Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Fantasyland Enchanted Forest-Now in Soft opening! in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad I have three little girls who are dying to see the new Little Mermaid attraction so for them it's a must ride. In that case, tough, ...
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Fantasyland Enchanted Forest-Now in Soft opening!

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    I have three little girls who are dying to see the new Little Mermaid attraction so for them it's a must ride.
    In that case, tough, it's only a must-ride because they haven't seen it yet. Once they go on, I wonder if it'll be a must-ride after that. Plus, what's a must ride for kids is different from the rest of the world. I'm sure there are kids that must ride Stitch all the time, too. But it is in no way an "E-Ticket".
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Harry Potter and The Simpsons, with Transformers coming soon. Plus, they kicked up an already-amazing ride in Spiderman, though I guess that'll be the equalent of Test Track, though that remains to be seen.
    Um, what Harry Potter ride? Those were refurbs of existing attractions.

So essentially one. And didn't you post a pic of the empty queue for The Simpsons from when you were there last year?

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

In that case, tough, it's only a must-ride because they haven't seen it yet. Once they go on, I wonder if it'll be a must-ride after that. Plus, what's a must ride for kids is different from the rest of the world. I'm sure there are kids that must ride Stitch all the time, too. But it is in no way an "E-Ticket".
    Thank you for not only speaking on behalf of his kids, but for pretty much everyone else as well.

You haven't been there since FLE opened, yet you know exactly how much you hate it already.

Got credibility?

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Harry Potter and The Simpsons, with Transformers coming soon. Plus, they kicked up an already-amazing ride in Spiderman, though I guess that'll be the equalent of Test Track, though that remains to be seen.
    Test Track is getting great reviews by cast and meh reviews by cast. The one consistent is the attraction is still having reliability issues. Hopefully fixed before it opens next month.

Most of what has changed with TT is pre and post show, ending a maze to exit using your "card" to swipe everything you do including viewing your post ride pictures.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Thank you for not only speaking on behalf of his kids, but for pretty much everyone else as well.

You haven't been there since FLE opened, yet you know exactly how much you hate it already.

Got credibility?
    Heading there in Jan. Might walk through the Be Our Guest restaurant to check it out, but won't be dining there. Will check out Goofini but since I never bothered to re-ride Barnstormer, I can't see this being a must-hit. Zero interest in Enchanted Tales with Belle. Didn't bother with Dumbo when there was one, so why would I care that there are now two? The Mine Train is the only thing I'm curious to see, but even that one will be more for themeing than the ride itself. So no, I haven't been there yet. But I've seen enough stuff posted online to realize that I'm not going to enjoy it.
    Last edited by supernova; 11-25-2012 at 11:01 PM.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Um, what Harry Potter ride? Those were refurbs of existing attractions.
    Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. Hands down one of THE best amusement park attractions out there. And I am in no way a Potter fan. The ride technology is incredible.

Heading there in Jan. Might walk through the Be Our Guest restaurant to check it out, but won't be dining there. Will check out Goofini but since I never bothered to re-ride Barnstormer, I can't see this being a must-hit. Zero interest in Enchanted Tales with Belle. Didn't bother with Dumbo when there was one, so why would I care that there are now two? The Mine Train is the only thing I'm curious to see, but even that one will be more for themeing than the ride itself.
    I'm curious most about BoG too. From all the YouTubes it is pretty. I want to see what I could not get a glimpse of before additional walls came down. I think you will enjoy as I did the theming of Circus and the incredible details but lack interest to participate. It is a tot area. Dumbo is a work of art now to view, same ride experience that it was but beautiful to look at. Even more so Circus comes to life after dark visually and there is far less kids and families knocking elbows. Bonus no stroller H*ll. I did ride Barnstormer. The queue has interesting props but the coaster itself isn't themed. You load from the opposite side now, the big change. But it is meant as babies first coaster so it is what it is. I'm hoping to ride side car with DH who will have a 2 day trip for business just to get a peek of that area and Test Track in one day. Not really overly interested in dining at BoG on a quick hop but I do want to see if it is worth all the hype and mega bucks spent on the expansion.

My gut for now is beyond BoG you will see wide varying opinions from adult guests verses families toting children, especially parents of Princesses. I count my blessings my DD only tiptoed into princess fairyland briefly as both my DH and DS would have gagged and left my DD and me behind for another land. If I am to gamble BoG is going to be the long term winner of FLE and the crown jewel.

Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. Hands down one of THE best amusement park attractions out there. And I am in no way a Potter fan. The ride technology is incredible.
    I wholeheartedly agreed, they nailed that HP expansion and brought something totally new to their park. I have not been this impressed with any expansion since the Studio's completed Sunset Blvd. That was an awesome expansion too.

Universal Parks has a winner and they are in a driven mode right now to build in a timely fashion and money dedicated to back it up. No stop, start, quit mode for them. They knock down a building and they are vertical again in a month. No WoL, Adventurers Club buildings hanging around rotting at Universal. Disney needs to get bit by that creative bug once again. Just looking at the graveyard of the former Pleasure Island says a lot about Disney's lack of focus. If the other two projects Universal is working 24/7 on that are targeted for next year and are half as good as HP 1.0 I will be excited to visit those parks again on a full vacation splitting our time between Disney and Universal once again.

Now we will have to wait and hope for Disney's Big Announcement on December 7th and what time frame(s) they can execute a project(s) in. Oh yeah and what the mystical Dragon will bring. With this Dragon Hype it best be mind blowing imagineering by Disney. Guarded, braced but dreaming.
    i-neighborhood likes this.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

We'll see if mermaid is a must do. I'm thinking it is for them. It probably will be. Everything else there is, including Pooh. I've never really enjoyed Pooh but my girls and wife like it.

I wish I could say what HP and the Forbidden Journey is like. Apparently my body shape is "not optimal" for safely riding it. Stupid Scottish ancestors and their broad shoulders.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I wholeheartedly agreed, they nailed that HP expansion and brought something totally new to their park. I have not been this impressed with any expansion since the Studio's completed Sunset Blvd. That was an awesome expansion too.

Universal Parks has a winner and they are in a driven mode right now to build in a timely fashion and money dedicated to back it up. No stop, start, quit mode for them. They knock down a building and they are vertical again in a month. No WoL, Adventurers Club buildings hanging around rotting at Universal. Disney needs to get bit by that creative bug once again. Just looking at the graveyard of the former Pleasure Island says a lot about Disney's lack of focus. If the other two projects Universal is working 24/7 on that are targeted for next year and are half as good as HP 1.0 I will be excited to visit those parks again on a full vacation splitting our time between Disney and Universal once again.
    My two main issues with Universal are that they rely too heavily on motion simulators for rides over and over and over again. Though at least when they do it, they do it right. I still can't believe that after all the downtime, that the best Disney could come up with for Star Tours II.

My other issue is that Universal too often relies on properties that are not time-tested, or try to lock things into a specific time period because they always pick the 'popular today' movies. Why call your Terminator ride T-2 in 3D just because Terminator 2 was out at that time? How about just Terminator 3D. And even if their properties become 'classic', they still feel dated. The Back to the Future series was great (well, two of the three) but seeing Biff and Doc in the ride was painful. Same with Men in Black, and that's a decent ride. Shrek... loved the first movie, but seeing Donkey and Shrek outside in their off-to-the-side meet n' greet with absolutely no line ever should tip Universal off. I enjoyed the old Hannah Barbera ride and never bothered with Jimmy Neutron. Now in 2012, who even knows that character much less misses the ride? I hope we're not saying that about Despicabe Me in a few years, though even with the new movie coming out, the area still seems stale to me. If they would just stop living for today, they might be better off in many instances.

My two main issues with Universal are that they rely too heavily on motion simulators for rides over and over and over again. Though at least when they do it, they do it right. I still can't believe that after all the downtime, that the best Disney could come up with for Star Tours II.
    Star Tours needed a major clean up, that is what it got, once I was strapped in my seat it was very much the same to me though it took longer for it to make me queasy. I tend to avoid simulators in all theme parks for that reason.

My other issue is that Universal too often relies on properties that are not time-tested, or try to lock things into a specific time period because they always pick the 'popular today' movies. Why call your Terminator ride T-2 in 3D just because Terminator 2 was out at that time? How about just Terminator 3D. And even if their properties become 'classic', they still feel dated. The Back to the Future series was great (well, two of the three) but seeing Biff and Doc in the ride was painful. Same with Men in Black, and that's a decent ride. Shrek... loved the first movie, but seeing Donkey and Shrek outside in their off-to-the-side meet n' greet with absolutely no line ever should tip Universal off. I enjoyed the old Hannah Barbera ride and never bothered with Jimmy Neutron. Now in 2012, who even knows that character much less misses the ride? I hope we're not saying that about Despicabe Me in a few years, though even with the new movie coming out, the area still seems stale to me. If they would just stop living for today, they might be better off in many instances.
    Stale seems to haunt both the Universal and Disney Parks. MIB is a family favorite and IMO the best of best of that type of ride in any park, I think they set the bar with that one. Universal does miss at times as does Disney but Universal at the moment seems to be grasping, planning and executing better than Disney does for the time being anyhow. FLE likely turned out better than it would have if they didn't stop, regroup and come up with a better plan than Fairy's that were popular when draw but faded quickly but because of that misstep you have an expansion that couldn't be completed until 2014. Same with Avatar, if it comes at all, I've lost track how far off the target date is for that now, maybe 2017??? This is why on longer vacations we visit both sets of parks though, hit all the attractions I appreciate and skip the "Stitch" type attractions that still are hanging around for whatever reason. There is great attractions in them all, (fewest in AK of them all) and just skip the clunkers.

As much as the MK needed more space, FLE didn't address the biggest bottle necks for parades, wishes and castle shows especially since Disney started reserving major chunks as reserved, hard ticket areas. I was disappointed with the expansion that Disney didn't find a way to use all sides of the castle to disperse the crowds clogging the front of the castle.

Which brings me back to the obvious question: why continue going?

We're talking about a none too inexpensive vacation here. I've never known folks who went to the same place year in and year out, complained out how meh the whole affair has become, yet still keep returning, and putting a serious dent in their bank account doing so.

I mean, you still go every year, right? And I believe HG does as well.

Why?

Because it's one stop in Orlando, along with Sea World and Universal. I buy 7-10 year non expiration passes for Disney. I do the four parks in one day, sometimes 2 if I'm with a bigger group who can't hang. I get at least 7 years for my money. Makes perfect sense.

Huh?

Are you talking about an annual pass with renewal? I'm not familiar with non expiration passes.

I buy a 7-10 day pass and tack on the non-expiration option. This way, whatever I don't use carries over from year to year. I'm not one to take a seven-day vacation in Orlando and then go to the parks every single day for seven days. That's a waste of time and money.

Which brings me back to the obvious question: why continue going?

We're talking about a none too inexpensive vacation here. I've never known folks who went to the same place year in and year out, complained out how meh the whole affair has become, yet still keep returning, and putting a serious dent in their bank account doing so.

I mean, you still go every year, right? And I believe HG does as well.

Why?
    My DH and I, then DH, children and I have gone to WDW annually for generally 2 weeks at a time since 1984. I went prior to that but day trips going to Florida as we would do Spring, or a major chunk of spring in either Ft.Lauderdale or St. Pete as I grew up. Let me tell you spending week after week in Florida as I was growing up with the choice of pool, sand/open water, golf was enough to make me put my head through a wall. I had enough of Lum's and Morrison Cafeteria's to last a lifetime. Enter my Honeymoon to Disneyland and subsequent trips to WDW with our family. About the time my DS was born the first moderate hotel opened. It was perfect little pool for a toddler. We go into the parks every other day. We did water parks, Sea World, mini golf. As they aged we would go to the parks daily but not from open to close, often we arrived early to mid afternoon. We more often than not went in the fall, it include full breakfasts everyday and other perks. Sometimes we would get AP's other times we would buy 10 day passes that never expired at that time. We still have many passes around the house with days left on each of them. There was always something to do, it was clean, family orientated and very reasonable in the fall. We stopped going every year for 2 weeks when they were in high school and tried to wrap it around days off or Christmas vacation. Once we had 2 kids in college we actually didn't go for a few years 'cause college, well it is expensive but did go when my DS did a CP in 2007. I went down this year to see my son and the discount again was excellent and park passes free. Hoping to go down for a quick in and out in a few weeks if the stars align just to get a glimpse.

Our trips were about family time. Something that we all could do together and not be bored out of our wits sitting there just staring at one another and I'm not the type to oh and ahh over a canyon or monuments. I have zilch tolerance for road trips. We fly. Heck I shipped my sons life down to Florida via UPS over us doing a road trip. My kids grew up Disney and I will lay odds their children to be someday will also. There is so much I admire.
    Yet I am not blind to the things Disney Scr@ws up and neglects. Nor when Disney is faultering. Years ago I watched them mess up their QS food by subcontracting it out. I again watched them mess up by subcontracting out their spas. I watched them mess up The Disney Stores by selling them off. Those things they too recognized and fixed.

Disney has let WDW go from the infrastructure on up for many, many years now. Spending so much time there for decades I can see what is neglected. I can see real sky from Norway. I saw unintended waterfalls in WoL.
    I saw error messages throughout Imagination ride. I got stuck on Splash, Monorail. I feel Space shake as I ride, not its intended experience. I got to see Space with its lights on. I saw years of the parks being dirty, thank goodness this isn't the case anymore. I listened to my son go to Heck and back when the power went down at TTC and both of the generator systems failed. A day nobody will forget that experienced it.

The list is endless and it will take Disney a long, long time to fix all the things they have neglected for over a decade. It appears they have a punch list but because the focus was not on WDW for too long it will take a decade to undo what they have done. What bugs me more is their flip flop, can't make up their mind what they want anything to be going forward. Or bringing in American Idol. Stuff like that just makes imagineering look weak.

Yet I love Disney. I can play on Buzz, Ride Rock'n and Thunder over and over, giggle like a kid at Jungle Cruise, Ride Everest even though the theming is gone, sing through the Pirates, learn to draw at the Studios, enjoy being dropped from TTT. I love both water parks, I enjoy mini golf. I've learned what restaurants are really good and which ones use heat lamps. I can snack around the parks on wonderful treats and drink around the world in the evening, though if I really did that I'd fall down. I love the WS in the evening, very charming. Illuminations is great though I wouldn't be sad for a completely new show and be done with the millenium. And that is what I also love about Universal. It started off like AK, not so much to do, wasn't a fan, but it evolved. Portofino is the finest hotel I've ever stayed at. Sure there are some things I don't like but there is more I like at Universal than I dislike. Same goes for Disney. Disney has it faults, this decade more than I've ever seen but still there is plenty still to do, plenty that I like. I bid a fond farewell to the Old TT on her last day, blessed she didn't break while I was on it. I will remain dumbfounded about making FLE all about Princesses. As a mother of a boy who would have balked I just wish I understood the need to theme the entire expansion Princesses there is so much more to Fantasy. Likely I will never comprehend the direction they chose other than it was quick because Mermaid had already been blueprinted on the West Coast and had broken ground.

So there you go. That is why I go.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast