Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss WDW Internship Program Draws Criticism in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by The_Heat I did try to have fun, however, my managers and co-workers made it perfectly clear on the first day that working concessions at MK would not ...
    Kimpossible is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Heat
    I did try to have fun,
    however,

my managers and co-workers made it perfectly clear on the first day that working concessions at MK would not be a fun job....then came Easter

I have no hard feelings towards Disney or the program, I didn't like it, but I tried, and it just wasn't for me.
    My husband was in the program and enjoyed the experience, but the pay and living conditions are less to be desired. They pay you little, and then it gets ****ed up by Vista Way. In addition, other theme parks (i.e. Sea World) not only pay more, but have better benefits.

Shananigans is offline A-Ticket holder
    I wasn't a CP. I was on the International Program, just like our friend from Morrocco. I worked Merchandise and Attractions in the Canadian Pavilion at EPCOT for a year. I can 110% say it was THE BEST year of my life. The job was exactly that a job. It wasn't always work. It was what you made it. I spent a lot of my time doing Take 5's and Magical Moments and that made the day go a lot faster. I'd dance with guests on the promenade, have water fights with SqueezeBreezes, crank call the UK CM's, pin trade, dress up our plush to look like hockey players, write notes to put in hotel deliveries, play games at KIDCOT, set up Easter Egg hunts at Easter...I could continue the list forever. It was the only job I've ever had that I have completely loved. Sure, there was a lot of the usual **** that goes on in every job...the same crabby guests...but for each crabby guest, I'd have 5 others that were so intrigued to meet me and talk to me about where I'm from...and I'm from Canada!! I can only imagine what it was like for the IPs from places like Morrocco. I think we were treated better in some ways than the CPs, but worse in other ways too. We make the same pennies an hour and pay the same for housing. We were lucky enough to have free laundry in our apts, internet was going in when I left and apparently we even had more cable channels. We received benefits after 3 months. Many of us were in the union...not by choice. We were tricked into signing on...for most of the IPs english is not their first language so it's easy to get them to do things because they usually aren't 100% sure what it is. CPs are lucky because they can take their experience and possibly move up within the company. IPs have zero chance of that because of VISA restrictions. CPs can participate in work activities outside of their assigned areas, so they can experience other things. IPs can only work in their pavilions because of VISA restrictions again and so we rarely got to escape the confines.

Yes, I too have heard lots of bad things about the CP, but I have heard lots of good things too. I can't first hand comment on the CP, but as for the IP, I'll be the first to jump up and encourage anyone to do it. I will also be the first to admit that I basically worked to support my year long vacation. I lounged by the pool on Christmas Eve (when can I do that in Canada), I played in the parks and had annual passes to all the theme parks in Florida, I went on a cruise, went to the beach and went all over Florida. I have friends all over the world. I too met the love of my life down there (but now we're stuck doing the UK/Canada commute, but we'll survive and figure something out). I had some good roomies and some bad ones. I've seen some of the horror stories first hand, but tell me when I will EVER have an opportunity like that again.

I have been home for a year now and I still miss it 100%. As do many of my friends. If I could go back, I would in a heartbeat. I was incredibly happy down there. Now I am stuck at home trying to find a job that makes me even half as happy as I was there.

Sorry this was long and ranting, I just hate when people get down on these experiences because they are valuable in so many ways.

Shannon
    International Program Alumni
    Canada Merchandise & Attractions
    August 6th, 2003 - July 31st, 2004
    Commons Apt. 823

robo85045 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Well, im going, no matter what happens!

Reading this has only made me want to go there more (wow, I didnt think that was possible!)

Im hoping for a carrer in Disney as well, probably a ride mechanic or somthing along thoes lines (not that i have a choice lol, bolth my uncles are mechanics for Milton Bradly, dang genetics )

Anyway, only 3 more years to go!!!
    Only 2 years, 365 days, 59 hours, 59 minutes to go!!!
    The hardest task of all is believing in yourself, for who knows all your faults and shortcomings better?

Two tiny wings, eyes big and yellow
    Horns of a steer, what a loveable fellow
    From head to tail, a royal purple pigmant
    and then, WaLaa! you've got a Figmant!

Aspiring to be Cast Member for WDW. See any non-Disney behaviour from me? Point it out!

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust
    I would NEVER do the IP. For me that would entail working at WDW in a micro-sized, American-ized version of my neighbouring country. Fun.
    Last edited by 20K; 08-18-2005 at 08:41 PM.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

byoung1521 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    One thing that I found funny when I did the internship. I was asked by my supervisor if I was interested in staying on and training to become a Lead. She was all set to give me a letter to make my ID not CT or Casual Temporary. I told her that I was interested but my parents had just driven down to pick me up. I asked if I could go home and put my things in order up there and then call her to say when I could return. She said Ok and put a note in my record. I arrived back home and returned to school. There I was told that I could not return until I paid the tuition for the time I was at Disney. I basically told them that I couldnt afford it and was told to take a walk. I left the school and decided to apply at the local Disney store and after three interviews including one with the local district manager I was told that I did not fit the Disney Image. When I told them again that I worked CP and was offered a chance to stay. They told me that the CP accepted a lot of people and most werent suited for real life Disney. This is why I will never shop in a Disney Store. Oh, I also received the letters every september for ten years offering me seasonal employment if I was interested in it.
    "You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality."

Kimpossible is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by byoung1521
    One thing that I found funny when I did the internship. I was asked by my supervisor if I was interested in staying on and training to become a Lead. She was all set to give me a letter to make my ID not CT or Casual Temporary. I told her that I was interested but my parents had just driven down to pick me up. I asked if I could go home and put my things in order up there and then call her to say when I could return. She said Ok and put a note in my record. I arrived back home and returned to school. There I was told that I could not return until I paid the tuition for the time I was at Disney. I basically told them that I couldnt afford it and was told to take a walk. I left the school and decided to apply at the local Disney store and after three interviews including one with the local district manager I was told that I did not fit the Disney Image. When I told them again that I worked CP and was offered a chance to stay. They told me that the CP accepted a lot of people and most werent suited for real life Disney. This is why I will never shop in a Disney Store. Oh, I also received the letters every september for ten years offering me seasonal employment if I was interested in it.
    CPs are just like students at any college. Some are suited to work at Disney, and some probably aren't suited to work anywhere. It all depends on your maturity and your outlook on why you are there. Some of the CPs I worked with called in sick all the time or treated the job like it was just something they did on the side. Others used it for what it was and had a great time while having a good work ethic. I do have to say, from what I know about the Disney Store vs. the Disney theme parks, it's kind of weird. A friend of mine used to work there, and he was "on call" as a part-timer? I thought it was odd, but when I applied there, they said I had an excellent audition and wanted me to work 5 days a week, part time, for about 3 hours a day. I said I couldn't drive that far that frequently and politely turned it down. Odd hours, but some people can do it.
    Now is the time. Now is the best time. Now is the best time of your life. Life is a prize. Live every minute. Open your eyes and watch how you win it. Yesterdays memories may sparkle and gleam. Tomorrow is still but a dream! Remember the past, but live for today. The whole world is watching and your in the parade. There's so much to cheer for, be glad you're here for it's the best time of your life!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12