hall, at the front of the park, and the Tip Board, at the front-center.

If parents do get a preschool guide, Disney advises them to use it with the more detailed map and the times guide, which are handed out at the entrance and available throughout the park.

But some parents like the simplicity of the preschool map.

"The regular map is very difficult to follow," said William Querrie, from upstate New York. He was at the Magic Kingdom with his two children, a niece, a nephew and his mother, who has health problems.

He said the preschool map should highlight emergency stations, in case the kids get lost or Grandma gets hurt. Also, personnel uniforms should be clearly illustrated, so children know workers from strangers, he said.

Campos did not forecast an expansion of the preschool program to other languages or Disney parks; for now, Disney's efforts "are focused on this test."

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    Oh very neato!!!!! I want one of those...please please please please!!!!
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    I don't have any preschoolers! My "baby" is moving out today. Hubby took her bed apart this morning. She got him to do it as soon as she was out of it. So, I'm sitting at working blubbering like a baby and you are talking about taking your preschoolers to WDW!
    They call me "Nana"

poor thing--you can always do like I did and have an OOPS child so you can enjoy(?) preschool years all over again...lol You will get used to it, it takes a while. Just think tho they are never truely gone because they still call you for things like food and money...lol

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    Something like

and

(thanks to the person who sent them my way)

Don't say that! She IS the "oops" child! I can't imagine having another "oops". My husband would either divorce me or kill me!
    They call me "Nana"

Nice maps by the way. I think I'll pick some up on my next visit to hang on to until the grandchildren start coming along!
    They call me "Nana"

GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!
    thanks Sam, was wondering where i could get a hold of one of these things.

saved on the hard drive now!

Thank you SAM--saved mine to print out also...very cute...tho I do have to agree with the person in the article....bathrooms listed would be nice touch

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    Thanks Sam.

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    I'm not 100% sure these are what are actually being handed out, but it should be close.

RE: restrooms - while I agree, if you consider these are to be used in conjunction with regular maps, and they provide a much less detailed view of the park, I'm not sure how helpful the indicators would actually be here.. And the truth is, the best way to find a restroom (if you don't have their locations all memorized already) is to ask the nearest CM where the nearest restroom is - there's always a CM close by, and they tend to know these things, at a minimum .

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    I love this idea!!! Great!
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

crashbunny is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by iwannabeminnie
    I don't have any preschoolers! My "baby" is moving out today. Hubby took her bed apart this morning. She got him to do it as soon as she was out of it. So, I'm sitting at working blubbering like a baby and you are talking about taking your preschoolers to WDW!
    come on over and I'll fix you a nice long drink and we can both blubber together- my last one is planning his move out and I tear up every time he mentions it

I wish there was a quick way to get to rochester from indiana - you could pick up Kellie on the way

then we could all go shopping

GirlStar613 is offline Queen of Couture
    as a child moving out on their own(finally!), we know our parents can get upset...you did raise us afterall...but think of it this way, you did such a great job raising great kids that they are able and want to be able to move out on their own and take care of themselves...even if we do only occasionally call for some moola

i think the maps are a good idea, i know my parents probably could have used them when we were kids.
    Erica

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday. There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away!"

When I grow up I wanna be a Disney

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Thanx for the tip, Trendy, and Sam for the maps!!!
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property