Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Fantasyland Enchanted Forest-Now in Soft opening! in the News & Rumors forums; But does that really matter though, Mike? Is authenticity the real factor?...
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: Fantasyland Enchanted Forest-Now in Soft opening!

But does that really matter though, Mike?

Is authenticity the real factor?

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

To me? No. As long as it LOOKS similar, then fine. But do I know/care where that bicycle came from? Absolutely not. Is it going to enhance my experience? As an average park visitor? No. Did Rohde get to travel extensively to reserach that bike? You bet your life he did. But at the end of the day, the average family isn't there to see authenticity. Heck, the main icon, the tree, is fake. So why does the bike or the string of flags have to be real?
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    As for the Yeti, of course it's a central figure. But, just because he doesn't swing his arm in a scene that flashes by in seconds means the theming is gone? I simply don't agree with that.

Also, does it matter how the casual observer sees the EE queue? It's themed to the extreme. Isn't that what makes WDW the leader in theme parks?

BTW, true story: the first time we rode EE, my wife and son didn't even see the Yeti. And both instantly proclaimed it to be their favorite attraction on property. Same for me, even though I did see the Yeti. That fact that it's now in B mode doesn't change my opinion of the ride whatsoever.
    And any first-time visitor to AK has no idea that the Yeti isn't fully functional anyway, so their experience isn't tarnished.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

That's cool, take your time. Posting from a mobile can be a pain when you've got a lot to say.

I can see the point you're getting at concerning the Mountains, but I still think it's a minor quibble.

As for your Browns, I actually like what I see there, all things considered. Weeden looks fairly legit, although I thought McCoy was yanked too soon. Richardson has completely surprised me because I have little faith in rookie running backs these days. And for good reason, I'm sure you'd agree. Gordon is a bigger deep threat than most think, even with his big games this year. And Joe Haden might be one of the top five corners in the game right now.

Of course there is more to it than just those players, but I think that's a really impressive core to build around. Even if Weeden is a little older than your average rookie QB...

And let's face it, the division is coming around to them. Baltimore is getting older and breaking down by the week, even if they do still have a good record. Same story in Pittsburgh. The Bengels are ahead of the game, especially with that wicked Dalton/Green combo. But, your boys are sneaking up...

I wouldn't be too down on them because of their record. They're actually much better than their record, IMO.
    Can we turn this into a Browns thread without getting too far off topic? Finally, someone agrees with me on McCoy vs. Weedon. My biggest issue is Weedon wasn't first round pick material. Second rounder no doubt. McCoy was solid and had a grasp of Shurmer's terrible offensive playbook. We should have beaten Philly, Dallas and Cincy.

Now back to Disney and the Yeti. I watched the Travel Channel Disney shows again the other day. Of course EE was on it and the terrifying Yeti. Man when that thing moved it was pretty neat. For me, not the average visitor, seeing that is a constant reminder that Disney could do better.

I've never really been one that saw the FLE as Disney's response to Harry Potter. I know it started out as an area for Tinkerbell and her friends but now I see it as Disney's response to an overcrowded Fantasyland that is way too bottlenecked thanks to the popularity of the Princesses. I know there's more to Fantasyland then princesses but the average visitor doesn't. FLE opens that area up and I'm fine with it. I just wish Snow White could have been saved or even moved to be part of her area. I don't think it would have diminished the Mine Coaster at all. In fact, the more attractions or rides Disney has the better for everyone!

For my two cents, Disney's answer to Harry Potter is Star Wars. I think DHS is going to get a lot of work soon and man am I excited.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post

Now back to Disney and the Yeti. I watched the Travel Channel Disney shows again the other day. Of course EE was on it and the terrifying Yeti. Man when that thing moved it was pretty neat. For me, not the average visitor, seeing that is a constant reminder that Disney could do better.
    I'm not the average visitor either and broken does make a difference in the experience. In April not only was Yeti still his strobe lights were not working either and in the last room you couldn't even see him.

I've never really been one that saw the FLE as Disney's response to Harry Potter. I know it started out as an area for Tinkerbell and her friends but now I see it as Disney's response to an overcrowded Fantasyland that is way too bottlenecked thanks to the popularity of the Princesses. I know there's more to Fantasyland then princesses but the average visitor doesn't. FLE opens that area up and I'm fine with it. I just wish Snow White could have been saved or even moved to be part of her area. I don't think it would have diminished the Mine Coaster at all. In fact, the more attractions or rides Disney has the better for everyone!

For my two cents, Disney's answer to Harry Potter is Star Wars. I think DHS is going to get a lot of work soon and man am I excited.
    The pictures my DS sent me from the days before Thanksgiving Day, Mermaid did not have a wait time, you had to walk the queue but then loaded. FLE was moderately crowded. Old FL was packed and still bottle necked. This might not change until the Train opens in 2014 since the Train slices Circus off from FLE. What I am seeing in the pictures, there really isn't that much "room" in the FLE, the areas appear to be pretty small, I don't know what I was imagining all this time but it is tighter in there than what I visualized in my head from drawings. Mermaid does seem to be a very good people eater, it does appear to have a very good load ratio.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by ohio
    I've never really been one that saw the FLE as Disney's response to Harry Potter.
    And my thing was always: who cares if it was?

I always saw it as a way for them to expand beyond the Utilidors, expand capacity in a land that didn't have much of it to begin with, and use that to counteract future large-scale expansions/refurbs.

Wow, Pooterville has two refurbed coasters and a Kuka arm. Good for them. They're more of a rollercoaster/thrill ride park, and always have been. With slightly better theming than your average Six Flags. They only recently learned that if they want to actually compete with WDW they need to take theming far more seriously. Hulk's, and Doctor Doom's simply won't cut it.

For me, not the average visitor, seeing that is a constant reminder that Disney could do better.
    This is what must make me an average visitor, even though I've been to the World around 60 times in my life. It just doesn't bother me enough. wow, they had an engineering fail. Doesn't diminish the ride one bit for me.

I miss the descent of Spaceship Earth. Still, it barely diminishes anything. It's still one of my favorite rides on property.

The "bouncing turtles" on Splash aren't working. I don't really care. Still an excellent ride.

And so on...

Wow, Pooterville has two refurbed coasters and a Kuka arm. Good for them. They're more of a rollercoaster/thrill ride park, and always have been. With slightly better theming than your average Six Flags. They only recently learned that if they want to actually compete with WDW they need to take theming far more seriously. Hulk's, and Doctor Doom's simply won't cut it.

This is what must make me an average visitor, even though I've been to the World around 60 times in my life. It just doesn't bother me enough. wow, they had an engineering fail. Doesn't diminish the ride one bit for me.

I miss the descent of Spaceship Earth. Still, it barely diminishes anything. It's still one of my favorite rides on property.

The "bouncing turtles" on Splash aren't working. I don't really care. Still an excellent ride.

And so on...
    Interesting. Two different expectations for Universal vs Disney. Universals HP is Pooterville because it repurposed coasters with amazing theming. Disney is great because it took Barnstormer and re-purposed it Goofini with less theming than when the attraction originally opened in B-Day Land. I'll take Pooterville version of re-theming an old coaster over Disney's retheming of Goofini. Universal wins for creativity for repurposed coasters. I can't imagine Universal's business model is to duplicated or aspire to create Disney's unrecoverable theming/engineering fails like Yeti.

Now, Universal should emulated Disney by creating inoperable theming as Splash Mountain and Yeti that that fails to work on the premise the average guest doesn't care and theming left for long lengths of time at Disney doesn't diminish the experience. If the premise is that theming or broken theming doesn't matter for Disney or Disney guests, I cannot imagine why Universal should model Disney who doesn't have the wherewithal, funding or ability to maintain their theming on some of its most major attractions.

It is OK for Disney to cut budget corners and basically remove the descent theming of Spaceship Earth that was once excellent and replace with curtains yet criticize Universal for not keeping up with the curtain experience.

I am not finding the average guest supporting convoluted logic. Likely Universal is taking a serious look at what Disney does correctly and what it does poorly. Also,what types of theming Disney can create but engineers can't stay on top of and likely Universal has created a business model for expansion that will pay dividends over the long haul, not dependent on sponsors to to keep their attractions from deterioration. Hopefully Universal doesn't want to aspire to Disney's bar set for WoL, Imagination, Norway, Sounds Dangerous, Wharf, Tree of Life, type of theming. Likely Universal is aiming at Disney's old school quality and well maintained attractions like, Pirates, Dumbo, carousel, TTT, Rock'n, Movie Ride, Thunder, etc. All different experiences yet sustainable. Sustainable seems to allude Disney as of late.

I am looking forward to Test Tracks return and seeing its new theming. As years go on I will be interested to see if Disney can keep up with the repairs and operation of the masses of touch screen computers utilized for guests to experience the pre-ride, ride and post ride. If Disney can pull off vast amounts of guests needing to utilize a touch screen without the bottlenecks their imagineers should receive great accolades. If Disney can keep all this technology operational over the long haul they will deserve major kudos. The touch screens at QS BoG are creating bottlenecks and delays currently. Will be interested to see how the bottlenecks and malfunctioning of some of the Roses at BoG are addressed. It is new so it is either just getting the bugs out or theming beyond ability to support.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

It's actually funny looking at the TEA figures for theme park attendance last year. The MK alone had over 10 million more visitors than Islands of Adventure. And that's counting the 29% increase IoA saw from 2010 to 2011 thanks to Pooterville (added to the 36% from '09 to '10...).

The worst of the four WDW parks, DHS, still had over 2 million more visitors than IoA.

But WDW is in trouble! The FLE was meant to counter Pooterville! Universal is starting to draw away more of the WDW visitors!

Um, yeah...

I don't ride Forbidden Journey and think of it as an updated version of an old ride. It's an amazing ride, no matter what it started off as. Have you ever even ridden it? From your comments, it doesn't sound as if you have.

Though I was going to mention the Dr. Doom comparison but you beat me to it. Taking a freefall ride and repainting it, a la Six Flags, in that case, it's not a new ride. Putting in a masterful piece of technology like they did with HP, that's a totally different thing.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post

Though I was going to mention the Dr. Doom comparison but you beat me to it. Taking a freefall ride and repainting it, a la Six Flags, in that case, it's not a new ride. Putting in a masterful piece of technology like they did with HP, that's a totally different thing.
    Sure it is. And good for them for waking up and realizing if they're going to try to compete in the theme park world, theming is actually quite important.

And no, I haven't been to IoA in 15 years, or more. I think. Spiderman was there the last time I went.

I'm sure Pooterville is a real hoot, but I have no interest in the books, and/or the movies and honestly don't care to spend the money just to see that one part of the park so I can ride Dueling Dragons, a Kuka arm and eat the most godawful food this side of Six Flags (unless they've improved it since last time I was there).

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    I have heard nothing on these thrilling restrooms of which you speak. Tell me more!
    Well the themed restrooms, Rapunzel's tower just appeared! Yeah I know Tangled. I'm kinda impressed the tower, looks identical to the one in Tangled.

Last edited by HauntedGabe; 11-30-2012 at 09:38 AM.

As I thought about the tower, this is right up against the Haunted Mansion, wonder if the tower will bleed into the mansions sight lines. Dumbo still bleeds into Tomorrowland.

Disney picked the perfect spot to show the beauty of the expansion. Perfect backdrop.

What a perfect photo-op, no cranes, construction or walls. Excellent choice.

And then I saw this on ABC News and laughed at the headline until I had tears.

Magic Kingdom Expansion Focused on Boys

With a winding stone pathway leading the way, guests are invited into Belle's childhood home for an inside look into Maurice's workshop at Enchanted Tales with Belle.

I can only imagine what the assignment to this reporter was, 'find an angle to sell to guests and media that boys will love Princessland too.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

There is no doubt that FLE's target audience are the girls with the exception of the Circus area which of course appeals to small children and parents. But as the father of three girls, Fantasyland always has been targeted towards the girlies excluding PhilarMagic and It's a Small World.

The imagery is amazing. The content so far is lackluster. But with three girls in tow, I know I'll be spending quiet a bit of time there.

I am looking forward to getting my picture taken with Gaston though. Villians are my favorite.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast